Jay Gruden fired; Bill Calahan to be named interim HC

evilpimp972

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d assume a tag and trade. How often does that really happen though?

Not often, but usually because the tagging team doesn't want to lose that player.  The Redskins had no intention of giving him a long term deal so not trading him was stupid.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Snakes in the grass. All of them. I seriously wish the NFL would force Snyder to sell the team. Because he's only a few years older than me. Barring a miracle, I'm on this ride the rest of my life.

I do know that I've talked with former employees and they, to a person, have told me how bad the working conditions are under Snyder. So it not only is the on-field stuff, but even back in the office (marketing, administrative, etc...).

Well, I think it's time for ALL of us to step back, take a deep breath, and remember what we love about the Redskins!

Image result for Daniel Snyder Bruce Allen
Edited by bzane

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Gruden is paid for the rest of his contract correct? Or just the year? What I don't understand is Gruden was clearly on the hotseat after last year the Redskins were identifying Haskins during the college season. Why not cut bait right there.

Money doesn't seem to be the issue since they're paying him regardless. 

They potentially released "the video" in an attempt to fire him with cause, to avoid paying the money.  

My problem with this is that Bruce Allen told Gruden to win.  Then, we go out and draft a rookie QB who has little experience and needs to learn the pro game.  How does that mesh with telling the head coach to win?  Even if you luck into Haskins and you really like him, you then come out and disregard what was mentioned earlier and say that the year is about developing Haskins, not about wins and losses.  

Instead, you get this situation that the Redskins are in right now, and will continue to be in, until Dan Snyder decides that what he's done isn't working, and that he needs to give up complete control to a proven executive to right the ship.  Sign the guy, and tell him I'll see you in five years.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I wonder if the best thing for the Redskins would to just lose every single game. MAYBE Bruce Allen gets fired then.

He's Redskins royalty due to his father.  Snyder has a thing for former Redskins, and with Bruce Allen specifically, he somehow believes that Bruce and his brother's political connections are what's going to get him a new stadium site build in the DC Metro area.  Bruce Allen is teflon, and since he was the one left to run this press conference- which was the first one since 2015, and Snyder never shows to them, nor grants interviews- it is clear who is actually in charge of this team, and how much influence he still has.  

Hell, Snyder has hired one guy to handle football operations and shifted Bruce Allen over to the business side.  Two years in after that guy received rave reviews for having the team going in the right direction, Chris Cooley magically says he is drinking again, and Scot McCloughan is fired for cause.  Bruce Allen is now in charge of both again.  

Last year, Snyder signed Brian Lafemina away from the NFL offices to run the business side of the Redskins, an 18 month courtship that lasted in less than nine months with the team.   When the Reuben Foster waiver claim happened, Lafemina went to Snyder and Allen and told him there were big sponsors who were wanting to pull their suite and sponsor deals, and both acted like they didn't care.  When they heard that Lafemina was planning to quit, they fired him instead.  Bam, Bruce Allen back in the saddle.  

Teflon I tell you.  

7 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Have you guys done a protest yet, or would he buy them off?

Just the #FireBruceAllen hashtag that gets a lot of play on social media.  

You would think that the stadium being full of Cowboys, Bears and Patriots fans would say something, but Snyder is still making money off them so it really doesn't matter.  

The fact that a protest did happen, and only six people showed up, just cues into how apathetic the fans are at this point after 20 years of this kind of stuff.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

until Dan Snyder decides that what he's done isn't working,

Dan made his money in telemarketing, an industry that has about 1-2 % success rate, but continues to generate substantial revenue
Snyder has a 1-2 % success rate in the NFL and his team continues to generate substantial revenue.
It appears that Dan Snyder has no earthly idea what "success" actually looks like... and I don't think he cares either way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I honestly think Jay is a fine coach and deserves better. You can’t base a coach off coaching the redskins. He just gave up after year 3. 

I think in a few years he deserves another shot.  But he has some things to learn, mainly: 

1.) Accountability.  You aren't the player's friends.  Snapchat and phones in practice, constant penalties in games, you've got to hold the players to a standard.  

2.) Change the S&C program.  Under Gruden, the Redskins have the highest number of injuries, or in the top five.  The Redskins do have their share of ACL's, concussions, etc, but there are way too many other injuries that could be avoided by having a proper S&C staff and program.  

3.) Don't limit yourself to your brother's coaching tree from Tampa Bay 

4.) Embrace the CEO concept.  Gruden's best season was when he let McVay gameplan and call plays.  You don't need to be the playcaller and do all of that.  You should be overseeing the coaches, touching in with players and helping them to be their best.  Let someone else deal with the minutia.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I can't see any up and coming coach looking to make the Redskins their 1st stop as a Head Coach in the NFL. That has career wrecker written all over it. 100% they'll have to hire a retread. In before the Jeff Fisher hiring.

Exactly this.  As I said in another thread, and in the Redskins forum, some of the OC/DC jobs for teams like the Chiefs, Patriots, etc are better than the Redskins head coaching job.  Yes, there are only 32 jobs, but when the success rate for any coach is below .500, and the current team president is sitting at .380, you wait it out if you have options.  

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Can’t fault them for letting Cousins walk after what the Vikes paid to get him.

You all guaranteed a 29 year old QB $84 million over three seasons.  The Redskins guaranteed a 34 year old $74 million over three seasons, and gave up Kendall Fuller and a third round pick for the privilege to do so, over said 29 year old who knew the system in and out.  

As Bruce Allen says, that was "winning off the field."  

• Like 3