Halloween is Stupid

MKnight82

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

We get the occasional van load of kids dropped into our neighborhood too, same deal.
I don't blame the Mom's, they are just trying to make it special for their kids. The whole thing got bastardized from giving a little candy to some grateful kids, to now where it's a dog- eat- dog world of kids pushing and shoving and trying to take the most candy possible. I've seen kids empty the entire basket of candy into their Halloween bags, leaving nothing for others.

I think some parents would be mortified if they saw the way their kids behave on Halloween

This.  Especially with the kids from out of the neighborhood.  They don't care, they don't know us.  And they're probably coming from not the best situation at home, so a lot of them are not well behaved.  

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm not exaggerating, literally hundreds of children.   I live in the city, and it isn't just the kids from around my neighborhood trick or treating.  A lot of kids from the less affluent areas come to my neighborhood because its safer and I assume a lot of people don't hand out candy where they're from because they can't afford it. 

It's honestly hard to be really sad for you though.  'Cause i'm just happy trick or treating is still apparently alive and well...somewhere.

Be glad you live in a more affluent area where people trust neighbors to not murder kids going door to door tbh i think.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:06 AM, MKnight82 said:

I live in the city.  I give out $100 of standard Halloween candy in an hour.  I literally have hundreds of kids come to my house, and like I said in the OP most of them act like little *****.  

That's nothing. My block gets thousands of people. We hand out one piece per person and run out well before the people stop showing up. Last year we gave out over 3k pieces. I'm not exaggerating. 

Then I hear people complain that we run out or that we only give out one. Like, are you kidding me? We spend hundreds of dollars on candy every year and sit here for hours handing this out to entitled people. That's not even counting the elaborate decorations that go up on each house 

It started 25 years ago, my neighbor owned a music shop and completely decked out his house. Then it turned into everyone one upping each other and there were 15 kids on my block within 2-3 years of each other. It just kinda grew. 

People literally drive from all over the place to come to my block. They shut down the street. It's insanity/bedlam. 

I love Halloween but I hate what it's become. It's a chore. We have to rotate who gives out candy because your arm literally gets tired after an hour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

That's nothing. My block gets thousands of people. We hand out one piece per person and run out well before the people stop showing up. Last year we gave out over 3k pieces. I'm not exaggerating. 

Then I hear people complain that we run out or that we only give out one. Like, are you kidding me? We spend hundreds of dollars on candy every year and sit here for hours handing this out to entitled people. That's not even counting the elaborate decorations that go up on each house 

It started 25 years ago, my neighbor owned a music shop and completely decked out his house. Then it turned into everyone one upping each other and there were 15 kids on my block within 2-3 years of each other. It just kinda grew. 

People literally drive from all over the place to come to my block. They shut down the street. It's insanity/bedlam. 

I love Halloween but I hate what it's become. It's a chore. We have to rotate who gives out candy because your arm literally gets tired after an hour. 

Do i live in a bad neighbourhood?

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Do i live in a bad neighbourhood?

12 hours ago, N4L said:

WOW.
I'll stop by and bring ya a beer or 3

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N4L said:

I have no idea?  

Its not that I live anywhere special, just that my block turned into the 'halloween block' and its this whole thing. meh

Back when I was dating a single mom we took her kid to a Halloween block in Nashville, and there were 1000 people there if there was one.

It was a super affluent neighborhood though.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, JoshstraDaymus said:

My fiancée loves to give out candy to the kids in the neighborhood and wants to be the best at it. Why?

I'm with you OP. Halloween is dumb. Even as an adult. "You can get drunk!"... why do I need a holiday for that? Any Wednesday is perfectly adequate an excuse to get drunk.

If you can get drunk on Wednesday then you're not working enough. Or you're dragging complete a$& the next day. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

If you can get drunk on Wednesday then you're not working enough. Or you're dragging complete a$& the next day. 

I work 2 jobs, sir. Most of my days I put in about 14 hours plus travel 45 minutes both ways. I am an early bird and I still rally like I'm in my early 20s