GDT - Week 5 - A Monday Nighter in the Afternoon?

brooks1957

8 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

That would be cool, but what I would like to see is Jamie hammering the Niners continually within their own 10 yard line all night long.

He's going to have plenty of opportunities to punt on Monday. That is, assuming baker doesn't hand it over on some of the 3rd and longs you guys will be facing after some early negative plays. 

I expect to see baker do his signature crotch grab a lot this monday, except this time it will be to make sure everything is still there 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

He's going to have plenty of opportunities to punt on Monday. That is, assuming baker doesn't hand it over on some of the 3rd and longs you guys will be facing after some early negative plays. 

I expect to see baker do his signature crotch grab a lot this monday, except this time it will be to make sure everything is still there 

I see we have another member of the "you guys sucked last year, so you are always gonna suck" club among us. I don't discount the fact this is a road test for us, and the Niners pass rush COULD overcome our offensive line. However, I also think we are getting healthier and have the talent in the skill positions to have a number of damaging quick strike plays.

50 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

It maybe me but i think the 49ers are a much weaker team then the ravens

Nah, I think they're better than Baltimore.  They have a better QB and better defense.  And they're extremely well-coached (not that the Ravens are poorly coached, but the coaching is better in San Fran imo).  And that same good coaching staff has had a bye week to game plan for us.

Not saying we can't win, but I would consider a win on Monday to be more impressive than the win at Baltimore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Nah, I think they're better than Baltimore.  They have a better QB and better defense.  And they're extremely well-coached (not that the Ravens are poorly coached, but the coaching is better in San Fran imo).  And that same good coaching staff has had a bye week to game plan for us.

Not saying we can't win, but I would consider a win on Monday to be more impressive than the win at Baltimore.

Disagree. Slightly better QB, but he isn't a world beater or anything. I think SF is crazy overrated right now

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Disagree. Slightly better QB, but he isn't a world beater or anything. I think SF is crazy overrated right now

Too soon to know what Jimmy is in my opinion. Less than a season's full of starts and he's still making some bad rookie mistakes if we are going to be honest about it. He's got a really weird profile - his interceptions are ungodly high, but his peripherals are all excellent. Yards per attempt, adjusted net yards are extremely good in comparison to the rest of the league. But dude just throws so many picks (not to mention the ones that are dropped). Its very odd. 

Secondarily, "crazy overrated" really depends on what your expectations are. If you consider them a super bowl contender (which I don't think anyone really does), they are absolutely crazy overrated. Prior to the season, on the 49er podcast, I prognosticated that we would be in that middle tier of teams that could win anything from like 7-10 games and it wouldn't be shocking. Would break based on luck, coin flip games, etc. I could see a path to 10-11 wins, but it certainly would require some luck and to win those games that could go either way. Also, team would have to stay healthy. So far, we've won the coin flip games (well, there was probably only one - I thought the Tampa game before the season started could go either way). We got a little luck with the Big Ben injury. So that really accounts for the 3-0 start. Do I think that they could go 7-6 the rest of the way and hit 10 wins? Sure. Our schedule isn't really tough (2 games with the Cards, 1 with washington, a home date with Atlanta) with regards to opponents, though there are still several coin flip games for sure (this is one of those, in my opinion). So it's certainly possible. But we haven't had the injury luck. Staley out 6 weeks is a huge problem. Witherspoon was playing lights out at corner, only to sprain an ankle and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks. Those are huge problems. We've beaten up weak competition, no doubt...but you have to win those games, particularly if you are a middle class team. I think the defense is for real - shutting down the Bengals and Pittsburgh isn't anything to write home about, but shutting down Tampa isn't exactly nothing. They aren't the best offense, but they aren't bad. The front is legit, and Bosa is absolutely as advertised. He's struggling finishing his sacks, but he's winning a ton and getting a lot of pressures. Just no finishing yet. Hopeful that the ankle healing up will resolve that. I don't know that we are "good"...I do think that we are probably an average to above average team that could rise to the playoffs based on good fortune of a light schedule, etc. 

• Like 1