Jump to content
Breesus mode

Diggs rumors

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yes, guaranteed base salary transfers to new teams. There's nothing prohibitive in the way the contract is set right now that would prevent a trade if the right offer came along. I find it unlikely from a standpoint of just football reasons, but the money wouldn't be a problem. 

right, but they still have to make a corresponding move elsewhere to make this happen. Trading him today still puts them over the cap, and the space needed only increases every week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Not to pay him mega bucks.  The Vikings would likely have to eat the difference between his current contract and what he signed for with the new team.  I'm no salary/cap expert, so I don't know how it would be done, but I would guess that it could be.  He also has a no-trade clause in his contract, so there is also that to deal with.

He has a no trade clause and a fully GTD contact. So basically the Vikings have no option but to cut him unless Cousins plays nice. But why would he? He can literally wait for yall to cut him, go sign to any team he wants for league minimum, and yall are still on the hook for the difference. He has absolutely no incentive to help out the Vikings. 

 

Your only real shot is if a contending team loses their QB before the trade deadline either this year or next year. Otherwise he is untradable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

He has a no trade clause and a fully GTD contact. So basically the Vikings have no option but to cut him unless Cousins plays nice. But why would he? He can literally wait for yall to cut him, go sign to any team he wants for league minimum, and yall are still on the hook for the difference. He has absolutely no incentive to help out the Vikings. 

 

Your only real shot is if a contending team loses their QB before the trade deadline either this year or next year. Otherwise he is untradable. 

You're probably right.  As far as the contending team thing, we considered ourselves a contending team too and we don't want him, so the other contending team would have to be pretty desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do what Texans did with Brock. He was so bad, they gave Browns a 2nd to get rid of the contract. Give Miami a 2nd , 4th Cousins for Fitzpatrick. The 2nd is for them to offload the contract and the 4th is for Fitz. Who IMO is an upgrade over Cousins. Fitzmagic baby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Do what Texans did with Brock. He was so bad, they gave Browns a 2nd to get rid of the contract. Give Miami a 2nd , 4th Cousins for Fitzpatrick. The 2nd is for them to offload the contract and the 4th is for Fitz. Who IMO is an upgrade over Cousins. Fitzmagic baby. 

he has a full no trade clause

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think the more likely scenario is that Diggs stays a Viking, Cousins is traded in the offseason, the Vikings take the financial hit, and we take a QB in the first round of the draft.  

Who is taking on his 28M guaranteed deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who is taking on his 28M guaranteed deal? 

If we were talking Cousins from even just last year, I think several teams would. But if he keeps up this level of play, his value has absolutely cratered and nobody will take on that kind of figure. He needs to go finish the season at a comparable level to what he has shown in the past. If he can be that guy again, I think a team would take a shot if the Vikings were over this experiment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we were talking Cousins from even just last year, I think several teams would. But if he keeps up this level of play, his value has absolutely cratered and nobody will take on that kind of figure. He needs to go finish the season at a comparable level to what he has shown in the past. If he can be that guy again, I think a team would take a shot if the Vikings were over this experiment. 

I think there is a pretty good chance he will start putting up some better numbers.  We've had two games where we didn't really need him to pass because we beat the Falcons and the Raiders mainly with defense and rushing the ball.  He had one horrible pass that was intercepted at the end of the Green Bay game, but he also made some nice passes in that game too.  Against 'da Bears, the whole defense was just decimated, so I don't think that is necessarily something to expect from here on because that Bears defense is beastly.

If he lets the outside pressure get to him and rolls over and wets himself this week against the Giants, it could get ugly.  I think there is a better chance he puts together a pretty good game against a struggling Giants secondary.  It's the following week against Dallas that will be telling after that.  We aren't going to run the ball to a win against that Cowboys defense.  He will have to put up or shut up then.  We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we were talking Cousins from even just last year, I think several teams would. But if he keeps up this level of play, his value has absolutely cratered and nobody will take on that kind of figure. He needs to go finish the season at a comparable level to what he has shown in the past. If he can be that guy again, I think a team would take a shot if the Vikings were over this experiment. 

Well, if he gets back on the level of last season, then he won't be going anywhere. The thing is no one is taking on that deal unless the Vikings throw in a high draft pick. Is a team that has SB hopes willing to do that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, if he gets back on the level of last season, then he won't be going anywhere. The thing is no one is taking on that deal unless the Vikings throw in a high draft pick. Is a team that has SB hopes willing to do that? 

The Vikings could also just throw in money to compensate instead of a draft pick, couldn't they?  I don't know for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Who is taking on his 28M guaranteed deal? 

It would only be for one year, assuming Cousins is traded in the offseason. Best course of action is to cut Cousins in the offseason and try to work around his dead money. 

As for Diggs, he’s got a lot of incentives in his deal dependent upon production. He should have known what he was signing, being the #2 WR on a Zimmer led team. We know Thielen is the top target in MN. I can’t see MN trading Diggs unless they are blown away with an offer, to include a first round pick. The cap situation probably makes him impossible to trade now. He signed his deal after Cousins was signed so he knew what he was signing up for. I have little sympathy for him.

Edited by vikingsrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think I can remember the last time I saw a QB with a start to the season this disastrous.

2 INTs in four games, a passer rating at 95% the league average, on a 2-2 team?

This coming after only having 4298 yards and a 99.7 rating last season?

 

How can a QB endure this kind of stretch of play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Diggs to the Saints would spell doom for the rest of the NFC for the next few years. Why would the hated Vikings do that? The Saints are the best combination of good team and poor receiver corp in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as the team being able to take on Kirk’s salary, the team would actually have to be a team he wants to play for as well. Given his no trade clause I don’t seem him agreeing to go anywhere that doesn’t put him in a similar situation to the one he’s in right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×