Week #5 Steelers 1-3 vs. Ravens 2-2 Gamethread

Steeler Hitman

I'm not blaming JuJu for this loss however there is something that needs to be considered. 

James Conner fumbling in multiple games that led to game losing scores 

Xavier Grimble fumbling in a game that led to a season changing score.

JuJu fumbling in a couple of games that led to season changing scores.

Ben Roethlisberget throwing far too many Ints last season.

Ball security with this offense is a serious issue. That needs to be addressed. If JuJu DOESNT fumble today, more than likely we win. But other things could've happened that would've helped too. But he did not make any effort to protect the ball with both hands. That's an issue 

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not blaming JuJu for this loss however there is something that needs to be considered. 

James Conner fumbling in multiple games that led to game losing scores 

Xavier Grimble fumbling in a game that led to a season changing score.

JuJu fumbling in a couple of games that led to season changing scores.

Ben Roethlisberget throwing far too many Ints last season.

Ball security with this offense is a serious issue. That needs to be addressed. If JuJu DOESNT fumble today, more than likely we win. But other things could've happened that would've helped too. But he did not make any effort to protect the ball with both hands. That's an issue 

I look at recent comments from Fichtner:

”our job is to get the ball in our playmakers hands then make guys miss. It’s up the the QB to get the ball out fast, then that pass catcher needs to make a play.”

putting too much stress on guys to make plays. 

• Like 1

My girls had a swim meet so I saw almost nothing of the game.  I fired up the NFL app after the meet to check and the 1st thing I see is Rudolph knocked out.  Gheesh.

On the JuJu fumble.  Sometimes the other player makes a great play and Humphreys did just that.

I can't complain about the bad roughing call on Ola at the end.  You have got to score enough to take the refs out of the game.

defense looked good.  They are a better defense than people give them credit.

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

The NFL: We're all about player safety...

Also the NFL: Literally puts a highlight of Thomas' interception that was negated by penalty on their twitter stream and STILL has it up there.

Screw this league. Seriously.

SNF going through the scores, they say Mason gets hurt, but they didn't show the play?  I don't see the play on nfl.com either, so I guess we should just forget about it?

These close brutal loses are exasperating. Just like last year one play here or there and the entire season could be different.

It didn't help today that the return game continues to be a joke and the OC decides it's a good idea to have a RB throw a pass inside your own 15 yard line. Smith should have been fired years ago and I hope, but not expecting, for Fichtner to be gone too.

The turnovers late in games must come to an end. JuJu did a great job scoring a TD when Humphrey tried to punch the ball out the first time. Unfortunately, Humphrey was able to do it in OT.

I've never seen such worse officiating the past few seasons in the NFL since I've been watching. Both teams today got hosed by the refs. Watching other games and it was more of the same thing. Incompetence.

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Not to be simplistic but that has to be play calling. 

It is, but you have to also consider that losing Ben and Brown completely changed the playcalling.

I am not making excuses for Fitchner because I think he is terrible, but the fact remains, when you lose two great players, it changes things in a major way.

Im confused why so many Steeler fans are shocked we are 1-4.      As sick of I am of our coaches and FO, this team has actually played hard in every game.   We havent had an easy schedule.    I predicted us starting off 1-2 or even 0-3 BEFORE Ben went down, so 1-4 right now WITHOUT Ben is pretty much expected.

The blame can go all around, but the only game we got blown out in was the one full game Ben DID play.  We have held our own against pretty good teams.

Yes, I am playing devils advocate a little, and looking for the bright side of a bad situation, but overall, the only thing Im really upset about is the fact that we traded a first for Fitzpatrick, considering we are likely going to finish with a top 8 pick.      If not for that, I probably wouldnt be upset at all, and would just look at this season as a year to see what we have in our younger guys.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

It is, but you have to also consider that losing Ben and Brown completely changed the playcalling.

I am not making excuses for Fitchner because I think he is terrible, but the fact remains, when you lose two great players, it changes things in a major way.

Im confused why so many Steeler fans are shocked we are 1-4.      As sick of I am of our coaches and FO, this team has actually played hard in every game.   We havent had an easy schedule.    I predicted us starting off 1-2 or even 0-3 BEFORE Ben went down, so 1-4 right now WITHOUT Ben is pretty much expected.

The blame can go all around, but the only game we got blown out in was the one full game Ben DID play.  We have held our own against pretty good teams.

Yes, I am playing devils advocate a little, and looking for the bright side of a bad situation, but overall, the only thing Im really upset about is the fact that we traded a first for Fitzpatrick, considering we are likely going to finish with a top 8 pick.      If not for that, I probably wouldnt be upset at all, and would just look at this season as a year to see what we have in our younger guys.  

