The good, the bad, the ugly vs. Chi Town (Postgame thread)

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

What'd they say?  Anybody know?

You know what I noticed early in the first quarter.  Chicago's D line with their hands on their hips breathing hard.  I was sure it was the effect of jet lag.  I expected it to continue during the game.  I didn't watch for it and it didn't appear obvious after that.  I need to rewatch this game.

I checked to see what teams have the best defense.  Chicago is third.  Our O line did a fair job.  

If there are dirty players in the NFL it's a bad thing unless they're on our team.  You know, I'm a devout homer.

Foster Moreau is the real deal. He and Waller will play big roles in our offense. Think like a poor mans Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.

Madd Maxx is going to be a difference maker. I think he will flash this year but it will come together for him next year. I have fallen off Key as he looks like he hasn't improved at all. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

If there are dirty players in the NFL it's a bad thing unless they're on our team.  You know, I'm a devout homer.

I like the 'tude' it's brought. Ritchie was being excatly what we knew he was. He's a nasty tude who gets a little dirty in the trenches thinking he'll get away with it. The whole oline today looked like they had tude and wanted pancakes for breakfast.

Burfict hits hard and takes it a bit far but that competition must have done something to Morrow. He was a beast today and looked inspired. 

So even if the nasty guys get flags,ejected, suspended, I think the cost (yards and $$$) is worth it.Guys were flying around and hitting and not worried about yellow because of their names. LOL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Madd Maxx is going to be a difference maker. I think he will flash this year but it will come together for him next year. I have fallen off Key as he looks like he hasn't improved at all. 

I like Maxx too and I'm hoping he can be at least a rotational spark plug off the bench. Starter would be great. Key, I'm not done with yet. But if he doesn't improve the rest of the year then I am. Hoping Cle can become a Tuck kind of player. Thats the ideal guy I've had in mind for him since I accepted he isn't a sack artist type. Shouts to @MrOaktown_56 for saying the same

• Like 1

Wow, what a great game!

The Good:
Fighting through adversity when we could have folded and pulling out a great win
Derek Carr - dragging the team by whatever means necessary on that last 93 yd drive, far from perfect tonight but was clutch yet again when needed
Our OL manhandling the toughest D in football - credit to the much maligned Tom Cable too
Playcalling, particularly the first half - we adapted and worked around what has to be the weakest WR core I've ever seen
Paul Guenther scheming pass rush out of our D, some great stunts and blitzes, particularly the timing
Really brave fake punt, gutsy call well executed
We did a great job scheming against Mack, rolling carr away from him, using play action and so on, really good to see
Josh Jacobs as other have said here looks like the real deal, great contact balance and vision and a tough runner to boot
1st half performance, keeping ahead of the chains whilst keeping the Bears behind them, beautiful to watch - like watching a game from 1987 :)

The Bad:
That 3rd quarter was just tough, some bad mistakes, some terrible calls, some bad luck
Our coverage just not quite where it should be
We don't have a legitimate pass rusher on the roster at all, thank goodness Guenther was able to scheme some pass rush
Shooting ourselves in the foot - it's not just the penalties but the timing and the timing of dropped passes and fumbles and so on

The Ugly:
Miscommunication on the Jacobs/Carr toss, at such a crucial time too
Horrible penalty call on the Worley Interception - this roughing the passer rule and implementation must be looked at before it makes the NFL a laughing stock

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

Some on this forum rag on Cable.  I must be unaware of the reasons or negative stats.  Cable was the O line coach for the USFL LA Express.  I had season tickets.  We had some good players including a great O line.  He received cudos in that role as an O line coach and if I'm correct, and I may not be, he parlayed that to the head coaching job with the Express.  Is he doing that poor of a job for the Raiders?  Looked good today considering who we were up against.

2 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

Some on this forum rag on Cable.  I must be unaware of the reasons or negative stats.  Cable was the O line coach for the USFL LA Express.  I had season tickets.  We had some good players including a great O line.  He received cudos in that role as an O line coach and if I'm correct, and I may not be, he parlayed that to the head coaching job with the Express.  Is he doing that poor of a job for the Raiders?  Looked good today considering who we were up against.

Cable's line having a solid year so far, but lets not pretend his lines haven't  been some of the worst in the NFL over his career.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S&B Bleeder said:

His NFL and College track record when it comes to pass protection is pretty disturbing. 23rd or worse over like 18 seasons combined with his average NFL rank about 28. He is a good run blocking coach though. 

And he is stacked at talent with the line this year. 

Absolutely still not sold on Cable. I’d still prefer him gone at the year but warming up to him. 

This might have been one of Derek’s most impressive victories. Playing the best defense in the nfl, hostile environment and he controlled the game. Moved the ball and for the win.... all this without our original top 4 wideouts (AB, Williams, JJ, Grant)..... great game Derek, the more modern the plays and game gets, still always comes down to the trenches. Almost every QB and defense will struggle if they are always getting beat up in the trenches. 

• Like 1

Re: Cable - the OL has been good this year, but when you look at the talent on it, that might explain why.

Jackson (I know he’s missed time), Hudson and Brown are all Pro Bowl calibre talent, and Incognito is pretty good as well when he’s not wanting to kill people. In the running game, it’s a very big, strong and powerful group.

I’m not knocking Cable, but at this point he’s basically getting decent success out of a group he should be getting success from. Which is fine. He’s still not the answer as OL coach, but if the players play well for a few years and keep him in a job then that’s cool.