Week 5 GDT: Broncos @ Chargers

champ11

Reasons why we could win:

1.  LAC doesn't really have home field advantage.   It's a neutral field at best.

2.  LAC could lose the TO battle -3, and have a complete brain cramp in clock / game management..like last year.

3.  Their WR corps is literally down to 3 healthy bodies, and only 1 of them is a good player (Mike Williams is hurting).    Their fill-in 2nd WR Inman (a decent depth guy) just went on IR. Their TE are down to a hurting Virgil Green (groin, so could miss a 2nd straight week) and Lance Kendricks.

4.  Their OL has underperformed.

5.  It's the Chargers.

Reasons why we likely will lose:

1.  They still have Philip Rivers, Keenan Allen, and now both MG3 and Austin Ekeler.  I suspect we may see both RB's out there a lot together to make up for the TE/WR roster problems.  That's more than enough to decimate our secondary and ILB corps.   FWIW we're so bad at TE / RB coverage it wouldn't surprise me to watch Kendricks go 5-60-1 lol.

2.  Their pass rush is a terrible mismatch for our OL.  As in awful. 

3.  Their run D is much better than the sieve-like D they had last year (to be fair, the Charg-IR's were decimated by injury, what else is new) and they are getting guys back.  

4.  Their pass coverage is going to pose a huge problem with Casey Hayward basically able to take out Sutton.     Michael Davis & Desmond King vs. Sanders is going to be the key matchup for us.

5.  They actually signed a K after piecemealing it with their P for the first 5 weeks (and likely cost them the DET game). 

6.  They won't be caught napping like last year, where they were looking past us...that won't happen at 3-2 and memories from last year.

I'll not hide my feelings on 2019 - better we lose as many games as possible and pick as highly as possible, so long as the young guys progress and compete.   But a 27-17 L seems about right, barring a major mistake-fest by the Chargers giving us the game.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

No Melvin Ingram. 

Nwosu was the 3rd pass rush guy last year that made that unit a holy terror in the 2H (wasn’t great vs. run though).  Looking forward to seeing him as much as Malik Reed for us. 

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is Purcell on the older side? I know he was with Fangio during a stint somewhere else.

He is, but he's under control for 2020 as a RFA.  So we get to see if he has any 2020 cheap potential.  I've always criticized 2nd/3rd contract signing for vets, but min-wage signings, zero problem with, if it's not blocking a young guy we need to see get PT.  There's no one on our DL like that right now.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Does he play end at all ? Keep hearing rumblings of a fire sale brewing.  Or is he strictly going to get Shelby's reps?

Shelby's not coming back in this scheme, he needs to go to a Wade Phillips like scheme.  While he might succeed there, we just can't justify it.   Purcell's really only a middle glue guy.

• Like 1