GDT 10/6/19 Week 5: 2-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-3 Pitsbirhg steels

DreamKid

After one week of ”the sky is falling”, I want to point out the things I feel I know is something we can and will do, and also point towards how we can and should improve

I believe the players we have on defense can do well enough, so we don’t have to get used to getting gashed for 400-500 yards a game

I believe we are a team which doesn’t just turns the ball over three times a game and collapse on defense, I believe we will bounce back

I believe we have more talent on offense, than we have actually seen so far this season.

I believe both Roman and Wink can do a better job once they recognize what we need to change

But

We have to do something on defense, and I feel right now that scheming is the key. If communication is still an issue, simplify. Humphrey is good, let him take his receiver out of the game. Let Jefferson be a sole box defender, let Earl Thomas play deep and take away that part of the passing game. Let Peanut play his role as weakside linebacker where he succeeded last year and get Levine on the field more. We have contain rushers rather than explosive types on the dline, but fast players at linebacker and Elliot/Clark, have them be a bigger part of the pass rush

On offense, don’t force feed Brown and Andrews. Snead, Boykin, Hurst can also catch the ball – make the defense respect them as well. Get the gus bus rolling and maybe go back to what we know works with running the ball which is Romans strength.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danand said:

But

We have to do something on defense, and I feel right now that scheming is the key. If communication is still an issue, simplify. Humphrey is good, let him take his receiver out of the game. Let Jefferson be a sole box defender, let Earl Thomas play deep and take away that part of the passing game. Let Peanut play his role as weakside linebacker where he succeeded last year and get Levine on the field more. We have contain rushers rather than explosive types on the dline, but fast players at linebacker and Elliot/Clark, have them be a bigger part of the pass rush

This is something I'm on board with and was thinking about myself. Board and Fort should rotate some at MIKE and let Onwuasor and Young go back to WILL and get back to what they were doing last year.

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

This is something I'm on board with and was thinking about myself. Board and Fort should rotate some at MIKE and let Onwuasor and Young go back to WILL and get back to what they were doing last year.

I think most of what I am suggesting is going back to what we did last year. If we do that, we have to find the CJ Mosley role who may be limited in speed and athleticism and coverage, but makes sound decision, fills his gaps, sits where he is supposed to be in zone. Then let our faster and more athletic players work around that guy to make the splash plays. 

Some of the criticism on Wink when he was with the Broncos was how aggressive he was in spite of having players who could perform according to their role. 

48 minutes ago, Danand said:

I think most of what I am suggesting is going back to what we did last year. If we do that, we have to find the CJ Mosley role who may be limited in speed and athleticism and coverage, but makes sound decision, fills his gaps, sits where he is supposed to be in zone. Then let our faster and more athletic players work around that guy to make the splash plays. 

Some of the criticism on Wink when he was with the Broncos was how aggressive he was in spite of having players who could perform according to their role. 

From I've everything gathered so far LJ Fort might actually be capable. 

PFF graded him slightly better than both CJ and Peanut last year but he did only play 305 snaps.

Edited by BareYourTeeth

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Our defense is playing for the season and their pride this week. Can't lose to Mr Checkdown Mason Rudolph.

Yeah this should be a game where we're facing a limited QB and an offense possibly without James Conner. Let Marlon lock down JuJu and then get after Rudolph and force him to throw into coverage (preferrably man coverage...)

I have no idea of where Josh Bynes is in his career. He was a favorite of mine back at draft time, obviously he was a UDFA, because of his special teams ability but also because he was a vocal leader, team captain and playcaller for his defense back in college. He was disciplined and a good tackler, a typical 2 down player back then.

If he can be that type for us, maybe he is a part of the solution. The question is how much we have to accept that he can be picked on in coverage, and that he doesn’t have the speed and athleticism to be a sideline to sideline player.

Being a part of the solution could be the coaching staff accepting, that we put in a lesser talent to do a few things solid, and at the same time allowing us to use players like Onwuasor, Young and Board better

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Danand said:

I have no idea of where Josh Bynes is in his career. He was a favorite of mine back at draft time, obviously he was a UDFA, because of his special teams ability but also because he was a vocal leader, team captain and playcaller for his defense back in college. He was disciplined and a good tackler, a typical 2 down player back then.

If he can be that type for us, maybe he is a part of the solution. The question is how much we have to accept that he can be picked on in coverage, and that he doesn’t have the speed and athleticism to be a sideline to sideline player.

Being a part of the solution could be the coaching staff accepting, that we put in a lesser talent to do a few things solid, and at the same time allowing us to use players like Onwuasor, Young and Board better

I mean, our LB play can't get worse. We just need one of the LBers to be fundamentally sound and smart. 

I think for me this says more about the lack of faith the coaches have in Peanuts’ communication skills. Which means we probably let him walk elsewhere.

Young can make the calls next year as he can graduate over to Peanuts role. We still need to draft someone, but I think solving the pass rush is still the much bigger issue.

Especially since any rookie we draft, our coaches aren’t going to hand the play calling duties over to some inexperienced rookie given the supposed complexity of our defensive system.  

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think for me this says more about the lack of faith the coaches have in Peanuts’ communication skills. Which means we probably let him walk elsewhere.

Young can make the calls next year as he can graduate over to Peanuts role. We still need to draft someone, but I think solving the pass rush is still the much bigger issue.

Especially since any rookie we draft, our coaches aren’t going to hand the play calling duties over to some inexperienced rookie given the supposed complexity of our defensive system.  

I think it's more of the fact that both of them have been absolutely awful this year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

While he is our best pass rusher, for what it is worth, Judon might be one player we retain while I still have some concerns about him.

43 minutes ago, Danand said:

While he is our best pass rusher, for what it is worth, Judon might be one player we retain while I still have some concerns about him.

Meh. I’d much rather we inject money into someone else available in free agency. Judon over his career has consistently shown that he needs to be schemed to success. I’ll take my chances with Bowser/Ferguson and a free agent.

I want nothing to do with the folks at the top of our pass rushing depth chart. As far as I’m concerned they’re the number one culprits of our inability to rush the passer.

I’d throw $17-$18m at Chris Jones and bank on his ability be to collapse the pocket to free things up for our outside pass rushers. Our pass rush on a 1v1, non schemed basis, has seemingly been subpar at best since Ngata stopped ragrolling interior OLs. And our best pass rush came when we had Ngata and Trevor Pryce. Jones along the interior would do wonders for our defense. Sad we couldn’t draft Jefferey Simmons. He would’ve done wonders for our defense.

• Like 2