Jaguars claim S Calvin Pryor

.Buzz

10 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

He has been pretty bad, but he's worth a flier as a recent first round draft pick. He needs to keep his head on straight though. Cleveland released him after he got into a fight with a teammate.

Yeah, kind of what I figured.

As you said, like taking a flier on a guy like this though. Just turned 25 in July, so still can get it turned around.

Time to go watch whatever film I can get my hands on and study him. I've heard ups and downs about him. He showed potential for Rex during his Rookie season, but didn't fit in with the new staff (just like Sheldon Richardson). 

11 minutes ago, Jags said:

Time to go watch whatever film I can get my hands on and study him. I've heard ups and downs about him. He showed potential for Rex during his Rookie season, but didn't fit in with the new staff (just like Sheldon Richardson). 

Well that's good to hear. May just need to be in the right scheme.

Like I said, barring injury/one of the guys ahead of him struggling mightily he should just be a solid depth guy/3rd safety. But it'd be great if we could get him to find his potential and be more than that down the road.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I haven't seen a ton of Pryor but as a 3rd safety with upside I think you could do a whole heck of a lot worse.

If he sucks he'll get cut after a few weeks. No big deal.

hes another cyprien.  if anything he should be the 4th/5th safety. im sure with Gipson being questionable this move makes some sense. i think if Gipson doesnt play Thompson at FS with Wilson as our 3rd safety. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Well that's good to hear. May just need to be in the right scheme.

Like I said, barring injury/one of the guys ahead of him struggling mightily he should just be a solid depth guy/3rd safety. But it'd be great if we could get him to find his potential and be more than that down the road.

hes pretty bad. he sucks in coverage. he should strictly be a Box Safety at best. 

Pryor:  

(Watched Browns 2017 Preason and some Jets game's from last 2016).

A big hitter. Better near the LOS. A in the box safety. Looks lost in coverage. He will lay people out. Has an issue bringing someone down in open space. Man coverage is below average. Loves to get his nose in the pile when there is a run play. He has been playing ST for the Browns (punt return team). He has been the backup safety. Has issues dealing with quick WRs in man coverage. Seems to get lost in zone occasionally, but is OK overall. 

Conclusion: He is going to be able to play the role Cyprien played, but he is not as good at form tackling and coverage wise, they're about even. They both are liabilities in coverage. He is usually the hardest hitter on the field, but he does not form tackle to well or tackle well in space. Seems to diagnose well enough. If he can learn to wrap up instead of trying to take someone's head off each time, he could be a good in the box safety. NOT an ideal FS. 

1 hour ago, Jags said:
Pryor:  

(Watched Browns 2017 Preason and some Jets game's from last 2016).

A big hitter. Better near the LOS. A in the box safety. Looks lost in coverage. He will lay people out. Has an issue bringing someone down in open space. Man coverage is below average. Loves to get his nose in the pile when there is a run play. He has been playing ST for the Browns (punt return team). He has been the backup safety. Has issues dealing with quick WRs in man coverage. Seems to get lost in zone occasionally, but is OK overall. 

Conclusion: He is going to be able to play the role Cyprien played, but he is not as good at form tackling and coverage wise, they're about even. They both are liabilities in coverage. He is usually the hardest hitter on the field, but he does not form tackle to well or tackle well in space. Seems to diagnose well enough. If he can learn to wrap up instead of trying to take someone's head off each time, he could be a good in the box safety. NOT an ideal FS. 

I said that pretty much without any tape. 

Archived