Sugashane's Bully Offseason

Sugashane

This is my offseason, technically 2019 week 6 then skipping to offseason, and NOT what I expect Pace to do.

EDIT - I also did not have Floyd signed with the 5th year option. I chose to let the year play out and take the compensatory pick that is likely to come. 

Back to the mock-

After Hicks was injured something was exposed about our DL (and already had been about our OL). They’re Charmin soft. Goldman is a man out there but only holds down one spot. We have playmakers all around but the ILB are small and fast athletes, they rely on being kept clean and we didn’t have the guys to do that today. Our DBs are coverage guys who are more suited to cleaning up on tackles than making them individually. When Hicks went down there was a noticeable lack of edge to the defense, the defense seemed to realize how big of a loss that was and took a while to get back into the normal groove. That can’t happen with THIS much talent.

Our OL is playing horrible football. I want to see Long cut and Bars brought up. Leno has been just as crappy and really the unit has underachieved enough that Hiestand should be fired immediately. They have regressed to the RG/RT getting beat by routine twists or by them simply crossing their face inside. Leno is getting beat inside, outside, and even beats himself before the snap. It is pathetic. The OL is unable to open anything for Montgomery and like we saw with Howard a LOT last year he is being hit at or behind the LOS at an embarrassingly frequency. Their lack of toughness and tenacity is costing the Bears right now.

Now onto the coaching. Nagy is a good HC, but he isn’t near as creative as he was expected to be as a playcaller. His playcalling has sucked with regularity so it is time to simplify things. ‘Be You’ can still be his motto, but he needs another one to follow it. ‘Keep It Simple Stupid.’ And that is done by infusing talent at QB, and building bullies on both sides of the LOS. Nagy can’t out-scheme opposing DCs with regularity, and the offensive “system” is nonexistent. The offense lacks an identity, so it is time to install one. I want the offense to have the killer instinct that it has lacked for years. When Long and Mills came in that year the OL became mean and powerful. The offense lacked skill players but that OL would beat the hell out of you and bury you in the dirt EVERY chance they got. I want that back. I want to see the opposing OL and DL quiet, having their heads down and waiting for the clock to go off. I want to step on the other team’s throats.

"So what is our goal in life?"

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their fans!"maxresdefault.jpg

2020 Cap – $14.07 mil available

Cuts/Trades

Cut Mike Davis – Saved $3 million (done immediately), and gained a 4th round compensatory pick ($17.07 mil left)

-          He isn’t being used, he isn’t producing in the limited reps. Realistically he is the 4th best RB (counting Patterson as well) on this team. I hold no ill will towards him but the 4th round pick is more valuable than he is to this team.

Cut Kyle Long – saved $8.1 mil ($25.17 mil left)

-          Bye, thanks for the great play over the years, but he should be competing to be the reserve OG somewhere, he is done and should retire to not further tarnish his career.

Cut Prince Amukamara – saved $8 mil ($33.17 mil left)

-          Prince isn’t playing poorly, but there is young talent that needs re-signed. Simply the name of the game, if he would take a big pay cut I’d be happy to have him here but otherwise let him pursue employment wherever he wants.

Trade Trey Burton for 4th round pick– saved $8.55 million ($41.72 mil left)

-          A talented player but is soft and is not showing to be reliable. He is getting paid WAY too much money for 30 and 20 yard games to be had. Maybe he gets into a real system and gets to revitalize his career, but early 2018 Burton is not showing up any more.

Trades Charles Leno for 4th round pick – saved $10.29 mil ($52.01 mil left)

-          Leno was a damn solid LT for the last 2 years, and someone will be willing to take the contract for the possible talent. Usually I would laugh at trading a starting LT for so little but he has fallen off in technique, effort, seems to mentally have checked out, and he is simply too SOFT to be an OL here. There may be more available but this is with the other team taking on his full 2020 salary, so no dead cap for the Bears to take on after that contractual agreement.

Cap space - $52.01 million

Extensions – first year shown in breakdown is 2020 (may change dramatically due to new deal)

FS – Eddie Jackson – 6 years, $85 mil, $50 mil guaranteed – based on Landon Collins – adjusts 2020 (6/10/11/13/13/15/17) ($47.01 left)

Jackson hasn't provided the same amount of splash plays but it seems QBs are far more tentative throwing near him. He is impacting the game and with a tougher DL there will be more 3rd and longs to allow him to shine.

