DE…Roy Robertson-Harris

ILB…Danny Trevathan

ILB…Kevin Pierre-Louis

OLB…Aaron Lynch

SS…Haha Clinton-Dix

SS…Deon Bush

FS…Deandre Houston-Carson

LS…Patrick Scales

I wouldn’t mind keeping Daniel as long as it is at a much reduced rate…if not give me Matt Moore or A.J McCarron…Coward came into camp out of shape this year and it cost him…let’s see if he can respond in the right way and bring him back as a backup RT…Larsen isn’t a great player IMO but at least he offers versatility and a cheap backup inside…Williams has been a nice surprise so far this season looking like a quality backup at NT…Trevathan is such a leader for this defence and with Smith playing well but not at an elite level and his potential health issues I would like to keep him for another couple of years…KPL has show up with on special teams and seems solid as a nickel LB…Lynch is a very good #3 pass rusher in this scheme…Clinton-Dix and Eddie Jackson look to make each other better so sign HaHa up…Bush & DHC are solid backups and special teamers…Scales has always been solid.

Release…

TE…J.P Holtz

TE…Bradley Sowell

OT…Cornelius Lucas

OL…Kyle Long

ILB…Nick Kwiatkoski

OLB…Leonard Floyd

OLB…Isaiah Irving

CB…Sherrick McManis

Holtz won’t make it out of the season on this roster…same for Sowell…Lucas played well against the Redskins but I still don’t feel he is a better long term option than Coward…Long is finished and not worth the money…someone will sign Nick-K as a starter which might get us a conditional pick…Floyd I would love to keep but he is playing so well someone is going to pay him big and with the money tied up in Khalil we can’t compete…the 3rd round comp in 2021 will be nice though…Irving is just a guy…McManis has been passed up by Buster and Shelly.

Cuts…

RB…Mike Davis…save $3 million…$1 million dead

WR…Cordarrelle Patterson…save $5.25 million…$0.5 million dead

CB…Prince Amukamara…save $8 million…$1 million dead

I loved the Mike Davis signing and he has the skill set to be a fit in this offence but for whatever reason it just hasn’t worked out and we can’t be paying a hardly used backup RB $4 million a season…Patterson is a just of all trades but no way I want to pay him $5.75 million next year when it could be used on Blythe or Robinson…Amukamara has been good again this season but $9 million is just too much…time to get younger and cheaper…if you add these three at $14.25 million…Floyd at just over $13 million…and Long at around $9.6 million we all of a sudden have plenty of cap space…Eddie Jackson awaits.

Free Agency…

OG…Austin Blythe…Rams…

My number one FA target this offseason…we haven’t seen the best out of Whitehair or Daniels this year to start the season but both are clearly very talented and I have no worries that long term they will come around…Kyle Long on the other hand is a broken man who physically just can’t do it anymore…Blythe is a sneaky god OG who is rock solid in both pass pro and as a run blocker…he doesn’t have too much wear and tear on his body but does have good experience and is another guy who can play both guard or centre…for me he is plug and play on the inside at RG…as much as I am sure the Rams would love to resign him they have the likes of Peters, Talib, Fowler, Brockers & Littleton to resign.

WR…Demarcus Robinson…Chiefs…

Time for me to say something that most people won’t like…I am starting to worry about Anthony Miller…dude just can’t stay anything like 100% healthy and I don’t see him stepping up into that #2 WR role and until we need another quality option…I love Wims as an outside guy and Ridley inside but I think getting someone with experience in this offence would make a lot of sense…any time Robinson has gotten a change he has produced…only issue is those chances are limited with Kelce, Watkins & Hill in KC…Robinson would come in here and compete with Miller for that #2 spot and right now I could only see one winner…again I think the Chiefs would love to resign him but they are entering a tricky cap period especially with Chris Jones to resign.

DL…Vernon Butler…Panthers…

You can never have enough huge young physically talented DLs on your team…Butler has been a disappointment for the Panthers in their 4-3 scheme but that always felt like a miscast for me…Butler is a big space eater who has the ability to hold up against double teams and let the LBs behind him run…hopefully with the physical talents he also has a guy like Hicks can take him under his wing and show him how to disrupted the pocket as well…I see Pagano wanting to get bigger inside & Butler needing a change of scenery…who wouldn’t want to play on this D?

