What is wrong with the Atlanta Falcons?

Dome

Going into the season their 22 starters compared to just about any team in the league.

Matt Ryan has shown he can play at a very high level. Julio is one of two ELITE WRs in the NFL imo.

Neal is out, but they were struggling before that. Their defense isn’t stacked but they have good talent all around with a few very good players sprinkled in.

Can they right the ship? What needs to change?

10 minutes ago, Dome said:

Going into the season their 22 starters compared to just about any team in the league.

Matt Ryan has shown he can play at a very high level. Julio is one of two ELITE WRs in the NFL imo.

Neal is out, but they were struggling before that. Their defense isn’t stacked but they have good talent all around with a few very good players sprinkled in.

Can they right the ship? What needs to change?

Dan Quinn mostly. Offensive hires he has no idea what he’s doing since Shanahan left. Quinns an amazing DC, but not a HC. That 2016 team was all Kyle. 

As for Julio, I’ve always been in the minority on that. Julio is always shut down by elite corners way to easily. He’s the most athletic receiver but guys like AB and Hopkins are rarely shut out have a larger skillset. 

Koetter's scheme will be the issue. 

Being unable to run the ball wont be helping Atlanta, nor will having an offence heavily reliant on air yards and deep stop routes. 

They'll finish high up the league in passing yards, but that’s all fairly meaningless if you can’t run the ball and control a game.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thinks that people are beginning to overrate Matt Ryan? Yeah, he was the league MVP in 2016, but so were plenty of other Hall-of-Very-Good QBs, including Earl Morrall, Roman Gabriel, John Brodie, Bert Jones, Brian Sipe, Joe Theismann, Boomer Esiason, Rich Gannon, Steve McNair and Cam Newton. He's had only two seasons in his career with a triple-digit passer rating, and so far this season he's tied with Josh Allen, Jared Goff and Baker Mayfield for the league lead in INTs. I'm beginning to think that 2016 was just lightning in a bottle, and he's really just a modern-day Boomer Esiason.

• Like 1

I'll say the same thing I said in that thread. Kyle Shanahan is the only reason people think they have a good offense. He hasn't been there for a few years. 

People still view them as the team that put up a lot of points, when in reality they were playing above their pay grade because they had a top 2 offensive mind in football calling plays. 

They were just never that good 

• Like 1

It's the same thing that happened last year with the Vikings when they couldn't run the ball. Freeman is washed up .... Teams do not fear they ground attack and they have a bad oline. Ryan is also doing stupid stuff like Cousins. But they don't have the same defense so it's going to be a tough season

37 minutes ago, N4L said:

I'll say the same thing I said in that thread. Kyle Shanahan is the only reason people think they have a good offense. He hasn't been there for a few years. 

People still view them as the team that put up a lot of points, when in reality they were playing above their pay grade because they had a top 2 offensive mind in football calling plays. 

They were just never that good 

Right. But why? Matt Ryan isn’t a bad QB, Julio/Ridley/Sanu are a fine trio and Hooper is a good player too. Freeman is real good when healthy, and Ito Smith has got some juice.

Even with a bad line and a lesser coach they should be playing better than they are. They’re basically at their floor right now.

What could a coach do to make the pieces they have work on offense? They’re not devoid of talent.

Edited by Dome

50 minutes ago, Dome said:

Right. But why? Matt Ryan isn’t a bad QB, Julio/Ridley/Sanu are a fine trio and Hooper is a good player too. Freeman is real good when healthy, and Ito Smith has got some juice.

Even with a bad line and a lesser coach they should be playing better than they are. They’re basically at their floor right now.

What could a coach do to make the pieces they have work on offense? They’re not devoid of talent.

That sounds a bit like the Bucs of the last five years with Koetter calling the offense.

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Dan Quinn mostly. Offensive hires he has no idea what he’s doing since Shanahan left. Quinns an amazing DC, but not a HC. That 2016 team was all Kyle. 

As for Julio, I’ve always been in the minority on that. Julio is always shut down by elite corners way to easily. He’s the most athletic receiver but guys like AB and Hopkins are rarely shut out have a larger skillset. 

I mean, Hopkins has pretty much been shutout after the Saints game ended. Not all his fault, but he definitely hasn’t been the Hopkins as old.