Desean Jackson - Do you consider him an all-time great? Should he make the HOF?

Dome

Discussion points:

42nd in Career Rec Yard

102nd in Career Rec TD

• Since he entered the NFL in 2008, Jackson has 42 catches of at least 50 yards. 16 more than anybody else.
  • Jackson has 31 career 50-plus yard touchdowns, which ranks second in NFL history and is only five short of Jerry Rice (36).
  • He now has 37 career games with 100-plus receiving yards, which ranks fourth among active NFL players, trailing Larry Fitzgerald (53), Julio Jones (49) and Antonio Brown (42).
  • Jackson recorded his sixth-career opening day game with 100-plus receiving yards, which is tied with Michael Irvin for the most such performances in NFL history.
  • is 17.4 yards per catch is the highest in the NFL over the last 30 years and has the most 60-plus yard touchdown catches in NFL history (24), ahead of Rice (23).
  • He's one of just six wide receivers with 10,000 yards and a 17.0 yards per catch average, with the others on the list being Hall of Famers. 
  • Jackson has led the NFL in yards per reception four times in his career: 2018 (18.9), 2016 (17.9), 2014 (20.9), 2010 (22.5). The only player in NFL history to do so

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/desean-jackson-strengthens-hall-of-fame-case-by-moving-up-the-record-books-in-week-1-return-to-the-eagles/

source.gif

Definitely not. 

I think that CBS is making a case based on some highly arbitrary data points. Most opening day 100 yard games? Really? The yards per reception is obviously incredible, but is that more valuable than making more receptions underneath? He was one of the best at the long ball, I'll give him that, but I don't know that it was more important than what Chad Johnson did, for example. 100 yard games and 50 yard touchdowns? I don't know...I'm not sure why that is something that validates his enshrinement more. What about the games where he didn't have those things? There are a lot of no shows in Jackson's history. 

Similar comps without the yard per catch include Chad Johnson, Keyshawn, Gary Clark. Probably Roddy White as well. If you want something that brackets the yard per catch, I would provide Stanley Morgan as a comparable. Jackson does have fewer games played than all of these guys, so there is some room for upside, but I don't think the difference in games played (White has 16 more with 400 more yards, 200 more receptions, similar touchdown total, Clark had 12 more games with 100 more receptions, 400 more yards, similar total touchdowns in a less passer friendly era, while Keyshawn and Ocho had 12 and 11 games more respectively, with pretty similar numbers). 

He has only 3 pro bowls, one second team all pro, I believe, and his bulk numbers aren't in the stratosphere where they will justify him getting in on that basis (as they may do with Frank Gore). 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely not. 

I think that CBS is making a case based on some highly arbitrary data points. Most opening day 100 yard games? Really? The yards per reception is obviously incredible, but is that more valuable than making more receptions underneath? He was one of the best at the long ball, I'll give him that, but I don't know that it was more important than what Chad Johnson did, for example. 100 yard games and 50 yard touchdowns? I don't know...I'm not sure why that is something that validates his enshrinement more. What about the games where he didn't have those things? There are a lot of no shows in Jackson's history. 

Similar comps without the yard per catch include Chad Johnson, Keyshawn, Gary Clark. Probably Roddy White as well. If you want something that brackets the yard per catch, I would provide Stanley Morgan as a comparable. Jackson does have fewer games played than all of these guys, so there is some room for upside, but I don't think the difference in games played (White has 16 more with 400 more yards, 200 more receptions, similar touchdown total, Clark had 12 more games with 100 more receptions, 400 more yards, similar total touchdowns in a less passer friendly era, while Keyshawn and Ocho had 12 and 11 games more respectively, with pretty similar numbers). 

He has only 3 pro bowls, one second team all pro, I believe, and his bulk numbers aren't in the stratosphere where they will justify him getting in on that basis (as they may do with Frank Gore). 

and that was only as a return man FWIW

I mean, there are just way too many superior WRs yet to be enshrined to seriously consider DJax. Hall of very good for the fact that he was/is so special on deep balls.

Perhaps if he had all time numbers in the playoffs in addition to some of the key points above I think we could consider his resume. But he doesn’t have that. Like others above have said, no way should he get in above guys like Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Roddy White, etc... let alone Isaac Bruce, Torrey Holt, Andre Johnson, and Megatron.

Edited by diamondbull424

He needs two things in order to have a chance.

He'd need to pass Jerry Rice to be #1 all time in 50+ yard TDs (Best deep threat of all time)
He'd need to win a Super Bowl (I will plead the fifth on this one)

If both of those happen, he has a tiny tiny tiny chance.