Dashaun Watson's exchange with reporter after the loss to Carolina.

TecmoSuperJoe

Just to get this right out of the way, this isn't a thread to showcase Waston dunking on a reporter for asking a dumb question. I don't think Watson was trying to be slick with how he responded. And the reporter later went online and essentially said everyone won with what happened, and I think he's right. But this entire altercation got me thinking about how the NFL caters to the casual fan in various ways, and if that is what is what is best for everybody. First here is the video:

A response from the reporter later on Twitter (he works for The Athletic):

There is a really good article about the entire thing from Deadspin here that I suggest you read. It's like a 30 second read:

https://deadspin.com/i-love-everything-about-this-deshaun-watson-exchange-wi-1838628509

Now down to my thoughts that ignited from all of this. Hmmm...what if we actually got answers like this from athletes all the time instead of what we usually here, and have heard all the time for so many years? What if this kind of thing was talked about during live games? What if Trent Green or Tony Romo just turned their casual viewer filter off, and actually went full chalkboard during a live broadcast? Would that make the product worse? There was a remark in the comment section of the deadspin article that really resonated with me: 

Honestly, I think most football fans don’t want an answer like Watson’s. They either want performative emotion — “I doesn’t what coverage they’re in, we gotta goddam play better!” — and/or some boring sound-bite sports cliche that they can nod their head to.

I think the retired talking heads on TV are playing to the audience. For every fan that enjoys a detailed, informed discussion of the strategies and counter strategies, another five get real sick of that nerd **** and wonder when they’re going to show that hot blonde again. 

If you watch games from the 1980's, it's even more watered down. Now, I'll never know close to what any of these players or coaches know. I'm just not that invested in football to the degree that I'd have to dedicate a huge portion of my time reading books, constantly looking at film on YouTube or Game Pass, and seeking out every crumb of information out there just to be able to sit at the same table as any QB in the NFL, and even attempt to speak on the same level. 

I remember in the 90's, and early 2000's there was a show on ESPN called NFL Matchup with Ron Jaworski, and other analysts actually breaking down concepts with All 22 footage, and talking X's and O's for an entire half hour. Even for a television show, it was just different compared to what was usually done on something like NFL Live, or NFL Total Access where a lot of the talking points are usually flirting with the "melodrama" aspect of the NFL. Sadly, NFL Matchup was the type of show that always seemed to come on at 3AM, and just was never in the spotlight on the network as other NFL shows. 

I feel like although I didn't understand everything that Watson said from the start the first time, it was actually refreshing to hear that kind of answer. Kyle Shanahan does this sometimes too in his pressers, but you don't hear it much from players. Of course, reporters usually don't ask questions about X's and O's. Probably, because it's not good for business, I don't know. 

So...what do you make of this? I know it's not really a "story", but do you like the commentary from players and broadcasters that adhere to the most casual of NFL fans? Or would you like the nature of responses to change? 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, it was a really great answer to a question that was asked and the reporter thanked him for it.

Obviously it seemed like Watson was a bit irked at first, but he collected himself and gave a detailed answer that I think is almost unanimously appreciated by football fans.

Watson was at crossroads after the first few seconds. He thought for a bit if he was going to be an *** or be nice lol.

• Like 2