Birds of Prey

Ozzy

9 hours ago, KManX89 said:

Charlie's Angels and Black Christmas have a 52% and 40%, respectively, just sayin'.

No kidding. RT only weighs the % of positive reviews, no matter how positive. If you have 200 people and they all say it's okay, it's still a 100%.

IMDb is somewhat skewed, too, though. Most any film scores a 6.0 or higher. You damn near have to TRY to score below a 6 on IMDb. Ergo, a 5.9 or below is objectively bad.

RT used to have a better aggregate system. Now everything is either fresh or rotten.

15 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Like Black Christmas 2019: 3.1/10

X Men: Origins Wolverine has a 6.6 on IMDb, and that movie is near-universally reviled if you read any forum, ever. You could even argue the low 7's isn't that great for IMDb, Iron Man 3 has a 7.2. and Man of Steel has a 7.1.

Haven't seen Birds of Prey yet, but I may check it out tonight. 

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

Forgot this opened this weekend. Didn’t not perform well, not sure the budget but this could be a flop.

97 mil. Truth be told it's not bad movie, but it was promoted and felt like Suicide Squad. The bright color aesthetic over staying close to source material.

I really dont think Quinn is as bankable a character as they thought. The real important characters (Birds of Prey team) took a backseat. They also did total injustice to Cassandra Cain. T

It's sad that a entertaining movie underperformed, but in the long run it may be for the best. Doubtful there is a sequel and we'll be getting much more of Robbie's HQ, out side of Gunn's Suicide Squad. Yan is a very good director and I hope WB/DC puts her on something else w/o Robbie.

6 hours ago, RaiderX said:

97 mil. Truth be told it's not bad movie, but it was promoted and felt like Suicide Squad. The bright color aesthetic over staying close to source material.

I really dont think Quinn is as bankable a character as they thought. The real important characters (Birds of Prey team) took a backseat. They also did total injustice to Cassandra Cain. T

It's sad that a entertaining movie underperformed, but in the long run it may be for the best. Doubtful there is a sequel and we'll be getting much more of Robbie's HQ, out side of Gunn's Suicide Squad. Yan is a very good director and I hope WB/DC puts her on something else w/o Robbie.

Promotion for the movie was terrible.  None of the characters are extremely well known to casuals and they alienated many hardcore comic fans.  The failure of Suicide Squad didnt help, and idiot actors like Ewen McGregor talking about how its a female empowerment movie that fights misogyny didnt help.

These morons in Hollywood dont understand you can make quality movies with strong female chatacters without being preachy and forcing political narratives no one wants.   Wonder Woman is a good example.  Just make the movies entertaining and tell the people promoting them not to say dumb sh*t.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Promotion for the movie was terrible.  None of the characters are extremely well known to casuals and they alienated many hardcore comic fans.  The failure of Suicide Squad didnt help, and idiot actors like Ewen McGregor talking about how its a female empowerment movie that fights misogyny didnt help.

These morons in Hollywood dont understand you can make quality movies with strong female chatacters without being preachy and forcing political narratives no one wants.   Wonder Woman is a good example.  Just make the movies entertaining and tell the people promoting them not to say dumb sh*t.

I agree on the characters, especially the other female characters in the film they are not well known at all and honestly none are going to make people go see it.  Honestly no idea why they are even in it seriously but I agree being that preachy before hand did not help the film.  I read something the lack of The Joker being in it did hurt but honestly the fact Joker the movie was just released not that long ago hurts also because it is nothing compared to that film in almost every way.  The art direction also is questionable, it does not look cool, her wardrobe is nothing great and the general art direction visually is lacking or at least seems to be in the trailer.  Seem to be more creative with her look in Suicide Squad and that is pretty pathetic.  Odd it has such good reviews but will see, did not have an awful opening but would not be surprised to see it pick up pace here.  

The story does kind of suck, the name of the story sucks, the idea generally is just bad and with all the other material they had pretty pathetic this is what they decided on.  So I might have been wrong on this one but will see.  The idea of Harley Quinn played by Margot Robbie is great and can make money but the artistic direction and story does have to be some what not awful.  

Artistically it is pretty crap, both of these post images flat suck and are lame as hell and way too girly

birds-of-prey-harley-quinn-poster-156874

new-poster-art-for-dcs-birds-of-prey-inc

This wardrobe is unique, interesting and cool.  A little intense, crazy and in your face and is pretty hot.  Very different look than birds of prey which again is a crap wardrobe.

