Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WindyCity

Thoughts and Observations: Week 5 Raiders

Recommended Posts

Offense
 
-Charles Leno has been horrendous this season. Yesterday he had 3 penalties and a sack given up, which puts him by my count at 4 sacks on the season and 8 penalties, leads the NFL, and is on pace for an incredible 13 sacks given up and 26 accepted penalties. They have no one to go to, but they need to find a way to light a fire under him for the rest of the season and then cut him in the offseason.
 
-Kyle Long is done. 100% totally done. Get him on the bench and do not let nostalgia ruin a season. He should have been done after Washington.
 
-Trey Burton looks like a grandfather on the field. He has no speed, no power, and does not even give a blocking effort on the field. I am not sure what the deal is with him and the groin, but he looks like a shadow of what he was last season.
 
-Allen Robinson is awesome. Extend him.
 
-Anthony Miller finally getting something going and then pretty much ruins it all by being, guess what, an IDIOT.
 
Taunting 15 yards
Offside on the kickoff 5 yards
Terrible effort on the tackle, 50 yard return
 
-Adam Shaheen again pretty much non-existent.
 
-I am not even sure what to make of David Montgomery, it is pretty hard to assess when he never has single crease to run through and is getting hit in the backfield by multiple Raiders. The run game is pathetic and it is time to start pointing the finger at Nagy, Heistand, and this pathetically soft OL.
 
-Tarik Cohen finally having a really productive game on specials and catching the ball, again I am not offering any assessment of the RB spot in the run game.
 
-Chase Daniel sucks. He makes a few throws, but he is so damn limited and all 3 of his picks were HORRENDOUS decisions or throws directly to defenders.
 
-It would be nice if Harry Hiestand stopped cashing checks based on reputation and started to fix the OL. This group is the single biggest disappointment of the season and their play as a group has been nothing short of pathetic.
 
-Matt Nagy got outcoached, his team was not prepared to play. The Bears got pushed around and physically dominated and that comes back to their coach and preparation as we have seen this defense at least physically control a game. 
 
Defense
 
-I do not think I have ever seen this defense get physically destroyed off the ball like they did against the Raiders. Miami last season they were gassed and got beat in the passing game. This game they were physically moved off the ball over and over again. OLmen were into the 2nd level with little resistance. It was a pathetic effort that we probably need to forgive because of how good they are normally.
 
-The Khalil Mack revenge game [insert sad trombone music]. He was non-existent and totally neutralized the entire game.
 
-Leonard disappointingly has gone back into stealth mode. 
 
-When Akiem Hicks got injured the Raiders really started to bully the Bears. The real regression for the Bears this season has been in health and missing key guys.
 
-I thought Trevathan was solid.
 
-Roquan looked lost with all of Raiders on the 2nd level he was getting pin balled around a lot. I hope that he gets his head right over the bye week and can start making some impact plays.
 
-A game like that might be when you bring Kwik off the bench. That game was made for him.
 
-Kyle Fuller missing tackles against guys like Hunter Renfrow is when you know that you are not suppose to win the game.
 
-Eddie Goldman getting cut blocked the entire game was a very good backside plan on their zone run plays.
 
-RRH and Nick Williams struggled to maintain the level of play that they had against the Vikings. The Bears DL depth is getting seriously tested and I guess with backups we need to expect some struggles like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me this game was won by the Raiders because they were more physical and basically dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.  Pretty surprised by the defense getting manhandled like they did.  Mack I expected would be double and triple teamed this game because you know the Raiders weren't about to look even more foolish than they already did after dealing him away, but the fact that no other guys stepped up is a bit disconcerting.  I think that losing Hicks early on was a big blow.

The guys also looked tired and I wonder if leaving so late in the week was a factor in them looking so flat.  Originally I thought it wasn't a big deal but now I'm questioning if that was the right decision by the team...but whatever.

We have a real problem with the offensive line folks.  5 games in and these guys are really sucking and looking like a bottom 5 unit.  How it changed so drastically from last season is anyone's guess but something needs to change and change quick during this bye week.  I think they have to make a roster change here,  Sorry but something is not right with Long and he probably needs to take a seat to send a message that poor play will not be tolerated on this team no matter how much respect and leadership a guy has.  He is basically just taking up space at this point.

