Halloween is Stupid

MKnight82

I'm sure this opinion will be unpopular, but I do not understand why people enjoy Halloween.  Let me start off by saying I did not participate in Halloween as a child because my parents are super religious, so there's no nostalgia factor for me.  I am not religious, and I've done the Halloween party thing ever since I moved out of my parents house 18 years ago.  But I don't get it.  I don't enjoy a single second of Halloween.  

1.  I have no interest in putting a costume together.  IMO its a waste of time and money.  I guess some people enjoy dressing up and putting a costume together, I just have no interest.  

2.  The decorations are stupid.  Yay you put some fake spider webs up and a pumpkin that'll rot in a week.  Newsflash, nothing you're putting on your house looks "scary".  It looks fake and lame.  

3.  Most of the kids that go trick or treating are *****.  I will say that early on when the real young kids are out (usually when the sun is still out) and they are with their parents it is the only tolerable part of the evening to hand out candy.  But once it elevates to the pre-teens, they are all d-bags.  They're obnoxious, rude and are all trying to grab and steal as much candy from you as possible.  The whole concept that I have to spend all this money to give candy to these d-bags is awful.  

I do enjoy scary movies, and there have been some solid ones built around the Halloween concept which would be the only positive I get from the holiday.  But honestly I would be perfectly fine skipping this holiday every year.  

• Like 3

Halloween is great.  For the record, I didn't get to trick or treat as a kid because of super religious parents either, but man, Halloween as an adult is great.

Personally, I think putting together a costume is a blast.  Unfortunately, this year it's the wife's turn to pick our costumes, so it's out of my hands.

Now if you wanna talk about ****ty holidays: Christmas.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Halloween is great.  For the record, I didn't get to trick or treat as a kid because of super religious parents either, but man, Halloween as an adult is great.

Personally, I think putting together a costume is a blast.  Unfortunately, this year it's the wife's turn to pick our costumes, so it's out of my hands.

Now if you wanna talk about ****ty holidays: Christmas.

Why?

• Like 1

My fiancée loves to give out candy to the kids in the neighborhood and wants to be the best at it. Why?

I'm with you OP. Halloween is dumb. Even as an adult. "You can get drunk!"... why do I need a holiday for that? Any Wednesday is perfectly adequate an excuse to get drunk.

• Like 2

If you're doing anything other than celebrating horror movies on Halloween you're doing Halloween wrong.  If you have kids, that was your stupid life decision that you have to deal with.  If you have your lights on and any Halloween decoration up and even hint to parents that you want kids ringing your doorbell or knocking on your door on Halloween, that's your fault. 

Halloween is a perfectly fine holiday if you do it right. 

1. Watch scary movies all week leading up to it, saving the best one (one you haven't seen before) for Halloween.
2. Get yourself a mask (about 80 dollars worth of one) and scare people with it. 
3. Get yourself a second mask (about 40 dollars) and put an outfit onto a vacuum with a mask on top, maybe some gloves to make it more realistic, and set it up in a closet or behind a door at work. 

There are plenty of great options to enjoy Halloween if you're not stupid. 

This is my first Halloween off in 11 years so I’m pretty excited actually. 

Halloween is about getting drunk and getting with girls in slutty costumes. If that’s not the goal you’re over thinking it as someone else said! Or if you have kids, the goal is to take them trick or treating which is also fun. 

I’m engaged though with no kids so I fall into a strange tweener category. I was debating doing Universal Studios the Halloween Night thing. 

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Let me start off by saying I did not participate in Halloween as a child because my parents are super religious

This explains a lot.

Our house is a reverse floor plan, with the living room/kitchen etc on the 2nd floor
So I hook up a basket on a rope and lower the candy down to the kids. Its a freaking blast and they dig it too
Then when the adolescents come along , I eff with them and lower it just out of their reach....

Nothing as elaborate as this rig below, but maybe I'll upgrade next year. We also hand out jello shots and cold beer to any parents who want it

Halloween is just like any other holiday:
You can make yourself happy about it or miserable about it - it takes just as much energy either way

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You can do this any time though.  

The costume thing is a one day event though, so it makes things interesting and the only one day out of 364 days. And it’s the second day of the year behind valentines day that single girls get the sluttiest, trust me. 

Plus it’s overall fun to see everyone in costumes at the bar.