GDT 10/6/19 Week 5: 2-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 1-3 Pitsbirhg steels

DreamKid

5 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

You are overconfident in your ability to analyze the effectiveness of our backup strong safeties. There is no where near enough data out there for a knowledgable football fan to conclude that Clark or Elliot will perform better than Jefferson. Of course I hope they do well, and I admit there is the possibility that one of them shines, if not now, eventually.

But in this case your arrogance comes off as ignorance. And saying good riddance to a Raven who suffered an injury is a petty and weak move. Young players have all the opportunity to show the Raven coaches what they can do in training camp and preseason, and there are reasons why Clark and Elliot are backups. They really haven't earned their PT yet. 

Like how so many on this board were salivating to see Bowser and Williams play this year, based on the fact that they are young, athletic, and have flashed on certain plays before. Well it turns out these guys can't perform the way the defense needs them to. Hopefully Clark/Elliot are good. But maybe they are Matt Elam. 

This is just how he is and has always bee. His "analysis" was the same with Bowser and Williams, who he said our coaching staff and other players held back.

I put him on ignore long ago, and the forum got better and less cancerous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Not sure about the legalities exactly, but I'm pretty confident the Ravens won't/can't cut him while he's injured or still recovering. He'll need to be able to pass a physical before that happens.

This is what I thought as well. This could very well be us having him for the rest of his contract with us, as I doubt he will be available next year.

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Not sure about the legalities exactly, but I'm pretty confident the Ravens won't/can't cut him while he's injured or still recovering. He'll need to be able to pass a physical before that happens.

Pretty sure they can come to an injury settlement, but I don't think any franchise would do that to a player who suffered a serious injury purely because of the optics of it.

If a team became known for cutting vets recovering from long term injuries it would certainly affect their ability to sign/re-sign talent

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Pretty sure they can come to an injury settlement, but I don't think any franchise would do that to a player who suffered a serious injury purely because of the optics of it.

If a team became known for cutting vets recovering from long term injuries it would certainly affect their ability to sign/re-sign talent

I don't believe it would happen in this case. I think people would see he was in the last year of his deal when the settlement took place and wouldn't hold that against the Ravens seeing he still got paid. And I still believe he was getting cut next year regardless.

Takeaways from week 5

1. Refs were utterly disgusting. We had previous games already this season where refs played too much of a role. Other teams have had the same complaints. NFL has to do something about the refs, because something is completely wrong with judgement. Either referees are scared to change calls, or they are confused. Still, I don’t know how they can be excused by some of the calls they make.

2. Ravens by no account look like a team who deserves to be a part of the playoffs right now. We have taken steps back on offense, while defense gets worse and worse. Pass rush is non-existent, coverage in zone is even worse and fundamentals broke down over the last couple of weeks.

3. Injuries are beginning to take their toll. A few players on offense are banged up and our deep passing game is lacking – both due to scheme and to Brown being knicked up. We finished the game with 6 starters from last year defense. Humphrey, Williams, Pierce, Carr and Levine and Judon. Quite a turnover.

4. So far the decisions in pre season are up and down. Our front office didn’t manage to fix the leak with the pass rush and they misjudged the inside linebackers.

5. Coordinators have to find a way to scheme better. We are getting beat at the lines, and it seems we can’t recover

6. For all the negativity, we are still in the better half of the AFC. If Browns win, we are among the 8 of 16 AFC teams with a positive record. Patriots have a cake walk schedule, Bills defense is stingy but offense is lacking, Chiefs showed they can be stopped and Mahomes could have a sore ankle which could limit him. We are very much in this, and teams which find a way to win in a week-to-week league can be contenders (even if it is ugly as hell)

7. Our special teams look better than last year. Both coverage and the kicking game was a big reason we won yesterday.

8. The Ravens have the highest scoring offense in the league. When was the last time we could say that after 5 games? While the Dolphins game is an outlier, we have an offense which has put up 4-5 scores a game. I think we still have some potential on offense which haven’t been revealed yet. We might have to adjust our expectations as the Steelers did a couple of years ago, where they couldn’t trust their defense, but had to trust their offense

9. Speaking of offense, we have a QB. While I think we could be 3-2 so far with Flacco as QB, it would be a completely different way. Lamars ability to escape pressure and create something with his legs is what keep this team going. He has really put the team on his back. Yesterday Hurst and Snead got more looks, but they still didn’t take what the defense gave them with huge cushions. If they can improve in that area, we will be able to get more of those short 3. Downs that kept our offense on the field more last year, which could help our defense

10. By all accounts, it seems we will be more aggressive in season with this front office. Our young players will also develop and we get to see if we have something in Clark and Elliot. It’s a young team which can still grow this season and beyond.

Go 49’ers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

Didn't see the injury but my understanding is it was an ACL? Can’t imagine he shouldn’t be “back” and sufficiently recovered from this injury in 6-10 months. Which would put him at being healthy before the season officially starts.

But maybe this injury was worse than what I heard.

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Didn't see the injury but my understanding is it was an ACL? Can’t imagine he shouldn’t be “back” and sufficiently recovered from this injury in 6-10 months. Which would put him at being healthy before the season officially starts.

But maybe this injury was worse than what I heard.

Its a judgement based on camera, but that Dr. Chao profile called it an ACL and possible LCL injury, which would prolong the recovery period

• Like 1

Ravens scored 23 in regulation against a defense starting 8 first round picks. Not too shabby.

i came to terms with the fact that this team is still a year away, can score enough to beat anybody which in itself is great to say confidently as a Ravens fan and will most definitely enter the bye week 4-2 which wasn't a given. Great position to be in, get healthy during the bye and try to trade for somebody to put pressure on the opposing QB w/o sacrificing your future and zing, you find yourself right in the thick of things in the still meager AFC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danand said:

This is just how he is and has always bee. His "analysis" was the same with Bowser and Williams, who he said our coaching staff and other players held back.

I put him on ignore long ago, and the forum got better and less cancerous.

(for everyone else)

Nobody here can explain what happened to Tim Williams. He looked promising, and then suddenly he didn't. Nobody here knows why.

Tyus Bowser won DROY in week 2 of his rookie year, then never saw more than 10 snaps the entire season. I will absolutely die on the hill that Tyus Bowsers' development was hampered by the coaching staff, because we saw what he could do both in coverage and as a pass rusher in that Browns game. Then they benched him for the rest of the year and he never developed.

At this point in time though it's clear that neither Bowser nor Williams are players that have developed in our system. Bowser is still invisible on the field and doesn't use his speed nor his athleticism when pass rushing to gain the edge - it's all just hand fighting and leverage. We just don't have pass rushers who actually bend and get around OT's, and I've always wondered if that's coaching or scheme because I know guys like Williams and Bowser absolutely have the speed/acceleration to get around the edge consistently and force QB's to step up, but they just don't do it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Danand said:

9. Speaking of offense, we have a QB. While I think we could be 3-2 so far with Flacco as QB, it would be a completely different way.

There is absolutely no way. We essentially have the same team as the Denver Broncos. I mean, honestly we could even argue that the Broncos are a more talented version of our squad in many areas yet with Flacco they’re at 1-4. Obviously part of it is coaching, scheduling, etc. But Lamar has willed us in some of these games. I honestly can’t see a way that we’re not sitting at 1-4 with Flacco and this unit. I’m sure we beat Miami, but beyond that we lose every other game.

• Like 1