Do you trade AJ?

Johnny Nix

Would you trade AJ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade AJ?

• Yes for a 2nd round pick or more
    • No hes an important piece to build on
    • Maybe, but only for a 1st rounder

I seriously doubt the Bengals make any trades. Zac Taylor doesn't strike me as a "give up and get picks for next year", hes gonna want to keep locker room cohesion. However if we are winless by the draft deadline, I think you seriously have to consider trading a few guys.

AJ Green- The only way I see him gone is if we get a first round pick. If he doesn't sign a new deal and leaves next year, that will be a huge blunder.

Andy Dalton- Seriously doubt we trade him, but if our plan is to draft a QB in round 1 next year, why are you holding on to him? Finley offers similar Dalton traits

Tyler Eifert- I'd trade him, we aren't using him enough and his with his injury history, its only a matter of time, try to get a 3rd

I doubt they trade anyone on defense, they are already hurting enough there.

13 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

AJ and Geno are legit HOF candidates.  But they most likely won't get in if the stay with the Bengals their entire career.  Trade them to a contender and their chances go up drastically...

I think Geno can get in regardless.  He probably needs to hit 100 sacks, which would be a really impressive number for a DT.  It also means he'd need to play for another 4 years at a high level.

AJ though - this injury bug the last few years has really limited his shot.  Statistically, Julio has passed him, and guys like DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Beckham Jr, etc are closing the gap.  He needs to get healthy, stay healthy, and put up some good numbers for the next 5 years or so.

Less than 12,000 yards and he has little to no shot.
If he can get to 13000 yards, he has a decent shot.
14,000 yards and his chances are much better.
15,000 and he's a lock.

Like you said, if he managed some of this on a great team that had some postseason success his chances only get better.  

16 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I seriously doubt the Bengals make any trades. Zac Taylor doesn't strike me as a "give up and get picks for next year", hes gonna want to keep locker room cohesion. However if we are winless by the draft deadline, I think you seriously have to consider trading a few guys.

AJ Green- The only way I see him gone is if we get a first round pick. If he doesn't sign a new deal and leaves next year, that will be a huge blunder.

Andy Dalton- Seriously doubt we trade him, but if our plan is to draft a QB in round 1 next year, why are you holding on to him? Finley offers similar Dalton traits

Tyler Eifert- I'd trade him, we aren't using him enough and his with his injury history, its only a matter of time, try to get a 3rd

If we don't trade AJ and he's healthy at the end of the year and we don't work out an extension, then i'd say 100% he gets franchised.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, johndeere1707 said:

Those are some awfully high prices there. 

12 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's very generous.

There's really not a team in the NFL that can't be more than two years away.  All it takes is a QB, really.

Contracts are too short, and careers are too short, for these windows to be any longer than 2-3 years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theJ said:

There's really not a team in the NFL that can't be more than two years away.  All it takes is a QB, really.

Contracts are too short, and careers are too short, for these windows to be any longer than 2-3 years.

I can’t say I trust in our scouting process, or “GMs” Duke Tobin and Katie Blackburn, or Mike Brown to think we’re two or three years away. The only hope we have as fans is if we get lucky and actually draft a great QB. Until then, we won’t draft particularly well, we won’t pay or attract any significant free agents, and good coaches won’t want to sign under this management. The restraints of this mismanaged franchise are too great, only a lotto ticket QB is the way out of purgatory for us. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I can’t say I trust in our scouting process, or “GMs” Duke Tobin and Katie Blackburn, or Mike Brown to think we’re two or three years away. The only hope we have as fans is if we get lucky and actually draft a great QB. Until then, we won’t draft particularly well, we won’t pay or attract any significant free agents, and good coaches won’t want to sign under this management. The restraints of this mismanaged franchise are too great, only a lotto ticket QB is the way out of purgatory for us. 

Yes, ownership presents its own challenges.  But no franchise can really compete without a QB.

This team is 2 years away (meaning, could compete for playoffs or better in 2021) if they manage to find a QB in this years class.  If not, who knows how long that will take.  But if they miss on a QB this year, you can pretty much guarantee that by the time they roll the dice on the next QB, the younger "core" will be pretty much gone by then.

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

Unfortunately we know our owner and he tends to hold out for max value (see Carson’s Palmer trade, AJ McCarron almost trade)

I don't mind that approach for AJ, because i think he can provide great value to the team for the next 4 years or so.  Same with Geno.  Selling those guys for 2nd or 3rd round picks is bad team management considering the bust rate in those rounds.

But i'd sell Dunlap ASAP.  I think he has about 2-3 decent years left.

I'd sell Eifert for whatever i could get too, given they're scared to use him.