Top 10 SG's of all time

vikes635

what position do you consider these all time greats?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. what position do you consider these all time greats?

• Allen Iverson is more a SG than a PG
    • Jerry West Is more a SG than a PG
    • Both should be considered PG's
    • Both should be considered SG's

I want to hear arguments  for others that belong on this list, Is there anyone I missed completely? should I re-thing my honorable mentions?

1. Michael Jordan

2. Kobe Bryant

3. Clyde Drexler

4. Dwayne Wade

5. George Gervin

6. Ray Allen

7. Reggie Miller

8. James Harden

9. Earl Monroe

10. Gail Goodrich

HM= Bill Sharman, Mitch Richmond, Joe Dumars, Hal Greer, Tracy McGrady

( if you have west or iverson as SG both would make the list)

1 hour ago, vikes635 said:

I want to hear arguments  for others that belong on this list, Is there anyone I missed completely? should I re-thing my honorable mentions?

1. Michael Jordan

2. Kobe Bryant

3. Clyde Drexler

4. Dwayne Wade

5. George Gervin

6. Ray Allen

7. Reggie Miller

8. James Harden

9. Earl Monroe

10. Gail Goodrich

HM= Bill Sharman, Mitch Richmond, Joe Dumars, Hal Greer, Tracy McGrady

( if you have west or iverson as SG both would make the list)

Pretty good list. I think drexler and Gervin are too high. 

I think harden is ahead of Reggie for sure and probably Ray Allen. 

Im obviously gonna be called biased but I’d put Harden 4th now, but he’s definitely gonna be 4th when he retires and has a shot at 3rd. He can’t catch Kobe or Jordan. 

Here is my suggestion. Can we leave out any and all players that NO ONE has actually seen. Even if you weren't born when Jordan was playing, there is enough film of him playing. But players like Earl Monroe, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West etc have very little film available. And the little that is actually available is not overly impressive.

side note. Iverson won his MVP and played most of his career as a 2. Same with West

I have :

1- MJ

2 - Kobe - 

3A - Wade over Drexler due to better half court scorer

3B - Drexler 

5 - Harden - hate the man and his ISOm offense, but too dominant to be lower IMO.

6 - Ray Allen - under rated scorer but all time shooter for sure.

7 - Iverson - Not everyone could play along  side him, but impact to the game. Also my number one most amazing scorer (not best) barely 6 ft tall and dominanted as a scorer is beyond comprehension IMO.

8 - Reggie Miller - though a bit of a one trick Pony, his clutch factor can not go unrecognized. 

9 - Klay Thompson - needs a little more time and he will be higher on my list.

10 - Vince Carter - if only no injuries.

1. MJ - No argument for anyone else.

2. Kobe - Not the highest peak but he's best combination of peak/prime/longevity/accolades.

3. West - Fantastic player for a long time. One of basketball's greatest minds.

4. Wade - Wade peaked higher than West but his prime was extremely short for an ATG.

5. Harden - In the middle of one of the greatest offensive primes in NBA history. He's a near lock to pass Wade and has an outside shot at Kobe/West.

6. Drexler - An ATG who only falls because the last twenty years have brought some incredible SG's into the mix.

7. Allen - Couldn't carry a team like Iverson but was a much more well rounded player and good for longer. Better overall player than Reggie.

8. Miller - He was clutch, he was great for a long time, he was a sniper but his peak is well below everyone most in the top 10.

9. Iverson - His reputation is greater than his actual achievements. A dynamic #1 option but was an extremely flawed overall player.

10. McGrady - Probably forgetting someone with a better career but at his best he was an absolute force.I'd take him at his best over 6-9.

HM: Gervin (admittedly I know little about him, wouldn't be surprised if more research put him top 7), VC (good peak, good longevity), Earl the Pearl 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

1. MJ - No argument for anyone else.

2. Kobe - Not the highest peak but he's best combination of peak/prime/longevity/accolades.

3. West - Fantastic player for a long time. One of basketball's greatest minds.

4. Wade - Wade peaked higher than West but his prime was extremely short for an ATG.

5. Harden - In the middle of one of the greatest offensive primes in NBA history. He's a near lock to pass Wade and has an outside shot at Kobe/West.

6. Drexler - An ATG who only falls because the last twenty years have brought some incredible SG's into the mix.

7. Allen - Couldn't carry a team like Iverson but was a much more well rounded player and good for longer. Better overall player than Reggie.

8. Miller - He was clutch, he was great for a long time, he was a sniper but his peak is well below everyone most in the top 10.

9. Iverson - His reputation is greater than his actual achievements. A dynamic #1 option but was an extremely flawed overall player.

10. McGrady - Probably forgetting someone with a better career but at his best he was an absolute force.I'd take him at his best over 6-9.

HM: Gervin (admittedly I know little about him, wouldn't be surprised if more research put him top 7), VC (good peak, good longevity), Earl the Pearl 

I suddenly have thought about McGrady, but at 6'9 I figured he'd be more of a small forward

24 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I suddenly have thought about McGrady, but at 6'9 I figured he'd be more of a small forward

He played both extensively though he was at SG more than SF in all but 3 seasons.

36 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Why does height matter?

It doesn't matter if you can play the position but my blurry memory seems to think he had more small forward time but I'll have to review some video to make sure. But if you guys determined he was more of a shooting guard then I will easily put them in my top 10 shooting list

• 3 weeks later...