CB…Kendall Fuller…Chiefs…

With cutting Amukamara we are going to have to find a replacement at CB as I don’t feel Toliver is ready to just be handed the job…no doubt we draft a rookie early but having another young CB on the roster with experience starting both inside and out makes a ton of sense…Fuller brings a very similar skill set to his brother which is obviously a fit in this defence and having Kyle here should help him fit in…I really like the skill set and think he could compete for a starting role.

Draft…

Round 2…  

CB…Jaylon Jackson…6-0” 190lbs…Utah…

Prince Amukamara probably out done most of our expectations when he signed here as I think we all had concerns about his injury past but he held up well…that said his price tag opposite Fuller is just too big when we also have Eddie Jackson to extend and probably HaHa to resign…with that we look for a young CB with a very similar skill set…Jackson has prototype size, speed and athleticism for the CB spot and plays with the same kind of physicality as Prince…the one upgrade he really offers is ball skills where he can be a real difference maker.

Round 2… 

OLB…Curtis Weaver…6-3” 265lbs…Boise State…

Please no one get Shea McClellin flashbacks…just because they have a similar list weight and went to the same school does not make them the same guy…Weaver is a very different animal who is in a different world of physicality…Weaver won’t test out amazingly but when you watch him you can see the sheer physical nature of his game using strong hands to bull rush his way to the QB…Weaver fits the mould of a Parnell McPhee type who will be a force from multiple positions.

Round 4 (comp pick)…

TE…Brycen Hopkins…6-5” 245lbs…Purdue…

This offence will never reach its peak until we find a top quality TE who can really stress defences at every level…Burton just hasn’t shown enough to suggest he can do that consistently and the injuries are also a concern…Hopkins is an under the radar prospect who hopefully will stay that way…he has the size and speed to be a match up problem and enjoys the physical side of the game as well being willing to fight for extra yards and contest catches at their highest point…Hopkins has a career average of 16.3 YPC and that is exactly what we need to open this offence up.

Round 5 (via OAK)…

QB…Anthony Gordon…6-3” 210lbs…Washington State…

I think we are too close to having an excellent all round team to spend a 2nd on a QB just yet who would probably be sitting on the bench next season…plus I am not ready to give up on Trubisky…I would however like to give Nagy a young QB to try and mould…a QB from a Mike Leach scheme who throws the ball all over the back yard using a cannon of an arm from his baseball background…sound familiar? No one this Gordon is going to be Mahomes but he wouldn’t be asked to be…Gordon is an exciting gunslinger and if Nagy can get him to play within the system we could have a real good option long term option as either a backup or possibly competition.

Round 5 (Via Philly)…

ILB…Shaquille Quarterman…6-0” 240lbs…

With Nick-K leaving and Danny T only being here for another couple of seasons it would be smart to try and develop a long term replacement…Iggy has not shown any signs of developing into more than a backup LB and special teamer so let’s try again with Quarterman…round 5 is probably his ceiling due to the fact he isn’t a great coverage guy but he is very active in the run game and a quality blitzer from ILB which is big for Pagano and the “Baltimore style” of defence…as a downhill thumper he would offer something different in a backup role and could develop is skills as a pass defender down the line much like Danny T is Denver.

Round 5… 

OT…Robert Hunt…6-5” 323lbs…Louisiana…

We have been poor up front this season and as much as I think the talent is there to become a real strength again I feel we badly need competition and players to develop…I really like Coward up front as a development guy and think their could be a starting role down the line for him…Hunt reminds me a lot of Coward…great size & strength at the point of attack and strong hands…yes his footwork is raw but he seems to have the athletic ability to clean that up with proper coaching…another guy who has played both OG & OT in college…I like the fit for us.

Round 6…

RB…Ke'Shawn Vaughn…5-10” 215lbs…Vanderbilt…

As I said before I loved the Mike Davis signing due to his skill set but we just aren’t using him enough to warrant keeping him on this roster…we cut him and find another late round RB to take some of the carries away from Montgomery who is our clear #1 back…Vaugh reminds me a lot of Damien Williams in that he does nothing elite but everything well…he is a physical runner who can catch the ball out the backfield and pass protect…exactly what you want from a backup RB in this scheme.