Also did Charles Leno just take all that guaranteed money the Bears gave him and pack it in because he is absolutely robbing the team right now with how bad he's been.  The team needs to stop with this Bradley Sowell experiment and bring up an actual O-lineman like Bars.

Edited by topwop1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I would do with the line,

1. IR Kyle Long. 

Benching him is embarrassing and by IRing him he gets the injury excuse and he can quietly disappear and retire in the offseason.

2. Start Rashaad Coward

Lets see if our investment of times and a roster spot has been worth it. He is 100% the most physical player that we have in the OL room.

3. Leak that you are looking at trading for Trent Williams

Send a shot across Leno's bow. They do not have the draft capital to do it, but they should let people know they are interested as Leno's play has been *** and he needs to stew in it for the bye week.

4. Bring up Alex Bars

He starts working at LT in practice. I would even give him a couple of 1st team reps every practice to make sure Leno knows that I am getting someone ready to replace him.

-See if that works.

5. Switch Whitehair and Daniels back.

I would still wait 2-3 games to see if getting rid of Long helps the interior OL out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

3. Leak that you are looking at trading for Trent Williams

Send a shot across Leno's bow. They do not have the draft capital to do it, but they should let people know they are interested as Leno's play has been *** and he needs to stew in it for the bye week.

Although I don't think they would come close to biting I would offer the Redskins one of our 2nd round picks right now for Williams.  Though it'd get rejected, like you said at least the word will get out that Bears are looking to upgrade the line which would hopefully kick these guys is the *** to raise their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Also, it would be nice if the legendary Harry Hiestand would do something.

I didn't see it but apparently he threw his hat in disgust on the Bears sideline yesterday.  I'm sure he's just as frustrated as all of us.

This is not to say that he has been doing a good job but the fact that these guys were pretty decent last year and now the same group looks like garbage this year has to tell you it's the players more so than the coaching IMO.

That being said I'm  like 99% sure that OL will be a heavy focus this next off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I didn't see it but apparently he threw his hat in disgust on the Bears sideline yesterday.  I'm sure he's just as frustrated as all of us.

This is not to say that he has been doing a good job but the fact that these guys were pretty decent last year and now the same group looks like garbage this year has to tell you it's the players more so than the coaching IMO.

That being said I'm  like 99% sure that OL will be a heavy focus this next off season.

Someone continues to make the decision to put the corps of Kyle Long on the field.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is on point. Why is he playing? Isn't this suppose to be a meritocracy? I think the line played so much better with Ted Larsen during the Vikings game. The long term trend however, is bad. This line has been terrible at run blocking since Nagy joined the staff. It's definitely part coaching and fit but also it's part players. 

I would immediately switch James and Cody and see if that helps the interior. Leno really needs to get his head out of his butt. If he can play at last years level we could easily turn this line around. 

We have to get competition at the line and see if Larsen or Coward can compete. Kyle Long needs to be benched, hes the weakest person on the line right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OL is the fatal flaw.

The QB did not take a step forward, but the Bears could still make the playoffs with a good ground game and OL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The OL is the fatal flaw.

The QB did not take a step forward, but the Bears could still make the playoffs with a good ground game and OL.

 

 

My biggest problem is that you get rid of Jordan Howard because he's not a "good fit" for what you want to do on offense but yet the same running game problems exist with Montgomery and Davis, despite those guys giving it their best efforts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

My biggest problem is that you get rid of Jordan Howard because he's not a "good fit" for what you want to do on offense but yet the same running game problems exist with Montgomery and Davis, despite those guys giving it their best efforts.  

The OL is the fatal flaw.

5 games is not a blip, it is a pretty loud announcement that this group sucks and needs a major overhaul.

Long is done after the bye week. Leno is cut in the offseason, and we get some serious *** kickers in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The OL is the fatal flaw.

5 games is not a blip, it is a pretty loud announcement that this group sucks and needs a major overhaul.