9a88a6b568c70bd00c47262eb865dff95b934582

ZFDs2foA5MUNyK2zL4BG8L-970-80.jpg

Stupid hair cut, not a fan of the colors at all and that damn pink and Golden yellow combo, and clearly trying a different look when really they should have stayed closer to what they did before with the pink, blue and red.

_d8d3ed60-d0a8-11e9-8e3f-6f5f9fecffe4.JP

screen_shot_2019-01-28_at_11.02.05_am.pn

And apparently the R rating is a problem because just a few changes it could have been PG-13, not sure he smoking crack or doing drugs or whatever really is all that needed in the film but might not make any difference.  Will be curious to watch it on Netflix in a few months.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Reviews from people I trust are saying this movie is bad.

Im hearing middle of the road to bad from those I trust, with a few who liked it.  

Here is the thing....if WB wasnt full of idiots and actually found people who loved these characters to steer the ship, Robbie as Harley COULD HAVE become a franchise character herself.  If Suicide Squad and the Joker within that movie were done much better, and maybe a sequel to that, and maybe a solo Batman movie with her and the Joker as villains, she couldve probably spearheaded a few movies.

However, even though the DC universe has gotten a few decent wins with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and kinda Shazam, there isnt much buzz around their movies.  They objectively have failed more than they have succeeded in delivering the DC movies fans want.

Marvel took time to build their characters and universe, and after gaining trust and buzz, they moved on to introducing new, even more obscure characters and stories. 

DC rushed everything, never seemed to care about really getting the characters right, and are already introducing obscure characters without having built up any real trust or buzz in the DC universe.

Just cracks me up that they are sitting on a gold mine yet can hardly get anything out of it.  Complete morons.

Already seeing a ton of "get woke, go broke" and "all men are evil says BoP" comments and vids on YouTube and other forums towards this movie. All because DC had the gal to make a movie about a band of rogue women beating down gangsters.

Well, yeah, it's a movie about f'ing gangsters (even the female cast, go figure), of course all the men in this movie are gonna be morally bankrupt. This is not a Ghostbusters 2016 or Black Christmas 2019 situation where all male characters are artificially made to look like arseholes, idiots or both with an "all men are evil" message constantly shoved down your throat.

I gotta say, it's getting old and the people saying this sh*t are sounding more and more like those damn SJWs they always moan about. Imagine how Kill Bill would be looked at if that movie came out 5 years ago in the current climate.

There ARE valid criticisms towards this movie (and yes, I saw it, it was okay, but could've been better), but "woke" is not one of them.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

I gotta say, it's getting old and the people saying this sh*t are sounding more and more like those damn SJWs they always moan about. Imagine how Kill Bill would be looked at if that movie came out 5 years ago in the current climate.

There ARE valid criticisms towards this movie (and yes, I saw it, it was okay, but could've been better), but "woke" is not one of them.

THIS

both sides have extremes in this stupid online culture war that going on and its annoying and amusing at the same time. it can't be healthy to be that deep into it

Edited by August4th

56 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Already seeing a ton of "get woke, go broke" and "all men are evil says BoP" comments and vids on YouTube and other forums towards this movie. All because DC had the gal to make a movie about a band of rogue women beating down gangsters.

Well, yeah, it's a movie about f'ing gangsters (even the female cast, go figure), of course all the men in this movie are gonna be morally bankrupt. This is not a Ghostbusters 2016 or Black Christmas 2019 situation where all male characters are artificially made to look like arseholes, idiots or both with an "all men are evil" message constantly shoved down your throat.

I agree with your post wholeheartedly. This movie does not force feed any political narrative at all. It's a fun romp. It doesnt even have an Avengers-esque "She's not alone" or "How are you going to get through all that" moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

When one of the main actors says that's what it's about. Not sure how you can say it's not about that. As 43M pointed out, Ewan not only described the movie as being woke and other things he openly promoted and bragged about it. 

So no it's not people making this stuff up. 

59 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

When one of the main actors says that's what it's about. Not sure how you can say it's not about that. As 43M pointed out, Ewan not only described the movie as being woke and other things he openly promoted and bragged about it. 

So no it's not people making this stuff up. 

Did you see it?