Round 7…

OLB…Alex Highsmith…6-3” 245lbs…Charlotte…

More front 7 depth and competition for a guy like Irving…Highsmith has been a productive pass rusher this season with 6 sacks so far and that off the back of last seasons 17.5 TFL…he might never develop into anything but a 4th OLB but I think he has the size and athletic ability to also be a key special teamer.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Chase Dainel…Anthony Gordon

RB…David Montgomery…Ke'Shawn Vaughn…Kerrith Whyte

FB…Ben Braunecker

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Demarcus Robinson…Anthony Miller…Riley Reid

Weapon…Tarik Cohen…Taylor Gabriel                         

TE…Trey Burton…Brycen Hopkins...Adam Shaheen

LT…Charles Leno

LG…Cody Whitehair…Robert Hunt                     

C…James Daniels…Ted Larsen

RG…Austin Blythe

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                                

LE…Akiem Hicks…Roy Robertson-Harris

NT…Eddie Goldman…Nick Williams

RE…Bilal Nichols…Vernon Butler                      

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Alex Highsmith

ILB…Roquan Smith… Shaquille Quarterman…Kevin-Pierre Louis

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Curtis Weaver…Aaron Lynch

NB…Buster Skrine…Duke Shelley                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Kendall Fuller

CB…Jaylon Jackson…Kevin Toliver                  

SS…HaHa Clinton-Dix…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                    

P…Pat O’Donnell

K… Eddy Piñeiro

LS…Patrick Scales

• Like 1

I don’t know if we want to pay a free agent OLmen. That would mean everyone on a line, that to this point has been a disappointment, would be making 8 million +.

I also am not sure I need Demarcus robinson. I think it just jams up the young talent at WR, even if you are concerned with Miller, there is still Wims and Ridley sitting there. I expect Wims to continue to get run as we go.

Floyd not be resigned and drafting an OLB is one of the more interesting things to monitor. I am sure there is a price they won’t go above.

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Aren't the Bears picks: two in round 2, two in 4, one/two (depending on Howard) in 5, one/two (depending on Howard) in 6, and one in 7?

Regardless, I like this a lot. I'd probably keep Patterson one more year. I'm with you on Miller. I'm becoming concerned 

As far as I know we have two 2s...a projected 4th round comp for Amos (we traded our 4 to NE for Miller) a 5th, projected Oak 5th in the Mack deal...projected 5th/6th in Howard deal...our 6th & 7th.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t know if we want to pay a free agent OLmen. That would mean everyone on a line, that to this point has been a disappointment, would be making 8 million +.

I also am not sure I need Demarcus robinson. I think it just jams up the young talent at WR, even if you are concerned with Miller, there is still Wims and Ridley sitting there. I expect Wims to continue to get run as we go.

Floyd not be resigned and drafting an OLB is one of the more interesting things to monitor. I am sure there is a price they won’t go above.

I don't see it as paying big for a FA OL...I simply see it as one in one out with us getting rid of Long's deal...this would be a massive upgrade at this point...

Again it's one in one out for me replacing Patterson with Robinson is simply about getting a more natural WR who still has ST experience...

I just can't see how we hold of to Floyd...he is primed to make huge money and we can't invest the $13-$15 million it would take to keep him with Mack's $26.6 million on the books next year.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:13 AM, beardown3231 said:

Aren't the Bears picks: two in round 2, two in 4, one/two (depending on Howard) in 5, one/two (depending on Howard) in 6, and one in 7?

As it stands, we have; two 2nd rd picks. Two 5th rd picks(Howard has been balling) and 1 conditional 5th rd. One 6th rd and one 7th rd.

On 10/2/2019 at 6:58 PM, beardown3231 said:

You're right, except the 4 was traded for Montgomery.

Drafting Montgomery isn't the reason we lost the 4th comp for Amos. You can't trade a comp pick until they are assigned to each team which they don't do until around Feb.

Comp picks are assigned to teams who lose more value to free agency than they gained. The Bears lost 4 qualified players to free agency (Amos, Callahan, Kush and White) and they gained 4 qualifying players in Patterson, Skrine, Davis and Haha. Because Amos' value was high, we were set to gain a 4th round pick to "compensate" for the loss of his value.

However, in order to actually get a comp pick the value(players) you lost to FA must remain on the team until at least week 10. Likewise for the value brought in from FA.

