On your greatest quarterback ranking list...

LieutenantGains

Greatest quarterbacks  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest quarterbacks

• All Time
    • Super Bowl Era

5 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

Do you include all time or just the Super Bowl era? I've been having this discussion with some friends and was interested to see what everyone thought

If you only do SB Era it isn't an all time list

• Like 3

All the stats and such I've stuffed into my head over the years starts in the Super Bowl era. Not taking away from any of the greats before but I really go off of how things became more established/official at SB1 (the season of anyway).

Edited by Chiefs_5627

Man this is tough, I feel like I switch it up

The only QB I honestly would consider maybe is Otto Graham and Sid Luckman prior to the SB 

Otherwise 

1. Tom Brady 

2. Joe Montana 

3. Johny U 

4. Peyton Manning 

5. Brett Favre 

6. Otto Graham 

7. Dan Marino  

8. Steve Young 

9. Roger Staubach 

10. John Elway 

11. Sid Luckman 

12. Drew Brees 

13. Bart Starr 

14. Troy Aikmen 

15. A Rodgers

16. Kurt Warner 

17. Big Ben 

18. Dan Fouts 

19. McNaab 

20. Bradshaw  

I usually don't, so I just label it as "greatest QBs post merger." It's hard enough to properly compare and contextualize the stats that QBs in the 80s put up vs modern QBs, I am definitely not trying to do that with 40s, 50s or 60s QBs. Plus the game is just so different now. I mean, every year you go back you get a more different game, but I think around the 70s the fundamentals of the game were set, and we've since just been expanding on them. Bit of an arbitrary starting point, but it's just where I personally feel it really began to look like the NFL as we know it.

• Like 1

Staubach is about as far back as I like go.  I can make an exception for Unitas, but the game has simply changed too much.  Even the Montana/Marino era is too different.  Hell, in a few more years Brees/Brady/Manning will have been a different era.

• Like 1

I personally dont. Different league, different athletes, different society and culture.  Plus didnt really watch them. I cant think of any pre 80's qb id have in the top 10. Maybe top 15, but never sat and made the list. 

Dont want to be called a homer (or did that ship sail already)

15 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I personally dont. Different league, different athletes, different society and culture.  Plus didnt really watch them. I cant think of any pre 80's qb id have in the top 10. Maybe top 15, but never sat and made the list. 

Dont want to be called a homer (or did that ship sail already)

In baseball players are hitting homers today at a rate unheard of years ago but just because most people alive today never saw him play they would never not put Babe Ruth as one of the best of all time.  I never saw Otto Graham or Sid Luckman play (I am old enough to remember Unitas) but I have seen footage and their stats.  They dominated the game when they were in their prime.  I'm not going to penalize a player because he was born too early.

Most people rate a QB on wins.  All of these have won championships but one (Marino is the exception).   

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. P. Manning

4. Unitas

5. Brees

6. Staubach

7. Starr

8. Graham

9. Favre

10. Marino

Edited by Pugger

On 10/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, LieutenantGains said:

Do you include all time or just the Super Bowl era? I've been having this discussion with some friends and was interested to see what everyone thought

I only include the ones I've ever seen play a game.  If they played and retired before I was even born and I've never even seen them take a snap, how can I have much of an opinion on them? 

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Most people rate a QB on wins.  All of these have won championships but one (Marino is the exception).   

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. P. Manning

4. Unitas

5. Brees

6. Staubach

7. Starr

8. Graham

9. Favre

10. Marino

Fran Tarkenton practically owned the record book before he retired and he doesn't even make the Top 10? 

On 10/2/2019 at 10:35 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

Man this is tough, I feel like I switch it up

The only QB I honestly would consider maybe is Otto Graham and Sid Luckman prior to the SB 

Otherwise 

1. Tom Brady 

2. Joe Montana 

3. Johny U 

4. Peyton Manning 

5. Brett Favre 

6. Otto Graham 

7. Dan Marino  

8. Steve Young 

9. Roger Staubach 

10. John Elway 

11. Sid Luckman 

12. Drew Brees 

13. Bart Starr 

14. Troy Aikmen 

15. A Rodgers

16. Kurt Warner 

17. Big Ben 

18. Dan Fouts 

19. McNaab 

20. Bradshaw  

Here's another list with McNabb and Bradshaw in the Top 20 and Tarkenton doesn't make the list? 

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Fran Tarkenton practically owned the record book before he retired and he doesn't even make the Top 10? 

He is if we are talking about scrambling QBs.  ;) 

All kidding aside, do you really believe Fran is better than the 10 I listed?  I do agree he is a top 20, however.