Saints LS Jon Dorenbos requires heart surgery; career likely over

TheKillerNacho

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/08/long-snapper-jon-dorenbos-needs-heart-surgery/

Dang, I know Long-snapper isn't a sexy position but him being traded sounds like it could've literally saved his life due to the physical. He had a pretty hard life too, but seems like a good guy (I recall him doing a lot of charity work in Philly when he was here). Really hope he comes out okay on this.

On a football note, who do the Saints turn to at Long-snapper with Week 1 just a couple days away? Not having a solid long-snapper can lead to some serious botches...

2 minutes ago, saintsfan said:

Justin Drescher. He was ours for a while but we released him with an injury settlement after trading for Jon

Seems like the obvious replacement then, assuming he's healthy and still willing considering the Saints attempting to replace him.

Was Dresher bad or hurt? A team trading for a longsnapper is kinda strange.

15 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Seems like the obvious replacement then, assuming he's healthy and still willing considering the Saints attempting to replace him.

Was Dresher bad or hurt? A team trading for a longsnapper is kinda strange.

He was mediocre and got hurt in preseason. We had brought in 3 other LS during the offseason as potential replacements. I don't see us resigning him, especially if he is legitimately injured

Long Snapper is one of those positions that a lot of people make light of, but it's extremely important to have one that knows what he's doing. It's always amazing when a routine football physical turns up significant health issues. If it wasn't for this physical, he could have suffered a tragic event which would have been devastating. It absolutely sucks that Dorenbos has likely played his last down in the NFL, but it's more important to get the surgery and make sure that he lives out the rest of his life as healthy as he possibly can. With that said, it's equally amazing that this wasn't caught earlier. I suppose there could be a few reasons why it wasn't caught, but we may never know any details in that regard. I'm just glad they were able to identify the issue and that he's able to get the treatment that he needs. 

Oh man... Imagine if the saints doctors who misdiagnosed a bruise for a bone break did his physical... I'm glad it was caught early and he can hopefully recover from this.

Who knows what would've happen if he was never traded....Good for the saints to throw away a draft pick on a long snapper and save his life potentially in the process.

I'd also get heart problems if I was traded to the Aints.

J/k. Happy for the guy that it was detected in time. Probably the only right diagnosis the Saints doctors have made all pre-season ;)
About the Saints throwing away the draft pick; shouldn't a trade be void if a player can't pass a physical? I can't imagine a trade agreement not having language like that in the contract.

From what I've read, the eagles have known about this for five years. It was just something to watch. But sometime between his last physical and his one with the saints was when it got serious.

So the trade literally saved his life. I guess we don't get the seventh though.

Is Jon Dorenbos the most popular/famous long snapper ever though? My grandma wouldn't be able to name Tom Brady if asked about current football players but she would say "that nice boy who does magic."

Archived