Johnny Nix

Would you trade AJ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade AJ?

• Yes for a 2nd round pick or more
    • No hes an important piece to build on
    • Maybe, but only for a 1st rounder

14 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

He would be back if he had a long term deal...

Just curious why would he want a long term deal when they are on a complete rebuild? Outside of Jonah, do you guys have legit olineman? I know bills traded Cordy Glenn but he was always injured and seems to be that way with you guys so is he going to stick around with that price tag he has? QB is needed im assuming? ON defense you seem to have a few pieces but that d is weaker compared to years past. So how close are they actually to be contending?

Why would you come out and say that you aren't trading him? The organization does not have much leverage as he is a free agent after this year, and he is a nice guy that doesnt want to ruffle any feathers to demand a trade but you have to assume he doesnt want to be there through a rebuild at his age. He seems like he is milking the injury to prevent any risk of further injury and not getting one more big pay day before he retires. You can clear up cap to roll over to next year, get probably a 2nd round pick for him and build the team appropriately with the younger pieces you currently have. I just dont see him wanting to return and not test the open market and go to a team that will contend and give him an opportunity to get a ring. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Just curious why would he want a long term deal when they are on a complete rebuild?

AJ is humble and loyal to the team. He wants the franchise to do well. He's not the type of player to abandon ship, even if it might be sinking. 

Why would you come out and say that you aren't trading him?

For leverage. If we put up a "Not for Sale" sign, teams are really going to have to up the ante to get the Bengals to budge.

I just dont see him wanting to return and not test the open market and go to a team that will contend and give him an opportunity to get a ring. 

Those discussions will take place after the deadline. If he wants to stay, we'll offer him an extension. If he doesn't intend on staying, a trade should obviously be considered. I'm worried about another Whitworth situation unfolding, where we offer him a contract but he receives a better one on the open market and jets. We'd receive a 3rd round comp but that's a terrible consolation prize considering we could possibly get a first or second round pick before the deadline.

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

AJ is humble and loyal to the team. He wants the franchise to do well. He's not the type of player to abandon ship, even if it might be sinking. 

For leverage. If we put up a "Not for Sale" sign, teams are really going to have to up the ante to get the Bengals to budge.

Those discussions will take place after the deadline. If he wants to stay, we'll offer him an extension. If he doesn't intend on staying, a trade should obviously be considered. I'm worried about another Whitworth situation unfolding, where we offer him a contract but he receives a better one on the open market and jets. We'd receive a 3rd round comp but that's a terrible consolation prize considering we could possibly get a first or second round pick before the deadline.

I would think that is a more deterred comment, saying dont bother because hes not for sale? Not saying anything would probably have been perfectly fine.  I could think of at least 5 teams who would be putting in a bid for him: Niners, Bills, Seahawks, Saints, and Pats. So that should raise the ante alone. I agree with your 1st quote which is why those 5 teams would be quick to put in a phone call if they havent already because of how great a person he is and not a whack job like some WR, just surprised that the coach would say he is not for sale rather then being more vague about it. Then again the bills said Shady wasnt going anywhere and they ended cutting him so I guess my ignorance of believing what these organizations say mean something. 

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

I would think that is a more deterred comment, saying dont bother because hes not for sale?

All a GM has to do is make a phone call and ask.

"What will it take to land AJ?"

"We aren't looking to move him. Sorry"

"So we've heard, but we're willing to offer you X."

Nearly everybody in this league can be had for a price (aside from the obvious QBs). The issue is I don't think any GM in this league will meet the demands of our FO. The price will be much higher than his current market value.

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

All a GM has to do is make a phone call and ask.

"What will it take to land AJ?"

"We aren't looking to move him. Sorry"

"So we've heard, but we're willing to offer you X."

Nearly everybody in this league can be had for a price (aside from the obvious QBs). The issue is I don't think any GM in this league will meet the demands of our FO. The price will be much higher than his current market value.

True, anything is possible. Maybe its the fan desperation in me but I think if hes 100% good to go I would be willing to offer a 2nd rd pick and future compensatory pick for him in a heartbeat if thats what it would take to get him to Buffalo.

5 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

True, anything is possible. Maybe its the fan desperation in me but I think if hes 100% good to go I would be willing to offer a 2nd rd pick and future compensatory pick for him in a heartbeat if thats what it would take to get him to Buffalo.

And I think for that price, depending on the comp pick, we'd decline. Personally, I'd rather 2-3 years more of AJ Green playing at a high level with a young QB before taking that offer. I think the negotiations start with a first; that's enough to at least get your foot in the door. I doubt they field offers for any less, but who knows with this franchise.

