Pack at Dallas Post Game: Four and One

mikebpackfan

Just now, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

The so called direct snap to Jones actually worked to the Packers favor as it shaved time off for Jones to hit the opening before it closed. Maybe they could add a direct snap play once in a awhile to keep the defense guessing.

Lets not and say we do till Linsley comes back.

Nice win fellas. Dont take this as a Cowboys fan, take this as a football coach: I think our teams are closer than we played. You guys crushed us 1st half. We couldnt get out of our own way. We crushed it towards the end, but you guys were banged up and maybe letting off the gas. 

I dont think either is an accurate representation of our teams. But I know this:

1. Our games always keep me on the edge of my chair.

2. No matter how ish the refs where, you guys 100% deserved that win. Anyone who says different is wrong. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nice win fellas. Dont take this as a Cowboys fan, take this as a football coach: I think our teams are closer than we played. You guys crushed us 1st half. We couldnt get out of our own way. We crushed it towards the end, but you guys were banged up and maybe letting off the gas. 

I dont think either is an accurate representation of our teams. But I know this:

1. Our games always keep me on the edge of my chair.

2. No matter how ish the refs where, you guys 100% deserved that win. Anyone who says different is wrong. 

Thanks. Yeah, the refs were not great, but they did not have a big impact on the outcome. I thought the Cowboys would run the ball straight down our throats, and I was pleasantly surprised that they chose not to do that. Dak Prescott had a very bad game, and the Packers fully exploited the weakness at OT due to injury. We can't expect those things to happen again if we meet the Cowboys in the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I've already come to the conclusion Jackson is a bust as a CB. I had him rated as such after watching him at the Combine.

We'll either play him at S which is his true pro position, or he'll be cut next off-season cause Brown is better than him and Holloman will be next year.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think it's fair to say any player is a bust at a position they've played for such a short time.  People take big steps all the time, and you never can tell who'll really take to the learning and sand the edges off.  

That being said, I do think Jackson had a long way to go at CB.  He's not particularly quick and he thinks too much, and that's a bad combo.  He's constantly chasing his guy because he can't make up for his mistakes and his technique just isn't very good when it needs to be excellent.  He's clearly a smart guy, he can find the ball in the air and he has legitimate ball skills when it gets there.  Also, I at least have the impression that he has pretty smooth hips even if he's not very explosive; I don't know if that's just something my brain is making up though so I'm not standing on it.  But I think he has some of the things that can make an excellent CB, but he's just not making the strides he needs to in the other areas.  I held out hope he'd look to have taken that step as a CB, and even before he got banged up it didn't sound like he had.  

However, given I agree with you a move to S is probably necessary for his career, it's interesting to think Savage getting hurt could potentially be a pivot point in his career.  He'll likely get a couple of games here as the starting FS to try and show some kind of spark.  If he has a positive performance or two, that should push him into the safety group permanently where he could easily have a home as the 3rd S/dimeback/SS if we insist on playing more 5-1-5 with 3 safeties.  

Edited by MrBobGray

53 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't think it's fair to say any player is a bust at a position they've played for such a short time.  People take big steps all the time, and you never can tell who'll really take to the learning and sand the edges off.  

That being said, I do think Jackson had a long way to go at CB.  He's not particularly quick and he thinks too much, and that's a bad combo.  He's constantly chasing his guy because he can't make up for his mistakes and his technique just isn't very good when it needs to be excellent.  He's clearly a smart guy, he can find the ball in the air and he has legitimate ball skills when it gets there.  Also, I at least have the impression that he has pretty smooth hips even if he's not very explosive; I don't know if that's just something my brain is making up though so I'm not standing on it.  But I think he has some of the things that can make an excellent CB, but he's just not making the strides he needs to in the other areas.  I held out hope he'd look to have taken that step as a CB, and even before he got banged up it didn't sound like he had.  

However, given I agree with you a move to S is probably necessary for his career, it's interesting to think Savage getting hurt could potentially be a pivot point in his career.  He'll likely get a couple of games here as the starting FS to try and show some kind of spark.  If he has a positive performance or two, that should push him into the safety group permanently where he could easily have a home as the 3rd S/dimeback/SS if we insist on playing more 5-1-5 with 3 safeties.  

We're in Year 2.  If Josh Jackson hasn't managed to turn the corner, it's not likely he will.

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Creeeeepy

Yeah that picture freaks me out. Dak looks like some sort of Lord of the Rings species, Jerry looks like Voldemort's final horcrux, and Zeke actually looks like a child but with facial hair.....

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're in Year 2.  If Josh Jackson hasn't managed to turn the corner, it's not likely he will.

Typically yes.
However, he had a very abbreviated college career ( only 21 games at DB) He also missed time to injury in 2018 and again this summer. He missed a chunk of TC which is when the coaches have time to work on technique. So he's sort of still in year 1 on the development side. I still have some hope for the guy
With the injuries to King/Brown/Greene, Savage; opportunity is knocking

10 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Thanks. Yeah, the refs were not great, but they did not have a big impact on the outcome. I thought the Cowboys would run the ball straight down our throats, and I was pleasantly surprised that they chose not to do that. Dak Prescott had a very bad game, and the Packers fully exploited the weakness at OT due to injury. We can't expect those things to happen again if we meet the Cowboys in the playoffs. 

Fortunately for us we got some turnovers, built up a good lead and forced the 'boys to abandon the run and throw it to get back in the game.  That Cooper is scary good.

10 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Have I ever told you guys the story of when I was playing center and our QB mistakenly lined up "Under Guard",?

I think I saw a clip of that very situation on one of those football bloopers shows on the NFL Network years ago.  lol