Dashaun Watson's exchange with reporter after the loss to Carolina.

TecmoSuperJoe

1. Pressers are often a waste of time, so if reporters can ask questions that get responses like these, then that makes them all the better.

2. I think commentators do go into more detail than they used to and will even talk about different alignments and coverages, more Xs and Os, and I like that.

3. However, if they did that all the time, ratings would probably suffer because it's supposed to be somewhat mindless entertainment. Most people arent tuning into football on Sunday for a lecture on Xs and Os.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

my only point was that what he said wasn't anything super insightful or groundbreaking. And a lot of people were acting like it was. 

the og clip has 5.5 million views and 28k likes because he said it's hard to throw deep on cover 4...

I'm not sure what your point is but I don't think it has a lot to do with what I said. 

Well in your initial post you came off as a gatekeeper with the "NFL fans really don't know cover 4...?"/No true Scotsman take. It's kind of like..."who are you flexing for buddy?" :|

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

1. Pressers are often a waste of time, so if reporters can ask questions that get responses like these, then that makes them all the better.

2. I think commentators do go into more detail than they used to and will even talk about different alignments and coverages, more Xs and Os, and I like that.

3. However, if they did that all the time, ratings would probably suffer because it's supposed to be somewhat mindless entertainment. Mos arent tuning into football on Sunday for a lecture on Xs and Os.

What do think that says about our era of fandom? Because as time as progressed, and with the advent of better technology and resources, more information is out there...yet the appeal for the casual semi invested fan remains high. Hmm...would new viewers feel intimidated if commentary from broadcasters was turned to max nerd?

• Like 1

On 04/10/2019 at 11:45 PM, PapaShogun said:

So...what do you make of this? I know it's not really a "story", but do you like the commentary from players and broadcasters that adhere to the most casual of NFL fans? Or would you like the nature of responses to change? 

There is definitely a market for it. The NFL has a lot of great film analysis / breakdown content on their various YouTube channels. Tbh, the NFL is probably the best sports channel / sport content creator on YT - its content puts other offical sports channels to shame.

Baldy does a lot of the analysis. He also teams up with Jaws to sit down with players & breakdown their game tape. There's some good stuff with Peyton on the channel too. 

Also, you can find high quality independents putting out fantastic content - Kollmann & Gold come to mind. 

Depending on what's being analysed the views can range from 100,000 - 1~ 2M+ ... The popularity of the videos suggests there's plenty of people who love X's & O's content. 

Outside of what Romo provides I'm not sure if it would work on the live game platform? But, it sure as hell works on YT which lends itself to long form material. 

Edited by Small Town Values
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonChigurh said:

what a stupid expectation

You're not going to make it far in life thinking it's okay or even the norm to be rude to the people you work with. Watson probably realized that which is in part why he went out of his way to answer the question. 

Its not surprising to me that Watson is thinking about all this during games, I feel like BOB goes out of his way to make his QBs know this stuff, which is why I think sometimes Watson holds too long before passing, maybe just over thinking things or stuff like that