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm surprised they are 1-4 but they've been so close every game (sans Pats game) only to screw it up somehow. So it's been kind of a tease thus far. You didn't think they were gonna be good. Then they play good. Then they lose. It's almost like it would be better if they just got blown out if only just to validate the initial expectation. The Defense has played really well (overall) these last 4 games. Certainly well enough to win. To only get 1 win out of those is frustrating as I'm sure you'd agree. Where I will disagree with you is Minkah.  I personally don't think a Franchise QB is there @ #8 next year (assuming that is where you were going) but I think Minkah would be a top 8 pick.  But I understand the feeling of not much to play for if we don't even get anything for losing.  That too is frustrating. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm surprised they are 1-4 but they've been so close every game (sans Pats game) only to screw it up somehow. So it's been kind of a tease thus far. You didn't think they were gonna be good. Then they play good. Then they lose. It's almost like it would be better if they just got blown out if only just to validate the initial expectation. The Defense has played really well (overall) these last 4 games. Certainly well enough to win. To only get 1 win out of those is frustrating as I'm sure you'd agree. Where I will disagree with you is Minkah.  I personally don't think a Franchise QB is there @ #8 next year (assuming that is where you were going) but I think Minkah would be a top 8 pick.  But I understand the feeling of not much to play for if we don't even get anything for losing.  That too is frustrating. 

I dont really disagree with any of that, but the way some people have reacted (not you), you'd think they have the same expectations as we did last year with Ben and Brown.

That is why Tomlin is frustrating though.     He can have this team playing hard with backups and competing in games (Tomlin has always had this team playing relatively well when Ben is out), but when Ben is healthy, we feel underprepared vs teams we SHOULD beat.

So, in general, its very much a Tomlin problem, but its maddening because he does have good qualities as a coach....but Im just at a point where I think we need to move on, because the same issues are persistent year after year and Im just not seeing much progress in problem areas.    One of those being frustrating losses in very winnable games.   Its one thing to deal with them from time to time, but its way too common under Tomlin.

11 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont really disagree with any of that, but the way some people have reacted (not you), you'd think they have the same expectations as we did last year with Ben and Brown.

That is why Tomlin is frustrating though.     He can have this team playing hard with backups and competing in games (Tomlin has always had this team playing relatively well when Ben is out), but when Ben is healthy, we feel underprepared vs teams we SHOULD beat.

So, in general, its very much a Tomlin problem, but its maddening because he does have good qualities as a coach....but Im just at a point where I think we need to move on, because the same issues are persistent year after year and Im just not seeing much progress in problem areas.    One of those being frustrating losses in very winnable games.   Its one thing to deal with them from time to time, but its way too common under Tomlin.

We're on the same page. I never thought of Tomlin as an "X's and O's" coach. While not to the extent of Cowher, he's more of a rah rah guy. After 12 years, I think that's worn thin. There just doesn't appear to be any evolution in strategy. The game has changed. So should game planning. He's become a better coach behind the podium Post-Game then he is on the sideline during the game (if that makes sense).  I'm not sure how much better you're gonna find out there right now BUT given the influx of youth on the roster if there was a time to do it, it would be soon. As I believe you've stated, when Ben goes next year the rest of the Staff should follow. That's hard to disagree with. 

I would say for me the issue seems to be too much “well the coordinators handle their thing” if that makes sense. 

Especially offensively. He gave all his OC’s way too much leeway to do what they want. Only time he really interjects is going for 4th down or going for 2. And who knows maybe he was in on the planning of holding Mason back, but there’s been times under Fichtner where Tomlin looks flabbergasted by the playcall. Like the wildcat INT by Samuels. When they came off the field Tomlin just had this look like he had no clue what happened. 

Defensively there seems to be a slightly different story. The rumor is about 25-26 games ago Tomlin basically did everything for the defense but call the plays. And I think it’s hard to say there hasn’t been massive steps there. Outsider perspective: the communication issues anymore seem to be isolated to coverages in zone which isn’t run much anymore; and I’m wondering if Tomlin instills a heavy man based scheme, and the miscommunications are on plays Butler calls zone. 

36 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what would this teams record be if Frank Reich was the coach ? 

Tbh, idk. The first two 3 games of the season out offensive gameplan was terrible. 

Against the Bengals it worked. Against the Ravens Fichtner started out trying to do the same wildcat b.s. that he tried to do against the Bengals and the result was the Ravens got a 10-0 lead.

Did I not say that crap would NOT work? I was right. Just sayin'.