Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill passes away at age 88

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It sucks he couldn’t see Arizona become a winner. I feel for that fanbase even more. Really hope Kyler is a franchise changer.

Not trying to be slick in light of his death, but Bidwell was notorious for being cheap with paying players, and continuously fielding lackluster squad after lackluster squad in St. Louis, and then Arizona. Probably why the franchise was one of the worst in the NFL during his tenure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Not trying to be slick in light of his death, but Bidwell was notorious for being cheap with paying players, and continuously fielding lackluster squad after lackluster squad in St. Louis, and then Arizona. Probably why the franchise was one of the worst in the NFL during his tenure.

I don't know the context of this accusation here but doesn't the 89% rule attempt to prevent this sort of thing? From what I understand teams have to spend at least an average of 89% of their cap allotment over a 4 year period or their penalized and forced to give the difference to their own players.

I think it's more egregious in Baseball where teams can intentionally under spend on their roster, continually field an underpaid bad team, and pocket the profits. But I digress. RIP Mr. Bidwell

16 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

I don't know the context of this accusation here but doesn't the 89% rule attempt to prevent this sort of thing? From what I understand teams have to spend at least an average of 89% of their cap allotment over a 4 year period or their penalized and forced to give the difference to their own players.

I think it's more egregious in Baseball where teams can intentionally under spend on their roster, continually field an underpaid bad team, and pocket the profits. But I digress. RIP Mr. Bidwell

Bidwell largely was in control of the team before the salary cap was installed in 94. And even afterward, I think that just made it worse. This is just one person's opinion Bidwell's legacy written around the time Arizona made the Super Bowl. Safe to say, the stories don't paint a pretty image. 

http://carnageandculture.blogspot.com/2009/01/super-bowl-wont-change-cheap-losing.html

Personally, I think it all starts at the top with ownership for any team to have long sustained success. Apparently Bidwell was a very nice man, he just didn't know how to run a quality football team. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 3

Fair enough. I'm sure sleazy business practices like whats stated in that article is why today there is a players association, CBA's, and rules like the 89% and 51 man. Didn't realize we were going back as far as the 90's. Looks like the 89% rule was started in 2012 maybe?

43 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

Fair enough. I'm sure sleazy business practices like whats stated in that article is why today there is a players association, CBA's, and rules like the 89% and 51 man. Didn't realize we were going back as far as the 90's. Looks like the 89% rule was started in 2012 maybe?

Yes, the 89% rule is a new concept, instituted after he had passed most of the football control to his sons.   Before the salary cap and free agency were instituted he ran that team on a shoestring budget, largely the reason for them getting no fan support in St. Louis because they hardly ever made the playoffs while he actively ran the team.  

Edited by swede700

RIP and condolences to his family.

100% it starts at the top. As a Raiders fan we saw how good AL was when he was on top of his game. In the late decade we saw what happens in a win now mentality that doesn’t have the up to date strategy of the game. I respect Al for doing it his way but he needed help. Mark seemed to know he’s not a football guy and hired a GM after meeting with trust friends. RM pulled the team out of cap he’ll and gave us hope in 2016. Mark blew that up when 2017 didn’t exceed the previous year and got Gruden. So far not looking good. Jerry Jones knows what he wants and had success with Jimmy but FA has changed what they built and his son will need to adapt. Snyder is an angry little man who enjoys his power and is only known by common folk because of it. Lol

That is the top 3 ‘it starts at the top/get your popcorn and watch the show. 

Pats owner is smart to let the guy do what he does best. They don’t draft better but success breeds success and TB knew by taking less he’ll get more in the long run. Went from a guy his college tried to replace to replacing the starter and winning it all. Whatever he wants to do in retirement will have a blank check waiting for him.

rant over lol

• Like 1