Long is done after the bye week. Leno is cut in the offseason, and we get some serious *** kickers in here.

I'm really curious to see if Nagy will actually make some moves with the line during the bye because if things stay status quo then that will truly be disappointing and signify to me that there is a lack of accountability when it comes to these guys.

I also agree that Anthony Miller needs to be humbled...maybe by disciplining him next game or something.  I like the kid but he always talks a big game and then goes on to make one or two boneheaded plays every game.  Makes a tough grab look easy and then drops the ones he should absolutely have and then you have the penalties and lack of effort.  Pretty frustrated with this guy right now because I know he can be better but he is a bit of a primadonna it seems.

He needs to take a page out of ARob's book because he has been our only consistent player on offense this whole season.

Edited by topwop1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a Raiders fan opinion:

  • We won because we took control of the LOS. We do have a very good O-line. It appears that Cable has finally stopped sucking because we've always had the talent, just the coaching and scheme have been bad. Trent Brown is a top tier RT, Hudson is the best pass-blocking C in football, Incognito is a total POS but still very effective and Kolton Miller has taken a big step this year.
  • Allen Robinson is a freak. Holy did he make a number of incredible catches. He is a true #1 WR and I'd kill to have him on the Raiders.
  • Your O-line is in rough shape. The Raiders D-line is solid vs the run but quite frankly is poor in the pass-rush department (Especially without Ferrell). The fact we had 4 almost 5 sacks is crazy. I though you guys would utilize more chips and/or TE blocking to help our Leno.
  • You have an enormous following in London. We all knew this "home" game for the Raiders sucks because of the distance, but man did you guys dominate the crowd. It wasn't even close.
  • It sucks so so so so so much seeing Mack in a Bears uni. Sure Jacobs looks great and we have another 1st next year, but those two players will never equal a Mack. Sure we can include the FA's we brought in with the Mack money, but it still kills to know we let a HOF talent go in his prime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

From a Raiders fan opinion:

  • We won because we took control of the LOS. We do have a very good O-line. It appears that Cable has finally stopped sucking because we've always had the talent, just the coaching and scheme have been bad. Trent Brown is a top tier RT, Hudson is the best pass-blocking C in football, Incognito is a total POS but still very effective and Kolton Miller has taken a big step this year.
  • Allen Robinson is a freak. Holy did he make a number of incredible catches. He is a true #1 WR and I'd kill to have him on the Raiders.
  • Your O-line is in rough shape. The Raiders D-line is solid vs the run but quite frankly is poor in the pass-rush department (Especially without Ferrell). The fact we had 4 almost 5 sacks is crazy. I though you guys would utilize more chips and/or TE blocking to help our Leno.
  • You have an enormous following in London. We all knew this "home" game for the Raiders sucks because of the distance, but man did you guys dominate the crowd. It wasn't even close.
  • It sucks so so so so so much seeing Mack in a Bears uni. Sure Jacobs looks great and we have another 1st next year, but those two players will never equal a Mack. Sure we can include the FA's we brought in with the Mack money, but it still kills to know we let a HOF talent go in his prime.

Great game plan by Gruden as well. I haven't seen a lot of players wide open against the Bears defense. The physicality of your offensive line was very impressive. I'm glad your team is improving! Good luck the rest of the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Nagy is a great coach in a lot of ways.  

Where he he is lacking is in making the tough calls quickly and looking long term.

I think the fact that Long started this game is exhibit A.  He shouldn't have started the season he hasn't had one good practice in 2019.  

Yes he is a leader and great guy and all that, but he can't play this year.  

Second we are paying this year for not playing Daniel at center last year.  It hurts Whitehair and Daniel and the team. 

It would have been better to suffer growing pains during your honeymoon phase. Now in second year you have a crappy Oline.

All three of our QBs have looked like garbage this year when they have had no time and all three have looked mostly good when they did.

Also bench Roquan if he is in midst of whatever.  Make the hard choices.  

Bench Miller if he gets a penalty.  Bench Jackson if he gets a stupid penalty.  Get some on field discipline.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×