Jay Gruden fired; Bill Calahan to be named interim HC

evilpimp972

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Gruden didn't want to play Haskins (most likely because Haskins simply isn't ready). Gruden made his bed when he went with McCoy over Haskins this week.

Still makes little sense in the grand scheme of things. One week going Colt over Haskins shouldn't be what gets Gruden fired.

I'm curious to see what his plan was to start Haskins because we all know he wasn't going to have a full year to sit.

4 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

They hiring Kafka or Bieniemy next year? 

I could see them going with Kellen Moore. Young, trendy, weakens a division rival.

4 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Also, odds the Bengals fire Taylor and bring back Jay at the end of the year, assuming the Bengals keep their current trend? 

I'd say very low. Taylor is getting three years, so he can get his own QB and OL. Andy Dalton and AJ Green will be jettisoned at the end of the season (Green might go during the season) and they'll try to build around Justin Herbert and a revamped OL with Jonah Williams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

That's not why this is happening. Snyder and Allen want to see Haskins. Gruden didn't want to play Haskins (most likely because Haskins simply isn't ready). Gruden made his bed when he went with McCoy over Haskins this week.

To be fair, they looked real good with McCoy

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Still makes little sense in the grand scheme of things. One week going Colt over Haskins shouldn't be what gets Gruden fired.

I'm curious to see what his plan was to start Haskins because we all know he wasn't going to have a full year to sit.

It's the totality of everything.

Gruden didn't want Haskins to begin with. Gruden wanted to draft someone who could help the team right away and Gruden (who, frankly, has a good eye for QBs) knew Haskins wasn't going to be ready for a while. Snyder, on the other hand, wanted Haskins. Apparently, Haskins went to the same high school as one of his kids. And, this is just my personal opinion, but I think Snyder wants a black franchise QB as a way of harkening back to the glory days, as well as to dissuade discussion of the Redskins name. That's a topic  for another thread, and it's a little on the PC, so let's just leave there. Suffice to say, when Haskins fell to the Redskins at 15, Allen and Snyder pulled the trigger. I do believe that the consolation prize for Gruden was jumping back into the first round to get Sweat.

Then there were expectations. Honestly, this team expected to be competitive this year. The defense has been a complete and utter disappointment. Manusky is, frankly, a terrible DC, Norman is well past any usefulness, Kerrigan is showing his age, Sweat is not nearly the dominant pass rusher some people were expecting, and the rest of the secondary seems raw and inexperienced. The offense has been worse. You can blame some of this on Trent Williams holding out, but the truth is that Peterson was showing his age at the end of last year. Guice went down (again) and Reed was hurt (again). So with minimal receiving threats and no real running game, there isn't much to work with. Also, I think Gruden has failed here the most. The playcalling is confusing and, frankly, dumb. That offensive line simply doesn't hold up against an average pass rush effort. But Gruden keeps calling for 5 and 7 step drops. With Reed and Davis out/limited, there isn't a safety valve/quick read to go. 

Finally, the Colt McCoy decision. Gruden seems fascinated by Colt McCoy. I really can't think of any other journeyman back up that has been given so many opportunities to start in the NFL other than McCoy. McCoy keeps getting injured and then gets brought back in by Gruden. So, this week, when Gruden named McCoy the starter against the Patriots, he did so over the objections of Allen and Snyder. He basically put his reputation on the line, because he's the only one there that wants to see McCoy. Frankly, I think he's the only one in the NFL that thinks McCoy is a viable starter. And when the game was clearly getting away from the Redskins, Gruden never brought in Haskins. 

Snyder/Allen are on a different page when it comes to DeWayne Haskins. They want to see their new toy, now. There is some logic to this, as they are likely going to have a Top 3 pick in the draft next season and need to make a determination about the QB situation. But it's also obvious that Haskins isn't ready for this and it could have waited 3-5 weeks.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

The odds of Haskins becoming Rg3 went up significantly and he hasn't even played.  Same old Redskins. 

The good thing is Haskins is so young entering the NFL that he should have chance to maximize his opportunity on another team if it comes to that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The good thing is Haskins is so young entering the NFL that he should have chance to maximize his opportunity on another team if it comes to that.

It's no shoe in that's a given though Alex Smith type situations are rare he's going to have to endure a lot mentally with that franchise. Hope he does it though because it would be good for football. 

Vince Young was a guy I remember couldn't get tough enough mentally to endure that. It's a shame Haskins entered the league with a head coach who didn't want him, and an owner that forced the pick.

25 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Snyder, on the other hand, wanted Haskins. Apparently, Haskins went to the same high school as one of his kids. And, this is just my personal opinion,

Making a pick for personal reasons whens the last time that worked out?

John Elway picked Brock Osweiler because his son roomed with him in college and was a friend. 

Passed on Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins. 

29 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This guy was horrible, they have way too much talent on their team to be this bad

Do they? I don't see much talent on the offensive side of the ball. It's actually pretty barren without Trent Williams - Guice and Reed can't stay healthy, AP is 33, Chris Thompson is a very situation specific player, Terry McLaurin is talented but nowhere close to a #1 yet...

Defensively, maybe they're talented - but that offense is far from talented, and that defense isn't talented enough to compensate for that.

• Like 3