ESPN Pass Block Win Rate and QBs Who Avoid Sacks

RandyMossIsBoss

6 minutes ago, kramxel said:

This seems to imply our O-line is actually good at pass blocking, which is definitely not the case....

There must be something with this data that I'm just flat out missing.

No you're not missing anything, this data is saying they've been 3rd best pass blocking unit (or more precisely, the OL has collectively prevented any pass rushers from beating them for 2.5 seconds at the 3rd highest rate in the league).

PFF, on the other hand, had the Chargers OL as 4th worst prior to the game against Miami. Maybe they had a super clean game against Miami (as most teams do) which thew the ESPN metric out of whack? 4 games is still a small sample size. Or there is just a clear disconnect here in which we are seeing the limits of simply using "2.5 seconds= you're good", because from what I've heard and seen, Chargers OL is definitely not good.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

No you're not missing anything, this data is saying they've been 3rd best pass blocking unit (or more precisely, the OL has collectively prevented any pass rushers from beating them for 2.5 seconds at the 3rd highest rate in the league).

PFF, on the other hand, had the Chargers OL as 4th worst prior to the game against Miami. Maybe they had a super clean game against Miami (as most teams do) which thew the ESPN metric out of whack? 4 games is still a small sample size. Or there is just a clear disconnect here in which we are seeing the limits of simply using "2.5 seconds= you're good", because from what I've heard and seen, Chargers OL is definitely not good.

NFL Next Gen stats has the Time to throw for all QBs:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2019/all#average-time-to-throw

They seem to go around the 2,5s - 3,0s.

Still those #s seem to be way better than they're supposed to, concerning the Chargers O-line, and you're right the Miami game was pretty easy in the pass blocking department.

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

This seems to imply our O-line is actually good at pass blocking, which is definitely not the case....

There must be something with this data that I'm just flat out missing.

Or maybe other teams are just worse?

2 hours ago, john305 said:

Whats the difference between sack rate and QB sack rate?

Sack rate is the % of total pass attempts a QB got sacked. What I called "QB sack rate" is the % of pass attempts a QB got sacked when their OL got beat (which ESPN defines as letting defender past you in under 2.5 seconds). 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 7:24 PM, Bearerofnews said:

Packers oline is insane with all the players they have in the top 10 of pass block win rate. I counted 3 guards, 1 tackle and 1 center. 

Our tackles, when healthy, are among the best in the league.  Our guards are another issue...