Game 5: Colts at Arrowhead GDT

onejayhawk

The Chiefs are a big favorite after getting a lot of good press for gutting out a win on the road.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/01/chiefs-open-as-big-favorites-over-colts-in-week-5/

FBO puts us #4 with the #1 offense, middle of the league defense and surprisingly poor special teams. Indy is #26 with a top 10 offense but retched defense and ST. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2019

How about a three TD blowout. It would make prepping for Houston a lot easier.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The Chiefs are a big favorite after getting a lot of good press for gutting out a win on the road.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/01/chiefs-open-as-big-favorites-over-colts-in-week-5/

FBO puts us #4 with the #1 offense, middle of the league defense and surprisingly poor special teams. Indy is #26 with a top 10 offense but retched defense and ST. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2019

How about a three TD blowout. It would make prepping for Houston a lot easier.

J

I would imagine a fumble on a kick return, in a small sample size, probably greatly impacts the ST ranking. That along with some bad choices by DAT and Pringle.

• Like 1

The more I see on Stafford, the more I understand what a monster game he had. We played good defense and he shredded it. When the other team plays their very best, you are going to look a bit off. Patrick's version of a bit off is still better than league average. 

Some small tidbits.

• By FBO metrics, The Colts have the only worse run defense than ours.
  • The SOS against our offense has been top 10 so far, but against the defense, bottom 10. 
  • Mahomes continues top five since inception (2006) in ESPN's QBR rankings.
  • Our playoff win against the Colts is remembered as a defensive win.

J

On 10/1/2019 at 7:11 PM, Jakuvious said:

I would imagine a fumble on a kick return, in a small sample size, probably greatly impacts the ST ranking. That along with some bad choices by DAT and Pringle.

Lots of penalties too.

Will be another good game. On my birthday so i hope we win.😁

Morris Claiborne joins the team and Jeff Allen leaves. I feel a bit for Allen, since this may be the end of his road, but he didn't beat the kids. Claiborne was in the running for top CB the year he came out. Injuries, loss of speed and off the field issues made him a cheap pickup. We'll see how it works. As it is, it's unclear where he will play.

Here's an interesting tidbit.  

I thought we were supposed to be desperate for a CB and the secondary was a wasteland. 

J

2 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Welp I have Shady and both williams on my fantasy team. Is Shady still looking like the main ball carrier with the Williams pass blocking / pass catching??

Last week Shady got most carries (I believe) but got vultured by DWill2. Safe bet, I would, go with Shady as I think he's been the most productive runner and is Andy's "ole reliable".

Wire has an article on 5 things to watch in the game. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/05/5-things-to-watch-for-in-kansas-city-chiefs-vs-indianapolis-colts-week-5/

1. How many snaps Mo Claiborne plays?
  2. How Frank the Tank plays
  3. How the RB rotation handles the return of Damien Williams
  4. Justin Houston's return
  5. Will the offense be flat again?

I don't thing Claiborne plays much for at least a couple of weeks. Our CB have not disappointed so far. Clark has drawn a lot of attention. We will see what happens if the attention is spread thinner. Like Claiborne, the other D Williams will need to win time. Houston will be one of the better players in a weak defense.

Five is the big one. Is this case, we saw first hand why Detroit is a surprise team. Their defense was not geared to stopping anything. Instead, they tried to alter the pace and nudge the patterns a bit. I suspect it will be quite different against a mediocre (at best) defense. 

My own Watch List

1. Do the Chiefs run effectively? It's much harder to stop Mahomes on 2nd and 4, or 3rd and 1.
  2. Do the Chiefs score on their first possession as they did so often last year?
  3. How well does the defense cope with another top 10 running attack?
  4. Does the Special Teams play return to levels we have come to expect?
  5. How well can the defense harass Jacoby Brissett? He has been a new face, but now there is a month of tape.

J