Jay Gruden fired; Bill Calahan to be named interim HC

evilpimp972

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

I keep wondering if and when there's ever going to be enough of a divide among the owners that a majority make the "better business interest" argument to try and force out certain members of their club who are thorns in the sides of their respective franchises (and by effect unrealized earning potential of the league) with no sign that their deaths (morbid I know) might change that pattern like Snyder, Spanos, and so forth.  That's the sort of thing that I would advocate would be paramount to execute before any sort of expansion was ever considered.  Sadly, it's not going to happen anytime soon, especially this close to another round of CBA Negotiations, wherein the owners will have to put forward the facade of a united front.

There has been talk over the years- I couldn't find anything but I swear I've read it- that there are some who would be behind potentially moving on Snyder because of his team representing Washington DC and being close to politics and all.  

Barring a Donald Sterling type fallout though, I can't see where any of the owners truly get behind this because it means that their teams could be taken away for quite a few things.  And from all accounts, Snyder is a very family orientated man and I don't see something like that happening.  

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Change the S&C program.  Under Gruden, the Redskins have the highest number of injuries, or in the top five. 

I heard on the radio today in terms of games missed by players over the past 2 years, Redskins are 2nd in the NFL behind only the Seahawks.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He's Redskins royalty due to his father.  Snyder has a thing for former Redskins, and with Bruce Allen specifically, he somehow believes that Bruce and his brother's political connections are what's going to get him a new stadium site build in the DC Metro area.  Bruce Allen is teflon, and since he was the one left to run this press conference- which was the first one since 2015, and Snyder never shows to them, nor grants interviews- it is clear who is actually in charge of this team, and how much influence he still has.  

Hell, Snyder has hired one guy to handle football operations and shifted Bruce Allen over to the business side.  Two years in after that guy received rave reviews for having the team going in the right direction, Chris Cooley magically says he is drinking again, and Scot McCloughan is fired for cause.  Bruce Allen is now in charge of both again.  

Last year, Snyder signed Brian Lafemina away from the NFL offices to run the business side of the Redskins, an 18 month courtship that lasted in less than nine months with the team.   When the Reuben Foster waiver claim happened, Lafemina went to Snyder and Allen and told him there were big sponsors who were wanting to pull their suite and sponsor deals, and both acted like they didn't care.  When they heard that Lafemina was planning to quit, they fired him instead.  Bam, Bruce Allen back in the saddle.  

Teflon I tell you.  

Snyder is a coward. I thought Jed York was on the same path as he was a couple of years ago. I was dead wrong. At least York every season after a firing or whatever, wasn't afraid to face the music or public. He got up on the podium, and lined out what he wanted to do. And he's never micro managed, and learned from his past mistakes. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

There has been talk over the years- I couldn't find anything but I swear I've read it- that there are some who would be behind potentially moving on Snyder because of his team representing Washington DC and being close to politics and all.  

Barring a Donald Sterling type fallout though, I can't see where any of the owners truly get behind this because it means that their teams could be taken away for quite a few things.  And from all accounts, Snyder is a very family orientated man and I don't see something like that happening.  

Taking a chance to sit back and think about it, I really don't imagine there's any sort of "coup" (for lack of a better word, I suppose it might be closer in actuality to a hostile takeover) until after Mike Brown dies.  Given who his dad was and how tightly knit into the historical fabric of the league, the optics of running Paul Brown's son from the league would be pretty terrible (even though, oddly enough, I'm not sure a simple majority of average NFL fans know of Brown outside of passing).

Also, certain of these owners are snakes that know how to ingratiate themselves to one side of the power-struggle in the collectives of owners trying to establish themselves as further up on the pyramid of owners as far as power and influence wielded - which basically comes down to Jerruh's boys (name pending) and the Kraft/Mara Contingent.  Dean Spanos, for example, had buddied up and been more than happy to effectively let Kraft dictate what position he should have on any matter because Kraft supported his endeavor to relocate despite the fact that he has and continues to put the most minimal effort into actually building and developing a niche in the market.  This is the example I've used for a while, but LAFC and the Chargers entered the LA market within months of each other despite direct in-sport competition within the market.  LAFC is absolutely flourishing, the Chargers are floundering.  And their methodologies could have been more diametrically opposite.

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Supposedly Snyder wants to try to acquire Mike Tomlin

I'm pretty sure that @BlaqOptic will gift wrap him for Dan.  The fancy shopping mall kind of giftwrap, even.

That said, IMO the Skins would be smart to bring in a defensive-minded HC because that's where they have the most building blocks to work with to develop a team identity.  That said, it's because it's would be smart is exactly why I don't expect Snyder and Allen to do it; plus, I have this long-held belief that Snyder has a jones for having a high-flying offensive coach.

40 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I'm pretty sure that @BlaqOptic will gift wrap him for Dan.  The fancy shopping mall kind of giftwrap, even.

That said, IMO the Skins would be smart to bring in a defensive-minded HC because that's where they have the most building blocks to work with to develop a team identity.  That said, it's because it's would be smart is exactly why I don't expect Snyder and Allen to do it; plus, I have this long-held belief that Snyder has a jones for having a high-flying offensive coach.

Most of his head coach hires have been him wanting to put an elite offense on the field.  Whether it was Spurrier's offense, Air Coryell 2.0, the expectations they had for Zorn and for Gruden, he's always wanted that explosive offense through the air.  

42 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Taking a chance to sit back and think about it, I really don't imagine there's any sort of "coup" (for lack of a better word, I suppose it might be closer in actuality to a hostile takeover) until after Mike Brown dies.  Given who his dad was and how tightly knit into the historical fabric of the league, the optics of running Paul Brown's son from the league would be pretty terrible (even though, oddly enough, I'm not sure a simple majority of average NFL fans know of Brown outside of passing).

Also, certain of these owners are snakes that know how to ingratiate themselves to one side of the power-struggle in the collectives of owners trying to establish themselves as further up on the pyramid of owners as far as power and influence wielded - which basically comes down to Jerruh's boys (name pending) and the Kraft/Mara Contingent.  Dean Spanos, for example, had buddied up and been more than happy to effectively let Kraft dictate what position he should have on any matter because Kraft supported his endeavor to relocate despite the fact that he has and continues to put the most minimal effort into actually building and developing a niche in the market.  This is the example I've used for a while, but LAFC and the Chargers entered the LA market within months of each other despite direct in-sport competition within the market.  LAFC is absolutely flourishing, the Chargers are floundering.  And their methodologies could have been more diametrically opposite.

I did read a story from the Washington Post taking a look at 20 years of Snyder before the season started, and that one of the reasons he was approved for ownership was he was so young, and they were looking for a potential leader of the owners out of him and someone younger who more people could relate to.  Instead, he stays quiet during most meetings unless Jerry Jones says something he agrees with, and then he'll speak up to support him.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Most of his head coach hires have been him wanting to put an elite offense on the field.  Whether it was Spurrier's offense, Air Coryell 2.0, the expectations they had for Zorn and for Gruden, he's always wanted that explosive offense through the air.  

Yeah, that's been my observation, too.

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

ok, then take colbert, ben and fichner then and sign AB, Martavis etc. O.o .