Birds of Prey

Ozzy

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I heard that they have already changed the title online and on most platforms to 'Harley Quinn Birds of Prey' instead of' Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn'.

WB said it was to make it easier for people to find at the box office which is BS.  

Will see how it looks artistically but does not seem to be anything special in terms of cinematography, oddly enough the cinematographer Matthew Libatique did Black Swan.  Costume design Erin Benach did Drive, Blue Valentine and The Lincoln Lawyer.  But the main art directors did crap and should have honestly never been hired, and the Main Director has done little to nothing as well.  Things could have been different with some difference choices behind the scenes.  

The title change argument is complete BS.   Means nothing.   That isnt why people arent seeing it.

They even tried to blame the Coronavirus for low numbers.

Wow.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ozzy said:

new-poster-art-for-dcs-birds-of-prey-inc

This wardrobe is unique, interesting and cool.  A little intense, crazy and in your face and is pretty hot.  Very different look than birds of prey which again is a crap wardrobe.

I  mean, they could have gone full Botticelli and had her nude covering up the vitals.  But I doubt most people even get the reference

Just now, INbengalfan said:

I  mean, they could have gone full Botticelli and had her nude covering up the vitals.  But I doubt most people even get the reference

That probably could have helped with the box office sales for sure, but honestly not a huge Botticelli fan of the original but yes I agree few actually get that reference even sadly.  The other female characters in it I could really care less about and why they want to tie them all in I have no clue, like it is some Avengers all female version or something but on the bad guy side....but good guys in this...

Saw this tonight. Me and the girlfriend both really liked it. Nothing groundbreaking or anything, but had some really solid action, some creative moments in terms of humor, and a solid enough story. Got off to a bit of a slow start, and the need to do mini-origin stories is always gonna drag a little (though they handled it incredibly well, considering, blazing through the backstories instead of wasting half the movie on it.) But overall, I liked it. I think they did really well with Quinn as a character, too. With her blowing up there's a lot of her just turning into a so random lol kind of thing instead of actually being a character. This had a bit more of who she actually is (moments that called back to her as a psychiatrist, she was given some actual motivations, in addition to being crazy.) Again, nothing revolutionary, but I'd say like 7, 7.5 out of 10. As far as like wacky ensemble superhero things, I like it way better than Suicide Squad. Probably liked it more than GOTG2, actually. Nowhere near GOTG though.

And to address a couple things in the thread. The script leak was like....half true. There is a diamond. No pictures involved. More substance than that. And the woke complaints are stupid. I'm sure certain people will upset because it's a group of women against male antagonists, but it really only ever references or addresses that in natural ways.

• Like 3

i thought this was pretty good.

funny, i like a lot of the DCAU so by the end of the movie i was a lot more excited about seeing an actual birds of prey movie down the line than anything (Maybe excited for a Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy movie). Its hard to think of this movie as a part of the same universe as Batman v Superman though, which might be a positive you didnt like those movies

9 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

And the woke complaints are stupid. I'm sure certain people will upset because it's a group of women against male antagonists, but it really only ever references or addresses that in natural ways.

Yeah this wasn’t forced at all. I get annoyed with those things when their shoved down your throat in corny ways, but that wasn’t this movie at all. 

I really liked this movie. It’s a shame that anything that isn’t a masterpiece is considered trash nowadays. It was a solid fun movie. 

On 2/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, Jakuvious said:

And the woke complaints are stupid. I'm sure certain people will upset because it's a group of women against male antagonists, but it really only ever references or addresses that in natural ways.

I havent seen it, but a lot of the "woke" stuff stems from several interviews.  Ewen McGregor said the movie is about fighting Patriarchy and someone else labeled it a feminist film.  Most people dont want to hear about politics and social justice issues in a freaking comic book movie.  Thats why alot of actual comic books are failing so miserably, too.

Personally, I think the main reasons it failed, even if its decent, is because of a) poor advertising and b) its a movie no one really particularly wanted.

If they had developed the DCEU better, a movie like this might work.  As it stands, it was a terrible idea pretty much destined to bomb.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:23 PM, Ozzy said:

That probably could have helped with the box office sales for sure, but honestly not a huge Botticelli fan of the original but yes I agree few actually get that reference even sadly.  The other female characters in it I could really care less about and why they want to tie them all in I have no clue, like it is some Avengers all female version or something but on the bad guy side....but good guys in this...

This is a Suicide Teen Girl Squad movie. 

• 2 weeks later...

I kept meaning to throw my thoughts in here, but honestly Im not sure anything constructive will come out of it. But I went as watched it again, and felt like throwing these out;

Off the top, I like the film, Id give it a soft B- because it does have its flaws, but has some really fun stuff too. 