WR – Allen Robinson 5 years, $77 mil, $38 mil guaranteed – based Jarvis Landry (13/14/14/15/17/19) ($49.01 left)

The only real threat week in and week out, the man deserves to be paid and locked down long term. He needs a running mate, hopefully the 2nd half Anthony Miller keeps showing up and becomes that guy, or someone else will. He needs help.

HB/WR – Tarik Cohen – 5 years, $35 mil, $18 mil guaranteed – based on Lamar Miller – adjust 2020 (4/5/5/6.5/7/8.5) ($46.01 left)

Right now he is more WR than HB but getting him in the backfield is something I want to see more often. He is in the backfield so he can get more time before being contacted than when he is in the slot, and makes LBs pursue him more than getting a CB as well. This plays out really well as he should be destroying guys with in/out option routes for 5-8 yards a pop. He can still be split wide and Montgomery is still the primary RB, but Cohen offers an explosiveness that the offense needs.

Re-sign

ILB – Danny Trevathan – 2 years, $14 mil, $8 mil guaranteed (7/7) ($39.01 left)

S – Haha Clinton-Dix – 3 years, $24 mil, $14 mil guaranteed (6/8/10) ($33.01 left)

DL – Roy Robertson-Harris – 3 years, $18 mil, $10 mil guaranteed (5/6/7) ($28.01 left)

OLB – Aaron Lynch - 1 year, $1.5 mil ($26.51 left)

OG – Rashaad Coward – 2 years, $2.5 mil ($25.26 left)

DL – Nick Williams – 1 year, $1 mil ($24.26 left)

QB – Tyler Bray – 1 year, $1 mil *would be cut in final cuts, just there to help new players with the system* Won’t make the final 53

LS – Patrick Scales – 3 years, $2.7 mil, $1.5 mil guaranteed (.9/.9/.9) ($23.36 left)

Cap space - $23.36 million

Free Agency –

CB – Trae Waynes – 3 years, $20 mil, $9.5 mil guaranteed (6/6/8) ($17.36 left)

ows_152510395663416.jpg?auto=compress&cr

I'm not crazy about him but he is a premier athlete who can step in as the #2 opposite of Fuller. Most of his trouble seems to be when he is covering for too long, and that shouldn't happen with this defense nearly as much. Plus with Jackson and Haha over the top he can really try to us his elite athleticism to make plays. He is the most cost-efficient talent available for this cost. This also buys some time in finding and grooming a replacement since we will finally have draft picks in every round again. 

TE – Vernon Davis – 1 year, $3.5 mil ($13.86 left)

r0171466013370.jpg

The old man still has some gas in the tank, and he wants to win a ring. He is a willing blocker and strong enough to really set an edge for the RB to get around. Can still get open for some passes too, but not an elite threat to stretch the field vertically. Shaheen hasn't been near consistently good at anything to warrant comfort in knowing he can lock down anything.

EDGE – Vic Beasley – 1 year, $7 mil ($6.86 mil left)

vic_beasley_02272019.jpg?LbHHJZZ6n4cSfeO

Beasley looked like he was going to grow into an elite EDGE at one point, but as teams adjusted to him he couldn't beat them. Now with Mack and  Beasley there will be enough speed to threaten the edge, and this allows Beasley the chance to do what Haha is doing - take a bit less now to make substantially more later. This allows a speed rusher to compliment Mack's power, and he may get a number of clean up sacks due to Mack and Hicks getting the QB out of the pocket and he just cleans up.

Draft

2 – *** Bears trade this pick and a 2019 5th to whoever has pick 1(31). ***

Pick QB Jalen Hurts - Oklahoma, 6'2", 216lbsjalen-hurts-oklahoma-throwing-debut.jpg

-          Trubisky is a talented athlete but is not developing like he should have. If he really thrives in the last half of the season I am happy to adjust accordingly, but right now he isn’t worth the massive deal he would want. I’d rather invest elsewhere, ride the defense, and let a rookie take over the QB position for cheap.
Hurts played at Alabama while they were a strongly pro-style offense, so he has done a lot of work on progressions and under center. Now that he has transferred he has been airing it out and making plays, while still protecting the ball. That is why I like him, he has enough arm to challenge each level but has the athleticism to open the game up as a passing and running option. He will hopefully be able to move the chains and progress as time goes on. I feel like Hurts has progressed under Lincoln and that will allow him to show he can be coached up as well.

