Birds of Prey

Ozzy

Over under on this movie making over $700,000,000 at the box office, I say over easily.  Took them surprisingly long to make a Harley Quinn spin off.  I have said it before, she is the only reason anyone even watched Suicide Squad honestly.  This movie does not look amazing, and with no real cool antagonist, but should easily make plenty of money.  Too bad there was not more well known female comic book characters to team up with her, in this used to be with The Joker story line...

Edited by Ozzy
spelling

35 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Trailer actually looks good, but apparently people have already made up their minds about the whole movie. 

Some of the imagery looks cool but you can tell the script and dialogue are going to suck esp from her line “freaking Harley Quinn” and the way she delivers it.  Even out of context.  Woof.  

I don’t know what to make of the Birds of Prey themselves yet.  Maybe they’re intentionally distancing themselves from how we know them in the Bat universe (powers, costumes, etc).  It’s the first trailer tho and who even knows what their movie continuity is anymore anyway?  I’m not sure WB does.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Trailer actually looks good, but apparently people have already made up their minds about the whole movie. 

First off, I disagree the trailer looks good. I'm not saying it can't be entertaining, but it really doesn't appeal to me.

Second, for a lot of people , I think it has more to do with Warner Brothers terrible decisions with the DC Universe and the mediocre movies that have come before it.

Third, for me anyway, I'm simply not interested in a birds of prey movie or a Harley Quinn Solo movie. I never was.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably eventually watch it, but it's not something I would go to the theaters to see.

• Like 1

It's too bad DC sucks.  I think Margot Robbie does a fantastic job as Harley Quinn.  Harley Quinn always annoyed me, and she annoys the hell out of me.  That's not an insult, but a compliment.  She really does a fantastic job portraying that character. 

This just does not look like my type of movie.  Looks like Tony Scott impersonation at best. 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Hmm probably under. Yes Harley Quinn was the main reason people saw Suicide Squad but not the only reason. I don’t think it’d do that well as a standalone movie. 

I personally dont know anyone who went to see it MAINLY because of Harley.     Im not saying she didnt add appeal, because she certainly did, but think about it...

1) This movie was connected to the existing DCEU BEFORE it was basically gutted and forgotten about.   This was probably my biggest draw to the movie.
2) Will Smith, even though somewhat forgettable in the movie is still a HUGE draw.    He is a hugely popular actor whose mere presence can pique interest.
3) Jared Leto as Joker, even though Joker was pretty terrible, aroused alot of curiosity.   Leto is a very respected actor and Joker is one of the most popular comic villains ever.
4) Batman being in it sold alot of tickets as well.   He was obviously very limited, but there is a reason they included his small part in the trailer....because they knew it would sell more tickets.

Bottom line...Im sure people had alot of different reasons for going, and Im sure there were many that did go for Harley Quinn.   I just dont believe her presence drove the success of the movie.     

11 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

People hate DC movies before it even comes out so it won't do well in the box office

While I dont disagree completely, Aquaman just made over a billion dollars less than a year ago.   But I also believe that was marketed as a more family friendly movie with special effects that intrigued many people.

Birds of Prey looks to be another dark-ish DC movie that is more character driven.      

DC movies simply dont have a good reputation, so if they are to be successful, there needs to really be something to hook people and convince them to go pay money to watch it.      I just dont see there being enough for this movie.   

Time will tell, I suppose.  

PS....the budget for this movie was relatively light compared to other DC movies, so even if it makes $300-400m worldwide, it will be considered at least a mild success.

Edited by FourThreeMafia