Birds of Prey

Ozzy

Am I the only one who feels that when Marvel puts out average movies they get celebrated (Spiderman Homecoming, GoTG 2, Ragnarok)

And then DC puts out a movie and everything about it gets picked apart instead of just accepting it for what it is...an average movie

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

Am I the only one who feels that when Marvel puts out average movies they get celebrated (Spiderman Homecoming, GoTG 2, Ragnarok)

And then DC puts out a movie and everything about it gets picked apart instead of just accepting it for what it is...an average movie

Marvel's average movies still make a billion. This kind of bombed. That's part of the reputation right or wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Marvel's average movies still make a billion. This kind of bombed. That's part of the reputation right or wrong.

In an interview Eminem stated that Revival was disliked the day the tracklist came out. So people didnt even give it a fair chance. So he dropped Kamikaze with no warning.

I feel the same thing happens to DC movies. If the trailer isnt amazing people decide it sucks. The leaked script has 1 plot line they dont like, it sucks. There was reshoots? It sucks

Be cool if they could drop a movie out of the blue with no advertising

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagles23 said:

Homecoming, Ragnarok, and GOTG2 would all be the best DC films since Nolan’s Batmans. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I wanted to know how informed you were at this point. 

Kman said it wasnt woke when Ewan McGregor statement contradicts what he said about the movie.

The wokeness may very well be minimal to the point of not even being noticed. All I was addressing was the two statements made. 

2 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

Except those marvel movies were good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

Im a bigger DC fan than Marvel, and I like certain DC movies more than most, but this isnt really the case.  

Homecoming and Ragnorok are notably better than most of DCs movies since the Nolan trilogy.   Marvel has a far better track record, so I do think there is more of a willingness to accept their weaker stuff....but DCs worst is far far worse than Marvels worst.   

DC gets picked apart more because they largely put out mediocrity, and dont stay true to the characters fans love.  Birds of Prey ruined Black Mask, had poor marketing, and had characters most fans werent interested in.

Bottom line...DC should put out more quality and less garbage, and give fans what they want, instead of trying to reinvent beloved characters and characters that were already cool (like Black Mask).

Absolutely NO ONE was asking for a Birds of Prey or Harley Quinn solo movie.

10 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Absolutely NO ONE was asking for a Birds of Prey or Harley Quinn solo movie.

Agreed, but Harley Quinn is a marketable asset right now. Suicide Squad wasn't a huge disaster, and HQ was the one thing people latched onto with that film. DC-Warner Bros probably saw they had a lukewarm to warm asset, and Margot as a fast rising star, and decided to try and cash in. Looks like they tried to bring in the elusive Zoomer demo, alongside their base demo [for comic book movies]. Zoomers proved (once again) to be an unreliable demo, while the base demo seems ambivalent to the project and especially the style. 

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

Agreed, but Harley Quinn is a marketable asset right now. Suicide Squad wasn't a huge disaster, and HQ was the one thing people latched onto with that film. DC-Warner Bros probably saw they had a lukewarm to warm asset, and Margot as a fast rising star, and decided to try and cash in. Looks like they tried to bring in the elusive Zoomer demo, alongside their base demo [for comic book movies]. Zoomers proved (once again) to be an unreliable demo, while the base demo seems ambivalent to the project and especially the style. 

Suicide Squad wasnt a disaster, but it  wasnt a huge success either, or a launching pad for Harley Quinn.

Robbie as Quinn is marketable, but as I said months ago, Suicide Squad had Will Smith, Jared Leto, a more interesting premise, better marketing and more popular characters.  She wasnt the standalone driving force in that movie, or even the primary driving force.

Again, if they did more with Harley as a secondary character with Joker and Suicide Squad, I think she could carry a movie, pending it had a strong story and characters and better marketing.

Literally everything about Birds of Prey screamed Box Office Bust.  

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Suicide Squad wasnt a disaster, but it  wasnt a huge success either, or a launching pad for Harley Quinn.

Robbie as Quinn is marketable, but as I said months ago, Suicide Squad had Will Smith, Jared Leto, a more interesting premise, better marketing and more popular characters.  She wasnt the standalone driving force in that movie, or even the primary driving force.

Again, if they did more with Harley as a secondary character with Joker and Suicide Squad, I think she could carry a movie, pending it had a strong story and characters and better marketing.

Literally everything about Birds of Prey screamed Box Office Bust.  

Agree on the marketing, honestly this little clip that is what 2 seconds in the Suicide Squad movie, that little trailer tease probably made them a few million dollars at the box office alone.   People that would have had no interest in the movie all of a sudden have little interest now ;o)  

tumblr_o5g9bsEnz11ub4z3qo8_250.gif

giphy.gif

It did almost capture the cost of the budget in the first weekend so just in that regard it is not a total failure but has a long ways to go to be considered successful.  On Valentines Day weekend though might be a problem, will see...

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Agree on the marketing, honestly this little clip that is what 2 seconds in the Suicide Squad movie, that little trailer tease probably made them a few million dollars at the box office alone.   People that would have had no interest in the movie all of a sudden have little interest now ;o)  

tumblr_o5g9bsEnz11ub4z3qo8_250.gif

giphy.gif

It did almost capture the cost of the budget in the first weekend so just in that regard it is not a total failure but has a long ways to go to be considered successful.  On Valentines Day weekend though might be a problem, will see...

Worldwide box office.  Only $33m domestic.   Gotta factor in marketing costs too.

On a $97m budget, It would have to reach about $150m domestic to even be a remote success, which it wont.

I dont care, though.  The movie doesnt sound as bad as I thought it would be, but it was another moronic decision by WB to even make this movie in the first place.   

WB could easily be making billions with DC movies....instead, most of their movies barely break even.  Aquaman and Wonder Woman are the only two that really delivered the financial gain they wanted.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Worldwide box office.  Only $33m domestic.   Gotta factor in marketing costs too.

On a $97m budget, It would have to reach about $150m domestic to even be a remote success, which it wont.

I dont care, though.  The movie doesnt sound as bad as I thought it would be, but it was another moronic decision by WB to even make this movie in the first place.   

WB could easily be making billions with DC movies....instead, most of their movies barely break even.  Aquaman and Wonder Woman are the only two that really delivered the financial gain they wanted.

Yeah I heard that they have already changed the title online and on most platforms to 'Harley Quinn Birds of Prey' instead of' Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn'.

WB said it was to make it easier for people to find at the box office which is BS.  

Will see how it looks artistically but does not seem to be anything special in terms of cinematography, oddly enough the cinematographer Matthew Libatique did Black Swan.  Costume design Erin Benach did Drive, Blue Valentine and The Lincoln Lawyer.  But the main art directors did crap and should have honestly never been hired, and the Main Director has done little to nothing as well.  Things could have been different with some difference choices behind the scenes.  

• Like 1