2. 2. Furthest away

• FSU
    • USC
    • Nebraska
    • Tennessee
    • Michigan
    • Miami

59 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd go with USC as the closest since they'll be paying athletes and hiring Urban Meyer soon.

USC is likely going to get a top tier head coach next year, and they're still pretty good at recruiting IMO.

Tennessee is just dead in the water, same as the last decade+

I think Tennessee is actually worse off than Nebraska. Players talking about shooting cops, a coach that clearly has no future there, and other regional teams that they have to recruit against. Nebraska has an uphill battle but I think could have the coach to compete at least in the Big Ten West in the near future. 

From the overall setup only FSU and USC are real options. Most of the others can't recruit at the necessary level.

USC will try to get their hands on an elite coach first next year. Smart bet is on them unless they whiff with the hire.

I went with Michigan as being both the closest and furthers from being back.  They've got really good recruiting classes, what should be great coaches etc, so they should be back, but they just seem to always take 5 steps back each season putting them further way from being back and likely going to be replacing their coach soon so putting them even further away.

Just now, candyman93 said:

I judge these programs based on the HCs they have. I like Scott Frost more than any other HC on that list.

USC can skyrocket if they hire Urban.

HC play a big part but can anyone lift Nebraska up? I have serious doubts about it. 

4 hours ago, Danger said:

USC is likely going to get a top tier head coach next year, and they're still pretty good at recruiting IMO.

Tennessee is just dead in the water, same as the last decade+

My thought as well. USC really seems like a coach away. Tennessee aside from sucking has to claw against the SEC. Nebraska was close but I think it is easier to get back in the B1G West than in the SEC East

I think a lot of it depends on how you define "back".  Winning a national title or making the playoffs?  Or just being universally competitive winning 10 games or so every year.  For reference, since 2015, here is the number of 10 win seasons and worst record for each school:

FSU: 10+: 2, Worst: 5-7

Michigan: 10+: 3, Worst: 8-5

Miami: 10+: 1, Worst: 7-6

Nebraska: 10+: 0, Worst: 4-8

Tennessee: 10+: 0, Worst: 4-8

USC: 10+: 2, Worst: 5-7

5 minutes ago, winitall said:

I think a lot of it depends on how you define "back".  Winning a national title or making the playoffs?  Or just being universally competitive winning 10 games or so every year.  For reference, since 2015, here is the number of 10 win seasons and worst record for each school:

FSU: 10+: 2, Worst: 5-7

Michigan: 10+: 3, Worst: 8-5

Miami: 10+: 1, Worst: 7-6

Nebraska: 10+: 0, Worst: 4-8

Tennessee: 10+: 0, Worst: 4-8

USC: 10+: 2, Worst: 5-7

I guess for the sake of the topic, defining back as at least being a real competitor for championships. For example, Oklahoma and UGA have been championship contenders and made the playoffs the past couple years but have not won a recent national championship. So, these teams getting on that type of competitive level. Things these listed teams were all known to do fairly consistently in their pinnacles.