Dashaun Watson's exchange with reporter after the loss to Carolina.

TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The fact that 1 minute of him explaining some basic coverage went viral (5.5 million views within 2 days) tells you all you need to know. There is a HUGE market for fans who are interested in the Xs and Os of this insanely complex sport, they don't just want narratives 24/7. Football is the most watched sport in the country, yet how many of us can actually explain even a fraction of what exactly is going on each play? That falls on the broadcasters and how they choose to sell it. I understand most fans probably don't care about the Xs and Os, but when we're talking a fanbase as large as the NFL's, that still leaves millions of viewers who are starving for more in depth breakdowns of the game.

NFL films has a little film session series with Baldy and Jaws where they go over some of a player's tape with that player for 10 minutes, and they're great and people love them. Hopefully they expand on it and start putting it more content like it.

Thanks for getting the point of this thread, and responding accordingly. Fittingly, some people are just focusing on whether Watson dunked on the reporter or not. Sigh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zithers2 said:

would be pretty interested in more x's and o's discussion from players or analysts whether in articles or on video. of course most people don't care and just read headlines. you can see it in this thread considering people are just responding to what they think of deadspin or deshaun watson's reaction instead of reading your entire OP. lol! great work everyone!

julius peppers just started a weekly video series with the panthers where he breaks down the opposing offense, which is kinda nifty, though he isn't a great orator. i like some of baldinger's analysis on twitter. really the only places i know of to get more serious x's and o's chatter.

Right? Lol.

54 minutes ago, Dome said:

To be fair, there’s still a lot of blocking and tackling.

Almost every single play, to be precise. 

no, more like pushing (blocking) and missed tackles.  There might be a few good hitting tackles in a game , thats it.  The game is nothing like it was in this regard. 

2 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

would be pretty interested in more x's and o's discussion from players or analysts whether in articles or on video. of course most people don't care and just read headlines. you can see it in this thread considering people are just responding to what they think of deadspin or deshaun watson's reaction instead of reading your entire OP. lol! great work everyone!

That’s because deadspin is an absolutely horrible site that takes their political takes and squeezes it into their sports. It’s the entire reason why people can’t stand espn either.  Why do I want to tune in on a daily basis when they’re going to be talking about what constitutes consent in the Antonio Brown case instead of sports?  Deadspin is the exact same way with their annoying liberal agenda being shoved down everyone’s throat and it’s really ruining any amount of credibility they have at the moment

14 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Watson is the total package at QB. Give him a few more years and he’ll be lighting it up like DangeRuss is now 

... depending if he gets a better coaching staff. Bill O'Brien is slowly ruining his progression, trying to turn him into Christian Hackenberg circa 2013.

Fit the system to the player, not jam the player in the system.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

... depending if he gets a better coaching staff. Bill O'Brien is slowly ruining his progression, trying to turn him into Christian Hackenberg circa 2013.

Fit the system to the player, not jam the player in the system.

Right. If Jim Harbaugh doesn’t end up staying in Michigan then I’d be all over him to come when BOB is fired. 

In no way can the Texans be that stupid to waste a QB the caliber of Watson 

• Like 1

what deshaun said was super basic, I don't get the "oh that was super amazing" takes. football fans really didn't know the basics of a cover 4?

as far as the op question, it probably would get annoying if the broadcast team got super breakdowny in the middle of the game. also it would probably be pretty hard to identify it off the top and still be good at calling the game. if you watch people who breakdown plays on twitter/yt they could take a couple minutes on a single play. so that would be weird if they are consistently doing that in the middle of the game. maybe during halftime or like challenges, etc. It would probably mess the flow up

Edited by 11sanchez11

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The fact that 1 minute of him explaining some basic coverage went viral (5.5 million views within 2 days) tells you all you need to know. There is a HUGE market for fans who are interested in the Xs and Os of this insanely complex sport, they don't just want narratives 24/7. Football is the most watched sport in the country, yet how many of us can actually explain even a fraction of what exactly is going on each play? That falls on the broadcasters and how they choose to sell it. I understand most fans probably don't care about the Xs and Os, but when we're talking a fanbase as large as the NFL's, that still leaves millions of viewers who are starving for more in depth breakdowns of the game.

NFL films has a little film session series with Baldy and Jaws where they go over some of a player's tape with that player for 10 minutes, and they're great and people love them. Hopefully they expand on it and start putting it more content like it.

I think the main reason they don't have athletes talk like Deshaun did here is because most athletes are black and most of the viewing audience is white.  The NFL doesn't want its predomimantly white audience feeling intellectually inferior to its predominantly black labor force.   Its one thing for a guy like Deshaun Watson to show his athletic superiority every Sunday on the football field.  Its expected given the racial paradigm we live under in this country.  However, showing intellectual superiority as a black man is something that has historically been met with violence in this country.

I'm pretty sure most Americans would not be comfortable seeing a guy like Deshaun Watson or god forbid Lamar Jackson talking circles around them intellectually after every football game.  That might lead some to reconsider many of the streotypes we have been raised to believe.  And reconsidering deeply held beliefs isn't something people like to do. 

Edited by VanS
  • Like 5

I really, really liked that answer.

I feel like we literally just saw the exact opposite of;

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856806/article/cam-funny-to-hear-a-female-talk-about-routes

These guys are professionals. They understand the game on a level that most of us simply can't comprehend. Sometimes players are asked questions that may seem silly from their perspective, but are in reality solid questions coming from people that cannot understand the game on a professional level. Watson handled that question perfectly and answered it perfectly. Cam Newton handled it poorly, answered it poorly, and accidentally showed an ugly bit of himself.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

@VanS

We don't go into race here.

@everyone else

We won't be having that discussion. Thank you in advance

So you're saying you guys don't have any honest debate here then?

Cause to censor any discussion of race in relation to sports is to ignore the pink elephant in the middle of the room.  

I didn't call anybody names or disparage any race btw.  All I did was point out the pink elephant in the room.