-          I traded up to get a 5th year option at a much lower cost than what he would earn if he earned a second contract. When Tru leaves he still has a chance at getting a big deal that causes a compensatory pick for the Bears, as teams will likely note the Bears historical incompetence at the position.

2 – OT Mekhi Becton – Louisville, 6’7”, 365 lbs

1077043640-850x560.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

I want Trey Adams here but even with his injury history I think he gets snatched up in the top 30.

Becton is a mountain of a man similar to OAK’s (and former Florida Gator) David Sharpe and Orlando Brown. He isn’t an elite athlete but is powerful and a good enough athlete to be able to mirror. When a top passrusher is across from him just put the TE there to chip the EDGE inside a bit, and Becton’s power will swallow them up after that. He is not just fat, he is a powerful mammoth that will dig people out of the way to make lanes for Montgomery. He absolutely lacks refinement though from the little I have seen. But he looks like he has a LOT of force in those hands. Plays angry.

4(Burton trade) – OT/OG Yasir Durant – Missouri, 6’7”, 330 lbs5b999821d9ecb.image.jpg

Durant (#70) is an underrated OT who has the same powerful punches Becton has, and is lighter on his feet than you’d expect from someone his size. Anchors really well, so he will start at RG for a year so he can adjust to the NFL’s speed and gets more consistent with his own technique. He gave up less pressures than Taylor and Williams in this years draft during the 2018 season, but a lot of that was due to his brute strength rather than refined technique, which is why he is available here and not also a top 50 selection. When Massie moves on he can kick out to RT or be a monster on the interior line.

4 (Leno trade) – EDGE – Nick Coe – Auburn, 6’5”, 291 lbs8290828.JPG

Coe has played with his hand in the dirt, standing, and even drifted in coverage and didn’t look like a fish out of water (I’d assume NFL starting-caliber athletes could quickly change that). Floyd is making serious money this year, and he is too reliant on gimmick and stunts to be a long-term pillar for the defense. Coe is going to take his spot long-term, competing with Beasely for playing time and being a down lineman on obvious passing downs (Beasely standing with Mack). He will be able to outpower a lot of OTs with his brute strength and tenacity, but he is a bullrush-only guy at this time. With Pagano specializing with linebackers Coe has a chance to develop into something special while not being forced into a starting role early.

4 (comp) DT Tedarrell Slaton – Florida – 6’5”, 345 lbs1009163360-Fl_GAI_slaton.jpg

Hicks went down and there was no one to fill the void as a run stuffer. Goldman held his gaps for the most part but the DL was bullied around, and prevented the linebackers from making plays like they normally do. Slaton is not going to be bullied, and he will help keep the LBs clean. He will shock IOL with his punches and stand them up with regularity. He offers almost no rush in the passing game but can offer pressures by walking his man back some. If Hicks can develop I think Slaton could be one to follow under his wing and grow to be a bad man inside. If you are going heavy then having him next to Hicks and Goldman will net over 1,000 pounds of pissed off holding down the LOS.  

5 – TE - Mitchell Wilcox – South Florida, 6’5”, 245lbsFBvWIS_08302019_0719.jpg

Wilcox is a good route runner and receiver, he has a lot of experience in the slot and can do what Burton has done for much less. Really good breaking in and out of his route and makes difficult catches. He is a bulked up receiver though, as he will be able to use his size against S and CBs that line up on him, he isn’t an inline player at all. Davis will have to handle those duties while Wilcox adds 10 pounds or so to get functionally stronger. He is a willing blocker, just not strong enough to be an effective one vs LBs and DEs. Runs routes well enough and smoothly enough that he reminds me of Witten. Maybe he can develop into a standard TE but if not he can still excel while being split wide, and could be a plus runblocker out there too.

