GDT - Week 5 - A Monday Nighter in the Afternoon?

brooks1957

5 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Therefore, Sherman who much like Baker looks for any and everything potential sign as a slight to fuel him likely took Baker not seeing his hand right away as some sort of purposeful slight even if it wasn't

You hit the nail on the head. Sherman is Sherman. I despised him in Seattle and I'm happy to have his leadership on this young team, but he was in the wrong here 

He needs that disrespect to fuel him. Some guys do. Whatever. He's not the same player and honestly I don't understand why more teams don't go at him 

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Hue Jackson - Team had no talent, team fought

Gregg Williams - Team had better talent, team fought

Freddie Kitchens - Team has great talent, team lays down at the first sight of adversity

Quit making excuses for the guy...

I can put play calling, schemes, sub packages/personnel, etc on a coach, but I can’t put heart on a coach.

If you need a dude to yell in your face to light your fire and compete, you’re in the wrong line of work.

I realize I’m in the minority, but heart and discipline are on the players, not the coaches.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I can put play calling, schemes, sub packages/personnel, etc on a coach, but I can’t put heart on a coach.

If you need a dude to yell in your face to light your fire and compete, you’re in the wrong line of work.

I realize I’m in the minority, but heart and discipline are on the players, not the coaches.

you are right and you are wrong. its up to the players to bring the fire every day. its up to the coach to get guys in line when they dont. If the team doesnt have the fire, its both on the coaches, and on the players.

Just like your offensive struggles. Its on the OL to give Baker more time. Its on Baker to move better in the pocket and get rid of the ball faster. Its on your coaching staff to figure out ways to either give baker a clean pocket, or to move him in a way that gives him space. Failure to do all three is when you look as bad as you did on Monday. 

Anyways, I just rewatched the game. You guys honestly didnt look that bad in the first half. Your defense is athletic but young and somewhat undisciplined. I really think you need to add a veteran defensive player that can take some of these young guys under his wing. Sometimes young guys who get by on only athleticism can be hard to coach. Sometimes it takes a good beat down to realize that you need to listen more closely to what your coaches are saying. Its year one in a new scheme and we are honestly one of the harder offenses to slow down. We have the best run game BY FAR.

Your offense wasnt that far off in the first half. I think if RSJ gets both feet down on the first drive and if calloway catches that easy TD that this game has a different feel. There were definitely some good play designs that we werent all that ready for, and there were a few times when baker had passes tipped that were definitely going to go to an open guy. I think it was just not your night and things snowballed on you guys. Kitchens did some dumb things like trying to block bosa only with a TE, and basically exclusively running slow developing routes, but I actually think he called a better game than everyone is giving him credit for right now. Hes not an offensive genius but he does seem competent enough at creating and implementing game plans. 

I think you will be fine, assuming everyone stays the course. Its a long season. This was a bit of a wake up call, and honestly I think this is one of those rare times it helps to have a short week. Get back on the horse right away and put this game behind you. 

Back in 2007 when the niners were horrendous, Mike Nolan said something that really resonated with me: "at first, a team hopes they can win. Then after a while, the team might start to believe they could win. Then a team knows it should win" you cant go from hope to should win. You have to go through each step. Right now you are still in that hoping phase. It has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the mental side of success. Its one of those things that just takes time. Its a long season. The good thing is that you will find out what sort of team you have really quick. I think Baker holds himself accountable. I bet he is a little quieter in the media from now on. thats a good start. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2