• Amos signed with the Packers and he isn't going anywhere so we're safe there.
  • Callahan has been injured for the Broncos but I highly doubt Fangio takes a 5M+ cap hit and cuts him.
  • Kush has been a starter for the Browns so we're safe there.
  • White was signed by the Cardinals but they cut him in August <---THIS hurt us! 

We essentially lost the comp pick because the Cardinals cut White. If he had remained on the Cars roster until week 10 then we would still have that 4th rd comp.

Now, we can still get a 4th back if we release any one of our FA additions. Which is where I'm at with it. Unless something drastic changes in the coming weeks, I'm on board with cutting Davis because at this point a 4th round comp seems much more valuable to us than Davis has provided thus far.

@Madmike90 Assuming Mitch comes back and lights it up, I like the direction that you're going with. I love your ideal FA signings.

I'd like to see Pace target more TE's/WR's regardless of whether or not it's Mitch or a rookie QB next season. This team needs more playmakers and right now we have a void in this department at both positions. 

Arob may be our best offensive player but he is not a true #1. I'm starting to worry about Miller as well but I'm not giving up yet (it could still be the play-calling and Nagy using Patterson more than Miller on passing downs). Gabriel is a JAG. Patterson is strictly a gadget player.  Burton is an above average TE as a receiving threat but he is not a game-breaker by any means and doesn't offer much in the blocking department and has not been reliable. Shaheen is unreliable and is looking like a player that can be had in any late draft. Although Montgomery looks like he could be the real deal as an all-around back, outside o running hard and shedding tackles, he hasn't done enough to convince me that he is a game changer either. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

As it stands, we have; two 2nd rd picks. Two 5th rd picks(Howard has been balling) and 1 conditional 5th rd. One 6th rd and one 7th rd.

Drafting Montgomery isn't the reason we lost the 4th comp for Amos. You can't trade a comp pick until they are assigned to each team which they don't do until around Feb.

Comp picks are assigned to teams who lose more value to free agency than they gained. The Bears lost 4 qualified players to free agency (Amos, Callahan, Kush and White) and they gained 4 qualifying players in Patterson, Skrine, Davis and Haha. Because Amos' value was high, we were set to gain a 4th round pick to "compensate" for the loss of his value.

However, in order to actually get a comp pick the value(players) you lost to FA must remain on the team until at least week 10. Likewise for the value brought in from FA.

• Amos signed with the Packers and he isn't going anywhere so we're safe there.
  • Callahan has been injured for the Broncos but I highly doubt Fangio takes a 5M+ cap hit and cuts him.
  • Kush has been a starter for the Browns so we're safe there.
  • White was signed by the Cardinals but they cut him in August <---THIS hurt us! 

We essentially lost the comp pick because the Cardinals cut White. If he had remained on the Cars roster until week 10 then we would still have that 4th rd comp.

Now, we can still get a 4th back if we release any one of our FA additions. Which is where I'm at with it. Unless something drastic changes in the coming weeks, I'm on board with cutting Davis because at this point a 4th round comp seems much more valuable to us than Davis has provided thus far.

Huh? I never said it was. I said the Bears don't have a 4 this year because they traded it for Montgomery. I never said anything about it being a comp pick

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

@Madmike90 Assuming Mitch comes back and lights it up, I like the direction that you're going with. I love your ideal FA signings.

I'd like to see Pace target more TE's/WR's regardless of whether or not it's Mitch or a rookie QB next season. This team needs more playmakers and right now we have a void in this department at both positions. 

Arob may be our best offensive player but he is not a true #1. I'm starting to worry about Miller as well but I'm not giving up yet (it could still be the play-calling and Nagy using Patterson more than Miller on passing downs). Gabriel is a JAG. Patterson is strictly a gadget player.  Burton is an above average TE as a receiving threat but he is not a game-breaker by any means and doesn't offer much in the blocking department and has not been reliable. Shaheen is unreliable and is looking like a player that can be had in any late draft. Although Montgomery looks like he could be the real deal as an all-around back, outside o running hard and shedding tackles, he hasn't done enough to convince me that he is a game changer either. 

I tend to agree with this. While the Bears have a solid collection of skill players, I don’t think of any of them as imminently game-changing.

I’d like to see more overall speed on offense. I feel that’s been somewhat lacking in Pace’s approach to team-building.

• Like 1