5- NT – Quinton Bohanna – Kentucky, 6’4”, 360lbs

636452084547548175-AP-17302190271607.jpg

He is a key cog in Kentucky’s defense, and with his role his numbers will never be worth a damn. That means he isn’t going to inflate his draft profile much with another year, so declaring now allows him to get paid earlier and just as well. His DC lauded him and called him “his security blanket” because he dominates the two gaps and allows him to be creative elsewhere since he can trust that to be done.  If Hicks or Goldman go down Slaton will be getting the immediate reps but Bohanna’s brute strength will make him earn PT sooner rather than later. With a goal line D adding him to Hicks, Goldman, and Slaton you’re dealing with a LOT of power to try and rush through. He also can be used on early downs to spare reps for Goldman so he doesn’t wear down as quickly and may stay healthier by the end of the season.

5-  *Traded away with first selection

6- OG Ben Cleveland – Georgia, 6’6”, 335lbsAR-190819455.jpg

For a 330+ OL he has a really trim build and is an absolute mauler. Country strong kid who isn’t athletic enough to play OT but is more than able to anchor down and dig people out of the running lanes. He has a lot of experience too, I would not be shocked to see him be able to play C as well, and with him and Bars both on the team they would both be getting reps at C to see who is the one backing up Daniels. Clevelend would be my favorite to step in at RG whenever Durant kicks over to RT though, sadly Coward might just never get a shot to start here. He might be destined to be a reserve swing OT or IOL.

6 – ILB -----------> FB/TE Marlon Davidson – Auburn. 6’3”, 280lbsIJJV33W5BNCUXHOBDQP2SAHYHA.jpg

Davidson is a Grown. Damn. Man. He is strong, violent, and has a nonstop motor. His lateral mobility is terrible for a stand up LB, so he would need to either put his hand on the dirt or be in a McPhee-rushing role to play defense. If he could get off-blocks he would be a potential day 2 pick, sadly he does not have more than a bullrush. But that isn’t why I draft him, I want to dominate defenses and Davidson has the first step to be the FB that we haven’t had in forever. 280 pounds of violent intentions will move people out of the way for Montgomery and Co. Line him up, tell the RB to run at his hip, and let him hurt people. Every pancake block he gets should have a Harley Davidson sound rev through Soldier Field.

7- QB – Sam Ehlinger or Khalil Tate - Texas and Arizona

gettyimages-1052072078-e1540231772591.jp1064896852.jpg.0.jpg

Ehlinger is someone who reminds me of Dak at Miss St. He is improving as a passer but is a runner more than a polished passed. Seems pretty robotic in that if he is off balance or rushed his accuracy goes to crap. But a plus athlete who is undoubtedly showing signs of improvement as a passer. Tate is more athletically like Hurt, and has played in a pro-style offense as well. He is a gifted athlete who can consistently produce, and has impressive measurables. Fast, strong arm, agile, etc. But he isn’t a polished passer and relies on his athletic gifts too much.  

Regardless, neither is set up to be the QB2 right now but that is the goal long term. Integrate them into the system, have Bray mentor him, and then put him as a project. The goal is to have someone with more upside than Chase Daniel and who can step in without the offense changing dramatically. With both being mobile QBs there is a lot that can be done when Hurt/Tru are on the sidelines that they can do, extending plays, moving outside the pocket, etc. To be honest I’d be very happy to draft one and stash the other on the PS if I could. Then in 2021 when Tru moves on they can challenge someone for the QB2 spot.

Depth Chart – including PS players

QB Hurts, Trubisky, Tate/Ehlinger

RB Montgomery, Cohen, Patterson, Nall

FB - Davidson

WR Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Ives
TE Davis, Wilcox, Shaheen, Horsted, Braunecker
LT Benton
LG Whitehair, Cleveland
C Daniels, Mustipher
RG Durant, Bars

RT Massie, Coward

LE Hicks, Robertson-Harris
NT Goldman, Slaton, Bohanna
RE Nichols, Williams

LOLB Mack, Coe, Vaughters
ILB – Smith, Trevathan, Woods, Iggy

ROLB Beasely, Lynch
CB – Fuller, Waynes, Toliver, Denmark

NB – Skrine, Joseph
FS – Jackson, Shelley
SS – Clinton-Dix, Houston-Carson
K - Pineiro
P – O’Donnell
LS - Scales

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This will probably be controversial among Bears fans, but I'd rather keep Leonard Floyd over Cohen.