Edited by SmittyBacall

25 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

And I think for that price, depending on the comp pick, we'd decline. Personally, I'd rather 2-3 years more of AJ Green playing at a high level with a young QB before taking that offer. I think the negotiations start with a first; that's enough to at least get your foot in the door. I doubt they field offers for any less, but who knows with this franchise.

2-3 years? Hes a free agent after this year. Hes a good guy but I do not see him sticking it out in Cincy they are in rebuild, if he had already been to a super bowl or deep in to the playoffs it would be a different story, but they havent. I can see him quickly bailing for a contender just to experience a potential dive in to the playoffs. I would be shocked a team giving up a 1st let alone more then that for a guy who is going on 32 years old, injury history the last 3-4 years and knowing they can get him for free after the season. We will see though.

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

2-3 years? Hes a free agent after this year. Hes a good guy but I do not see him sticking it out in Cincy they are in rebuild, if he had already been to a super bowl or deep in to the playoffs it would be a different story, but they havent. I can see him quickly bailing for a contender just to experience a potential dive in to the playoffs. I would be shocked a team giving up a 1st let alone more then that for a guy who is going on 32 years old, injury history the last 3-4 years and knowing they can get him for free after the season. We will see though.

A.J. Green is in a contract year in this, his ninth season with the Cincinnati Bengals, and the receiver is unmoved in his desire to stay in the Queen City for as long as possible.

"Cincinnati is home for me," Green told reporters Friday at his youth football camp, per Fox 19. "This is home as much as South Carolina. All I know is Cincinnati.

"I can't see myself playing anywhere else or playing in a different city. Hopefully I can be here for a couple more years. We'll see on that part."

If we offer him what he deserves, he won't be going anywhere for awhile. 

Edited by SmittyBacall

And that's why he's worth m,ore to us than anything you get in a trade.  If we get a late first only, how is that really helping?  You can say we'd take player x at position y, but we'd also have to spend draft capitol to replace him.  Green might still have 4-5 years in him.  Better in stripes than anywhere else.  And that's exactly hoe Mike Brown thinks

23 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

All of these questions were just addressed over the last 2 pages or so. 

Cincinnati wants to, and thinks they can, resign him. They aren't going to trade him. 

After these quotes:

“I’d just like to stay here,” Green said. “They value me. Nobody is going to value you as much as the place you got drafted at. It’s home.”

Green, who has an $11.976 million base salary this season, is the 11th-highest paid receiver with a $15 million annual average on his deal. But he has made $77.7 million in his career, per overthecap.com.

He insists the value of his next deal is less important than staying in Cincinnati.

“It’s not about the money,” Green said, via Ben Baby of ESPN. “Got enough money. I just want to make sure I’m healthy, and then everything else will take care of itself.”

No way I trade him.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:05 PM, theJ said:
On 10/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, Hockey5djh said:

Green is an elite talent on an expiring contact. That said I'd temper your expectations of a first considering he'll be MAYBE a week or two off of injury and teams want to know what they'll be getting for the remainder of the season to make a move this season instead of just looking his was in the offseason.

Don't take this as a personal shot at you, but i feel it needs to be worded this way:

I think you need to temper your expectations that the Bengals even think about moving AJ Green for less than a 1st round pick+.  Yes, a first, and more.

I get that he's coming off an injury, but if a team isn't willing to send over some serious compensation for a proven player, hurt or not, then he's not going to be available.  The fact that he's hurt is not a problem for the Bengals on the trade market (it is on the field, but that's a different matter) - it's the other team's problem.  The Bengals are perfectly content franchising him next year and using him to help usher in the rebuild.

Sorry again for the harsh wording, but people are acting like the Bengals are desperate to unload the guy.  They're not.  They want to keep him.

Nothing taken wrong here.

Maybe I came off as too harsh as well. I understand you're not actively trying to "get rid of players" but the fact that he's hurt is absolutely a factor in any trade in season and would garner you less in a deal than you think he would be worth.

While I understand the Bengals are more than content to keep him/resign him I'm referencing the same point that I made with William Jackson, the point of a trade is to try and get better pieces back for a rebuild. If trading a guy who will be 32 before the season starts and hasn't played a full season in 3 of the last 4 years and will expect a large contract at the end of the season can get you younger/cheaper/more pieces towards a rebuild you have to consider it. If you aren't able to get pieces back you think will be worth it then you stay the course.