Jump to content
RaidersAreOne

Rams LB Clay Matthews breaks jaw; out at least a month

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

To be fair to the refs, it does seem way more likely he led with his head/helmet than with the shoulder there, doesn't it?

(I mean, the Rams make the FG, it's a moot point, but just saying...)

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw him all pissed off after the RTP penalty, next thing I knew he was leaving the field. 

I honestly thought he was just done with the NFL after that call

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a big loss. He’s amongst the top in sacks this season. 

It’s gonna be hard to replace his rushing ability 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair to the refs, it does seem way more likely he led with his head/helmet than with the shoulder there, doesn't it?

(I mean, the Rams make the FG, it's a moot point, but just saying...)

My issue with it was it seemed like the called it after the sideline plead for it. The ref with the best view didn't call for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

My issue with it was it seemed like the called it after the sideline plead for it. The ref with the best view didn't call for it. 

To be 100% fair though, in today's NFL you don't just shoulder hit a QB like that, you push him down. Almost everyone else has adjusted to it, you'd think a guy who has notoriously been flagged for RTP would as well. There was no reason for him to lower his helmet/head like that for that hit. I still think it was a bad call, but in today's NFL, referees are going to call that consistently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

To be 100% fair though, in today's NFL you don't just shoulder hit a QB like that, you push him down. Almost everyone else has adjusted to it, you'd think a guy who has notoriously been flagged for RTP would as well. There was no reason for him to lower his helmet/head like that for that hit. I still think it was a bad call, but in today's NFL, referees are going to call that consistently.

To be fair, it was a bad call on a legal hit. I get that if it's close the refs are going to call it occasionally but we shouldn't excuse poor officiating because a player could have done something else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

That’s a big loss. He’s amongst the top in sacks this season. 

It’s gonna be hard to replace his rushing ability 

Obo time! Frankly, I think we miss him more in run D. A lot of his sacks were manufactured or coverage sacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

To be fair, it was a bad call on a legal hit. I get that if it's close the refs are going to call it occasionally but we shouldn't excuse poor officiating because a player could have done something else. 

To be super fair, the dude has a broken jaw which - really - isn't fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Obo time! Frankly, I think we miss him more in run D. A lot of his sacks were manufactured or coverage sacks.

I hope OBO fits his hype and can stay healthy 

And you’re def right on Clay. He had coverage sacks and also because Donald is being doubled/tripled team. 

But at least he was getting the sacks. He already doubled his last years total 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FinSting said:

Injured his jaw while protesting the crap RTP penalty?

Per McVay, it was broken when he was kicked in the jaw by Chris Carson on a tackle near the end of the game.  Grain of salt and all, and I doubt it was intentional by Carson (at least I hope it wasn't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×