Week #5 Steelers 1-3 vs. Ravens 2-2 Gamethread

Steeler Hitman

44 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

3 rivers, you are right imo. That oline needs to man the hell up, and quit stealing paychecks. And the OC can join them in retirement fishing or something cause they aren’t blocking.  That line should shine in the afc north and used to be among the best in the league. Not anymore. 

Even David DeCastro was disappointing last night. He was completely whiffing on blocks 

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Even David DeCastro was disappointing last night. He was completely whiffing on blocks 

He hasn't played good this year either. I wouldn't doubt it if the OC has them practising passing to the point that the run blocking is being affected as we are seeing.  This current regime has taken what many considered one of the better OL's  into one of the lesser OL's in no time.  I don't watch all the other games, but no way this OL deserves to be in the talks in the top half o fate league , if it does the league has issues. 

AV - appears to have been on the downside and maybe Munchak was a main reason for his success

Foster- should be aback up , with Finney the starter

POuncey - way too overrated and overpaid

DDC - disappointing this year, not happy at all with how he has regressed so quickly. Could be OC never practising the run etc.

Feiler - quietly decent, too bad we never made Munchak the HC or retained him because Feiler appears legit  enough anyways

Trade Tomlin for Trent Williams and a RD1 pick, could be an idea. I know it won't happen, but just an idea.  Colbert has ruined this team, not tomlin, but tomlin has to get some blame for sure. 

To me, they had no intention of an under center offense because of ben. They became enamored with the pass, believing they could use the pass to open up the run game, and/or use the short passing game as their running game. Now they are playing catch-up and a quarter of the season is down the toilet with injuries, player departures, and poor preparation, and a lot of hubris.

Thats the only explanation I got. 

1 hour ago, SMashMouthMike said:

To me, they had no intention of an under center offense because of ben. They became enamored with the pass, believing they could use the pass to open up the run game, and/or use the short passing game as their running game. Now they are playing catch-up and a quarter of the season is down the toilet with injuries, player departures, and poor preparation, and a lot of hubris.

Thats the only explanation I got. 

a reason I can't seem to care enough or get into games

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Tbh, I'd trade AV for Williams straight up. Trent would be a really big upgrade just expensive. 

they should have some cap space next year, but who really knows what colbert will do

Tbh, AV, Foster, and Pouncey, to me, are all candidates for being traded.

I am disappointed in how much they have regressed since Munchak left.  Nobody with a legit GM would trade for POuncey IMO since his salary is too much. 

Last year  the D was a letdown, but now they have some new pieces and are actually a decent unit. Now the offence has no clue -  from week to week they might be a gimmick team,  never pass more than a few yards team, not able to run the ball team, it never ends . 

So if we are to be fans next year, it will be fichner and ben running their offence?  They were worse in their limited time than the backups were with fichner O.o Nothing to look forward to there .

I'd prefer a legit run blocking OL that can control a game, like the colts did vs the chiefs. Thats not happening here as long as ben is  running the team and colbert is his best friend as GM.  

@wwhickok good avatar btw, I think they have a legit defender with 55, he's getting better by the week.  What about trading a late RD pick to get Fort and Skipper back?

Having L j's Fort would have been nice but I wouldn't trade for him. I'll be honest I don't think the problems with the advent of line are as much about  Mike munchak leaving as much as it is that Randy Fichtner is getting too fancy with trying to create a running game. And on top of that as much as I hate to admit it this team misses Bell. Not because of his ability as a runner but as a blocker.

The one play that I'm talking about that David decastro really didn't do well on was a passing play in which I'm pretty sure was James Conner that was set back to block and him and David decastro completely whiff to on the blocks and it led to a sack on 3rd down

https://www.steelers.com/video/safety-in-numbers

nice clip of Hoge explaining the scheme that appears specific to the Ravens. It's nice to see them try something different  and get results instead of trying the same/failing and blaming the players (execution) . There is a play there where DMC gets pushed around, he shouldn't even be on the team.

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

And on top of that as much as I hate to admit it this team misses Bell. Not because of his ability as a runner but as a blocker.

bell isn't doing anything for the jets, he doesn't have the talent around him. This team misses Munchak the most .

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I truly believe we are going in to the bye week 1-5

the chargers really played a bad game. Maybe they are having a slump, so the timing for that could be in favour for the steelers.  I have no concerns about our QB situation , both are capable. The OC and OL are the problem right now, and maybe if the WR's can't catch or if there are too many fumbles.  I don't believe in mistake free football, but scoring enough to make up for the mistakes is more of a reality . 

47 minutes ago, DR43 said:

How has Cam Sutton been thus far?  Could he compete for a starting roll by the end of the season?

he would be a starter in years past but with 2 CB's, right now they have Haden and Nelson.  Sutton looks legit at least, maybe they finally got a CB thats legit, we know burns isn't a CB and Hilton is a blitzed primarily . 

I truly believe we are going in to the bye week 1-5

if we do, will it be enough for some changes of philosophy  and schemes? Will tomlin make these OL block and pass pro etc? There are some  issues they have to work on, and maybe a loss and such a bad record is the way to make it happen since they don't learn from a weekly basis.

When was the last time the steelers were 1-5:o