Johnny Nix

Would you trade AJ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade AJ?

• Yes for a 2nd round pick or more
    • No hes an important piece to build on
    • Maybe, but only for a 1st rounder

On 10/7/2019 at 3:15 PM, johndeere1707 said:

I seriously doubt the Bengals make any trades. Zac Taylor doesn't strike me as a "give up and get picks for next year"

Good thing that's up to your GM/Ownership and not your coach.

Figured i'd give a quick outsider's perspective from a team that will probably be active at the deadline I think the most interest will be in Green and William Jackson (h/t @Danger for bringing him up which brought me to your forum)

Green is an elite talent on an expiring contact. That said I'd temper your expectations of a first considering he'll be MAYBE a week or two off of injury and teams want to know what they'll be getting for the remainder of the season to make a move this season instead of just looking his was in the offseason.
Jackson is a solid CB with a 5th year option left on his deal after this year. Not overly concerning if someone plans on resigning him.
Dunlap is possible but it would take an edge needy team with some solid cap space.
Billy Price. Someone might take a flier if they think they can fix him.

Others that were mentioned:
Geno is a great player but a 14+ mil cap hit for the next three years for a player on the wrong side of 30 makes him a hard piece to trade as he's worth more to you than another team.
Eiftert probably isn't fetching you anything in a trade. His contract isnt' bad but his production/injury history are.
Nobody is taking on Dalton, for anything.

I think you use the Amari Cooper deal as a barometer for any deal involving AJ Green. Green is the better wide receiver but Cooper had an additional year of control left, was younger, and Green is coming off an injury. I think a 2nd round pick is fair compensation for him under these circumstances. (No I'm not suggesting the Eagles trade for him)

I'm not sure where I'd value Jackson at.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think you use the Amari Cooper deal as a barometer for any deal involving AJ Green. Green is the better wide receiver but Cooper had an additional year of control left, was younger, and Green is coming off an injury. I think a 2nd round pick is fair compensation for him under these circumstances. (No I'm not suggesting the Eagles trade for him)

I'm not sure where I'd value Jackson at.

I don’t think William jackson is going anywhere

47 minutes ago, Danger said:

I put it at less than 50% that he is traded, but I think your FO (should, not that they will) look to do a fullscale rebuild at this point.

I'd put it at 0.1%. Jackson isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure why his name has surfaced here. Rebuild or not, why would we trade our only good corner, who happens to be young and ascending?

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

I don’t think William jackson is going anywhere

18 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'd put it at 0.1%. Jackson isn't going anywhere. I'm not sure why his name has surfaced here. Rebuild or not, why would we trade our only good corner, who happens to be young and ascending?

The thought is that you can turn one piece into multiple pieces in a rebuild. I don't think a trade is likely but I believe he is one of your more desirable assets if you did entertain a full rebuild.

I think the bengals are in a tough spot for a rebuild, hopefully you guys can find a QB (Herbert or Fromm likely) and the rebuild isn't as much as it looks.

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

The thought is that you can turn one piece into multiple pieces in a rebuild. I don't think a trade is likely but I believe he is one of your more desirable assets if you did entertain a full rebuild.

I think the bengals are in a tough spot for a rebuild, hopefully you guys can find a QB (Herbert or Fromm likely) and the rebuild isn't as much as it looks.

I get that, I just don't understand why we can't rebuild with Jackson on the roster. Not every player needs to be sold for picks when committing to a rebuild. We're rebuilding for the future, and Jackson is apart of that future (he's going to turn 26 at the end of October). Plus, he's more valuable than whatever a team would offer in the extremely unlikely scenario the team actually sees Jackson as expendable.

The problem with the Bengals rebuilding isn't lack of tools to do the job. We'll have high picks next year and plenty of cap room. It's the management team in place which is a crippling liability to the team's competitiveness. Taylor will have a chance to hire some new coaches and if we don't blow the picks we should be adding some talent. Maybe we can dump the Hart type sluggards too. But we won't be adding anyone top tier in free agency even though we could afford it. So the older talents on the roster will continue to age before the window reopens to win a playoff game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The problem with the Bengals rebuilding isn't lack of tools to do the job. We'll have high picks next year and plenty of cap room. It's the management team in place which is a crippling liability to the team's competitiveness. Taylor will have a chance to hire some new coaches and if we don't blow the picks we should be adding some talent. Maybe we can dump the Hart type sluggards too. But we won't be adding anyone top tier in free agency even though we could afford it. So the older talents on the roster will continue to age before the window reopens to win a playoff game.

This

On 10/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, Hockey5djh said:

Green is an elite talent on an expiring contact. That said I'd temper your expectations of a first considering he'll be MAYBE a week or two off of injury and teams want to know what they'll be getting for the remainder of the season to make a move this season instead of just looking his was in the offseason.

Don't take this as a personal shot at you, but i feel it needs to be worded this way:

I think you need to temper your expectations that the Bengals even think about moving AJ Green for less than a 1st round pick+.  Yes, a first, and more.

I get that he's coming off an injury, but if a team isn't willing to send over some serious compensation for a proven player, hurt or not, then he's not going to be available.  The fact that he's hurt is not a problem for the Bengals on the trade market (it is on the field, but that's a different matter) - it's the other team's problem.  The Bengals are perfectly content franchising him next year and using him to help usher in the rebuild.

Sorry again for the harsh wording, but people are acting like the Bengals are desperate to unload the guy.  They're not.  They want to keep him.

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

i think we wait till the trade deadline and try to trade him to the team that could net us the highest pick. 

I doubt they're actively looking.  I think it'd have to be a pretty great deal for the Bengals to make this happen.