• Robbie is perfect as a live action Harley, if you cant see why they wanted to keep going with her IP, then I just cant help you at this point. Sure they keep Harley hung up on Joker alittle too long, but its so much of what that character is, that its hard to be mad about it. But having her reference back to her Psychology roots was a very nice nod.
  • The fight choreography was very refreshing, as its not the same as we see in most of these movies, much more acrobatic, which is what you would expect from these characters.
  • It REALLY didnt need the 'R' rating, honestly there is nothing that needed it, some language the Cocaine scene, and some suggestive stuff. They could have opened their audience alot by adjusting that
  • As for the rest of the cast, I think Jurnee Smollett-Bell was really good, she plays soft and hardened at the same time really well. It is at he same time cool and confusing seeing the Canary Cry in this movie. I mean its the only superpower type thing that happens at all (that wasnt necessarily needed, but cool none the less)
  • Mary Elizabeth Winstead was awesome as Huntress. The problem was, unless you already know who she is going in, its really hard to follow her story. Honestly, it would have been a better movie if we saw her and Black Canary's stories, with Harley meandering through them, with a team up at the end. 
  • All respect to Rosie Perez, but she just doesnt fit in the world, and is totally miscast as Renee Montoya. Her story is the only spot where you see any of the "feminism focused" stuff that some are spouting off about, and its all undercut anyway. I can get into it more, but mostly none of it works anyway. She is trying to play this so straight and serious for the rest of the gang to riff off of, but Canary does all of that so much better. Anyway, she isnt really needed here, and she doesnt fit into this vibe of the film at all.
  • I dont want to bash, but the girl who plays Cassandra Cain just isnt good. Sorry, but shes not a great actor in this. Not related at all, but it seems weird to use the Cassy Cain character in this movie anyway. She could have been literally anyone, it doesnt matter.
  • Speaking of misused characters, lets get to McGregor and Messina. I actually enjoyed their performances, they are larger than life,  kind of what you want from villains of Harley Quinn. But what they gave us was not Black Mask or Zsasz. Ewan is throwing 100 at all times, which is mostly entertaining, but thats just not Black mask. It almost seems something more Grant Morrison would have introduced, almost like a take on Flamingo or something. And until he has to monologue about his cuts, Zsasz might as well be Bob from the 89 Batman, hes just a guy.

Plenty that needed fixing, mostly stuff that wasnt that hard. But its a decently enjoyable romp. Each time I saw it, the people who arent comic book nerds had a good time. And i think we forget that alot in this bubble on FF and other message boards/internet circles that we get ourselves caught in.

Would really like to see an actual Birds of Prey movie, headlined by Junee Smollet-Bell and Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Black Canary and Huntress. If they would replace Montoya with another character, like Gypsy or Misfit or someone else, and maybe they are not just taking down street level crime, but avenging Montoya's death? Its probably more if a series, but one can dream

And honestly, we really just need to get a Harley & Ivy movie and call it a day

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just saw this. Went into it with low expectations and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Just like Suicide Squad, they were too quick to all the characters that they chose to have. It would have been sooo much better if they had introduced some of these characters in a prior Batman or Flash movies. Huntress wasn't needed or introduced well enough. Rosie Perez is rarely good and wasn't here.

Harley going into the police station with a gun that she has to re-load after every shot and shoots confetti/smoke/paint was terrible. You're telling me that between reloading after EVERY shot, not one of the officers would shoot back or tackle her or anything? I know it's a movie but that was bad.

Ewan McGregor, Black Mask, and Victor Zsasz were wasted imo. The reveal of Sionis finally putting on the mask was so anti-climatic. The mask itself was too large and comical.

And that ending. WTF waste of a character.

I'd currently rank DC movies in this order I think:

Man of Steel

Wonder Woman

Aquaman

Suicide Squad

BvS

BoP

Justice League

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Just saw this. Went into it with low expectations and I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Just like Suicide Squad, they were too quick to all the characters that they chose to have. It would have been sooo much better if they had introduced some of these characters in a prior Batman or Flash movies. Huntress wasn't needed or introduced well enough. Rosie Perez is rarely good and wasn't here.

Harley going into the police station with a gun that she has to re-load after every shot and shoots confetti/smoke/paint was terrible. You're telling me that between reloading after EVERY shot, not one of the officers would shoot back or tackle her or anything? I know it's a movie but that was bad.

Ewan McGregor, Black Mask, and Victor Zsasz were wasted imo. The reveal of Sionis finally putting on the mask was so anti-climatic. The mask itself was too large and comical.

And that ending. WTF waste of a character.

I'd currently rank DC movies in this order I think:

Man of Steel

Wonder Woman

Aquaman

Suicide Squad

BvS

BoP

Justice League

This bothered me so such. That and the scene where she’s in the room with 5 cops. 5 on 1 and just give up to a bean bag gun.