Week 5 GDT: Bucs (2-2) vs. Saints (3-1) - Trial by fire

Canadian Saint

Well isn't this a scenario. After Drew Brees went down against the Rams, most of us were hoping we'd survive going into the BYE via Bridgewater. Yet here we are, 5th week with a division leading 3-1 record against probably the toughest stretch in our schedule. The next test for us is the Bucs. No not the NBA team from Milwaukee, but the NFL team in Tampa Bay. Yes they have a team. Led by QB Jamies Winston and WR Mike Evans, the Bucs are a team who always play us tough. Regardless if they are 3-13 or 2-2. They are in midst of a resurgent year under respected head coach Bruce Arians. Known to be a QB whisperer, he's led the Bucs to a respectable 2-2 record with a recent win of the LA Refs Rams. In addition to Winston and Evans, they had a monstrous season from DE Shaq Barrett. He's had his with O-linemen this season in the form of sacks, FF and consistent pressure. LB Lavonte David is also always a threat, seems to have a pick every other game against the Saints.

Coaches corner:

- Opinions of Bridgewater are a little divided. Some saying he's holding us back/we're limited with him, others saying he's fine. I fall in the latter camp. Bridgewater is what he is. A back up, and probably one of the better ones in the league. I think Payton will make him play it safe and limit turnovers (his INT was the WR fault not his). Just get consistent yardage. I also think it's a trust thing with Payton. Last week I thought Payton let Bridgewater make a few more adventurous throws than the previous start. While there is a distinct lack of deep throws, I did see some back shoulder fades that I didn't see the week before. I think we'll see some more shots down the field as Teddy gets more comfortable with the offense.

- The O-line needs to figure it out. The pre snap penalties killed us against Dallas, and killed a ton of momentum and a fair few drives. 1st and 15 or 20 for Bridgewater is going to end in a punt. I'm not sure if the penalties are due to a rookie C in McCoy or a fresh QB in Bridgewater, but it's a situation that needs handled. On top of that, If I'm honest I think they haven't been at their best the past 3 games. For my money only Ram has played consistently at his level. I've seen Armstead, Peat and Warford give up penetration and pressure when they wouldn't last year. McCoy too, however he is a rookie and I think forgivable.

- In our preseason post, I said the one job the 2nd, 3rd, 4th receiving options would need to do is be consistent. Thus far they haven't. Bridgewater's INT last week was due to a bobbled catch. They did the same thing in the Rams game (IIRC). Cook hasn't been a weapon as promised either. We get Smith back this week, but outside of Thomas, they've been an extremely frustrating group. They need to improve.

- Kamara is a stud. Murray, I'm not sure if it's just playcalling but he hasn't really made his presence felt. I'm hoping he turns it around soon.

- I thought the D had it's best game of the season against the Cowboys. Malcolm Brown has been a huge presence for us. His consistency in the middle has really helped open things up for everyone else. Overall the D-line played great. Onyemata has taken the next step in development and I think become a 3 down player. Jordan is Jordan. I'll also give a shout out to Davenport. He sucked to start the season, but thus far he's improved and gotten some consistent pressure. T-Rex played well too before his neck injury, which I hope is not serious.

- I'll give blame but I also love giving props. Our secondary stepped it up last game. Williams was more focused and took good angles. He had his best game of the season. Lattimore locked down Cooper like he was doing in his rookie season. Apple has been consistent this season, not giving up the big play and doing his job as the #2 CB. I'd like to give a shout out to a guy I think doesn't get talked about enough in Vonn Bell. 3 FF in the past 2 games. He's taken more responsibility in coverage due to Williams' issues and responded great. Always a presence in run support. He's the player I think we all wanted Vaccaro to be. Really have a strong season.

- I did want to highlight one other player. Demario Davis has been incredible. I said he wasn't his best in game 1, but since then he's back to last year. He's another Vilma for us. His pre-snap adjustments have been vital for this D. He's a leader on the field that makes his presence felt. The fact that he's a 3 down LBer who isn't a completely liability in coverage is also massive. Jets give us our MLB for the second time and I'm thinking why they let him go. He's been big for why our D has improved as the season went along imo.

- Best special teams in the league? Yes. Top 3 kicker and punter IMO. Harris is a threat and coverage seems to be good.

For us to win this game, I think it depends on which Winston we get. The one that roasted the Rams is tough to beat. Evans always steps up against us, and they also have Godwin who is a threat. However, IIRC in a Arians system, they need to have good pass protection to be effective, so our pass rush has to get results this week. I think being at home will help, especially after a tough Dallas game.

24-14 Saints.

Edited by Canadian Saint
  • Like 1

Divisional game at home; not something I want to concede even if the Saints were 0-10, playing against the division rival New England Patriots in the newly realigned NFL, and starting a reanimated Drew Brees (after he dies tragically in a mishap on the set of an UNTUCKit commercial shoot).

Not going to be easy. The Bucs are quietly a half decent team that could find their way at the top with everything going on in the rest of the NFC South (not likely, but could happen). Godwin will probably eat us alive, but Jameis does enjoy turning the ball over so maybe we escape another week without needing Teddy to huck it past the sticks - especially if we can control the clock to the tune of 35+ minutes, too.

5 hours ago, Fray32 said:

starting a reanimated Drew Brees (after he dies tragically in a mishap on the set of an UNTUCKit commercial shoot).

This is what happens when they put a Panther fan in charge of on the set safety. 

On 10/3/2019 at 8:16 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Very tough game if good-Winston shows up. 

This is it right here.  If bad Jameis shows up, we win.  If good Jameis shows up, we can still win, but its gonna require some offensive production we haven't yet seen form Teddy.

The Bucs have an offense they can torch people with.  They just need consistent QB play.

Carl Granderson got 5 snaps last week. I don’t remember them, I’ll have to go back and watch.

He’ll be getting a lot more this week with Trey Hendrickson out.

I wonder if they convert new TE Mitchell Loewen back to DL for this game lmao