Dashaun Watson's exchange with reporter after the loss to Carolina.

TecmoSuperJoe

The fact that 1 minute of him explaining some basic coverage went viral (5.5 million views within 2 days) tells you all you need to know. There is a HUGE market for fans who are interested in the Xs and Os of this insanely complex sport, they don't just want narratives 24/7. Football is the most watched sport in the country, yet how many of us can actually explain even a fraction of what exactly is going on each play? That falls on the broadcasters and how they choose to sell it. I understand most fans probably don't care about the Xs and Os, but when we're talking a fanbase as large as the NFL's, that still leaves millions of viewers who are starving for more in depth breakdowns of the game.

NFL films has a little film session series with Baldy and Jaws where they go over some of a player's tape with that player for 10 minutes, and they're great and people love them. Hopefully they expand on it and start putting it more content like it.

• Like 6

would be pretty interested in more x's and o's discussion from players or analysts whether in articles or on video. of course most people don't care and just read headlines. you can see it in this thread considering people are just responding to what they think of deadspin or deshaun watson's reaction instead of reading your entire OP. lol! great work everyone!

julius peppers just started a weekly video series with the panthers where he breaks down the opposing offense, which is kinda nifty, though he isn't a great orator. i like some of baldinger's analysis on twitter. really the only places i know of to get more serious x's and o's chatter.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

would be pretty interested in more x's and o's discussion from players or analysts whether in articles or on video. of course most people don't care and just read headlines. you can see it in this thread considering people are just responding to what they think of deadspin or deshaun watson's reaction instead of reading your entire OP. lol! great work everyone!

julius peppers just started a weekly video series with the panthers where he breaks down the opposing offense, which is kinda nifty, though he isn't a great orator. i like some of baldinger's analysis on twitter. really the only places i know of to get more serious x's and o's chatter.

Baldinger is great yeah, idk about players but you have Brett Kollmann (who is awesome at storytelling) who breaks down some film, Samuel Gold too (both on youtube).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Can someone summarize what he said? Can't hear audio atm.

He kinda laughed and asked "Did you know what coverage they were playing?" The reporter started to stammer a bit, expecting the other shoe to drop - but Watson went and educated the room on the Cover 4 and Cover 2 schemes that Carolina was playing on Sunday.

It felt like it was going to get catty, then it went a different direction.

The intricacies of pro football are beyond me, and consequently so is Watson's answer to the question. :$  I know he was detailing how the offense has to play against different coverage schemes. Partly out of frustration with the question, but still a good way to answer. It takes patience to break things down like that, but I'm kind of glad it's not typical on NFL broadcasts.

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It felt like it was going to get catty, then it went a different direction.

I think he was annoyed with the question, which is fair. 

I think he tried to answer nicely but his first sentence came out a lot more snarky than he meant. You could kinda see in his eyes he went “whoops” after he caught himself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I remember in the 90's, and early 2000's there was a show on ESPN called NFL Matchup with Ron Jaworski, and other analysts actually breaking down concepts with All 22 footage, and talking X's and O's for an entire half hour. Even for a television show, it was just different compared to what was usually done on something like NFL Live, or NFL Total Access where a lot of the talking points are usually flirting with the "melodrama" aspect of the NFL. Sadly, NFL Matchup was the type of show that always seemed to come on at 3AM, and just was never in the spotlight on the network as other NFL shows

I used to stay up late to watch this show. They still have it I believe but with Greg Cosell. Or at least, they did last season. Havent seen it this season. Greg is the man. 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:
6 hours ago, FinSting said:

Football: blocking and tackling. 

used to be. Now though, it's celebrations , reviews and commercials

To be fair, there’s still a lot of blocking and tackling.

Almost every single play, to be precise. 

• Like 1