Future Outlook

Chargers

58 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Really wish we would have gotten to see what a John Butler regime would have looked like long term.  AJ was good at hitting on the late rounders (Michael Turner, Darren Sproles, Shaun Phillips, Shane Olivea, Malcom Floyd all come to mind).  In the early rounds it almost felt like he was trying to prove he was smarter than everyone with some of the picks (Craig Davis was a third round prospect, and English was a second round prospect and who can ever forget Jonas effing Mouton in the 2nd).  

Butler's problem was that he was horrible at managing the cap. Biggest hits were LT, Brees, and Jammer draft wise. Which all things considering was not bad for two drafts. Probably a better people person than AJ though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to point out how disappointing it is that the front office hasn’t made one move to improve this team.  We get injuries and the only answer is to look to rookies and the practice squad.  Hats off to organizations like the Steelers that even though they won’t compete for a Super Bowl this year, had the foresight to grab a player like Minkah Fitzpatrick when he became available.  Year in and year out we sit on our hands. No creativity whatsoever. How long has it been since we entered the draft with more than our allotted 7 or fewer picks?  Really starting to question Telesco’s ability as a GM more and more as these seasons go by

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m convinced this is Rivers last year as a Charger. There seems to be some friction between him and Lynn.  I think Lynn wants a more mobile QB that can move the pocket and create if things break down.  Not sure if Rivers will retire but I think this has ran its course.  Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we kicked the tires on Cam Newton if the Panthers go in a different direction after this year

4 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I’m convinced this is Rivers last year as a Charger. There seems to be some friction between him and Lynn.  I think Lynn wants a more mobile QB that can move the pocket and create if things break down.  Not sure if Rivers will retire but I think this has ran its course.  Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we kicked the tires on Cam Newton if the Panthers go in a different direction after this year

I know it was probably just an off night, but man did he suck tonight. Ate tons of sacks, threw some horrible picks, could/should have been picked off 2 more times, etc.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I know it was probably just an off night, but man did he suck tonight. Ate tons of sacks, threw some horrible picks, could/should have been picked off 2 more times, etc.

That two minute “drive” at the end of the game was the most abysmal thing I think I’ve seen.  1:02 with three timeouts and you’re chucking hail mary’s? Unreal. All we needed was @45 yards, check downs, middle of the field, runs, all that is still in play. The o line sucks, but so does most of the league, get rid of the ball. No matter how you cut it, that was squarely on Rivers. The first pick was awful, the second it looked like the receiver fell down. Maybe I’m over reacting to a season ending loss, but like I said, I think this has ran its course with the Rivers. 

17 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about this possibly being Rivers last year. It would t surprise me. He has played out his contract and can walk away to spend more time with his kids. We won’t be kicking the tires on Can. Lynn already has his QBOTF in Tyrod. He has success with him in Buffalo and I am sure is counting the days until Tyrod can start without eating significant backlash. It’s going to get so much worse. Rivers had a bad game, it happens. He’s past the age where he is carrying a team to wins. That last drive was an aberration but never should have even occurred. The defense failed when the game was on the line too. It’s a total team loss. 

On 11/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Boltstrikes said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about this possibly being Rivers last year. It would t surprise me. He has played out his contract and can walk away to spend more time with his kids. We won’t be kicking the tires on Can. Lynn already has his QBOTF in Tyrod. He has success with him in Buffalo and I am sure is counting the days until Tyrod can start without eating significant backlash. It’s going to get so much worse. Rivers had a bad game, it happens. He’s past the age where he is carrying a team to wins. That last drive was an aberration but never should have even occurred. The defense failed when the game was on the line too. It’s a total team loss. 

I agree there’s other factors in the loss but the defense basically gave up 16 points, I’m not gonna put too much blame on them. It’s more than that though, what about Denver,  Detroit and Pittsburgh?  I really hate doing this because it comes off as I’m bashing Rivers and I’ve actually been a fan and he’s one of my all time favorite Chargers.  I just think it’s time to turn the page, that’s all

I just think that its a case of "The grass is always greener" when it comes to talking about getting a new QB. A lot of the people who say that, not directed at you BoltsFan937, were never around before we had a HoF caliber QB or followed a team that has never found that true franchise QB. Everyone screams "you need a mobile QB in today's NFL" yet show me how many have Super Bowl rings. I'm not saying that they can't be exciting to watch sometimes but the problem with a truly mobile QB is they end up taking too many hits then eventually get hurt. That is another thing people will end up missing about Rivers, the fact that for the last 14 years there was never a doubt as to who was going to walk out on the field at QB. 

I'll admit that I am biased. Rivers is the only reason I am a Chargers fan. I am a big NC State fan and got big into football when he was a freshmen. I also know that its nearing the end but I still think he is better than most QBs in the league today. 

Even looking at the Raiders game, people forget that he drove down to take the lead with 4 minutes to go. All the defense had to do was get 1 stop, yet the Raiders drove 75 yards in 3 minutes and only had 1 3rd down which is when they scored. 

I know Rivers gets a lot of blame for 4th qtr losses but I'd be curious to see how many games the Chargers have had the lead with 4 minutes left only to let the other team score and lose. I've watched a lot of games and unfortunately I think that number is pretty high. 

• 1 month later...