I'm not opposed go it, I just think Floyd's market will be MUCH richer. If I could keep him down to $8-10 mil per year then I'd even be fine keeping him over DT and moving him inside to ILB. He is at his best as an off-ball linebacker IMO, and it would be nice to keep the young duo of him and Smith together. 

I still think he is going to get $12+ on the open market though, and he will want to grab that deal. 

Edited by Sugashane

Really nice write up by the OP. I have to agree with your line of thinking. After watching the Raiders game I have to agree with you that we have to beef up the trenches in order to succeed. I watch other games and see other teams routinely open up massive holes for their running game and I don't see that during Bears games. I see linebackers consistently meeting our running backs behind the line of scrimmage which means our O-Line is getting destroyed. We need to take some notes from the Colts and see how they rebuilt their line from last years draft.

Also, our defensive line is also a cause for concern. Eddie Goldman is ok, but I see the other team open up holes so big that they were getting 7-15 yards on runs up the gut. At NT we need someone who can command double teams and occupy gaps. Even though Mack is seeing double and triple teams, the rest of our boys up front haven't been producing the results aside from Hicks.

This offseason needs to be focused on the fundamentals and rebuilding both sides of the trenches so that when we do draft our next QB he can be set up with a chance of success. I usually spend the latter part of the season to scope out draft prospects so it'll be a while before I have some input on that as far as names go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm not opposed go it, I just think Floyd's market will be MUCH richer. If I could keep him down to $8-10 mil per year then I'd even be fine keeping him over DT and moving him inside to ILB. He is at his best as an off-ball linebacker IMO, and it would be nice to keep the young duo of him and Smith together. 

I still think he is going to get $12+ on the open market though, and he will want to grab that deal. 

Am I missing something?  I thought the Bears picked up Floyd's 5th year option already for 2020.  I doubt they rescind that now unless something drastically changes this season or he has a major injury (knock on wood).

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Am I missing something?  I thought the Bears picked up Floyd's 5th year option already for 2020.  I doubt they rescind that now unless something drastically changes this season or he has a major injury (knock on wood).

My bad, forgot to mention that I was against the 5th year option for him so I disregarded it. Had that decided back when me and @soulman were going over it a while back.

I try to keep a tab on things like that to throw in these but I just forgot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

No one is trading anything for Leno and Burton.

I disagree completely. Leno had two damn good years and is having a down one right now. There is always someone who believes they can right a ship. People have thrown massive contracts at players that we all scratched our heads at, so I highly doubt there isn't a single team of 31 others interested in removing a draft need for a mid pick PRIOR to FA and the draft. Both can easily be dumped in 2021 as well so the risk is nominal. 

I like the idea of signing of Vernon Davis.  I feel that they could really use his blocking ability and he's still got some juice in the passing game.

Burton looks like he's damaged goods and Shaheen is never going to be anything special.

• Like 1

I find the mock a little unrealistic(I know how ironic that sounds)  3 O-linemen and 4 guys in the front 7, 2 QBs and a TE.  No other skill players, no DBs.  Even if we resign our guys, or sign guys in FA, I can see us drafting a DB or two.  I'm not against drafting like that, but I doubt it'll happen. 

On 10/7/2019 at 5:46 PM, Bowler1215 said:

I find the mock a little unrealistic(I know how ironic that sounds)  3 O-linemen and 4 guys in the front 7, 2 QBs and a TE.  No other skill players, no DBs.  Even if we resign our guys, or sign guys in FA, I can see us drafting a DB or two.  I'm not against drafting like that, but I doubt it'll happen. 

In all fairness they did draft nothing but skill players and DBs last year. Lol.

Really though, I agree it won't happen. Basically I'm trying to add to spots and roles that have been neglected too long. It kind of shocks me that the only real OT Pace has drafted was Fabujule in the 6th. Meanwhile he has drafted 5 RBs, 5 WRs,  and 5 S (assuming Denmark is a S rather than big CB).

I'd love for Coward to be the new Big Cat Williams for us but an influx of youth is needed.