Thoughts and Observations: Week 5 Raiders

WindyCity

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:
  1. I think the Bears should consider swapping Daniels/Whitehair.
  2. Cornelius Lucas was decent against Washington. He should get a chance somewhere on this OL.

It's funny because Lucas was the favorite whipping boy of the preseason and ppl couldn't believe he made the team and now those same people would like to see him play. Ah gotta love Bears fans xD

45 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Shaheen not getting targeted is because his slow *** can’t get open.

Maybe? I don't know how many snaps he was on the field, or how the plays unfolded. From what I saw, he wasn't out there much--although I admit I might be wrong about that. However, trusting a staff to use Shaheen right, when that staff also insists on starting Long (no matter what)...well, we may have differences of opinion as to their decision making abilities at the moment.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:
Offense

-Charles Leno has been horrendous this season. Yesterday he had 3 penalties and a sack given up, which puts him by my count at 4 sacks on the season and 8 penalties, leads the NFL, and is on pace for an incredible 13 sacks given up and 26 accepted penalties. They have no one to go to, but they need to find a way to light a fire under him for the rest of the season and then cut him in the offseason.

-Kyle Long is done. 100% totally done. Get him on the bench and do not let nostalgia ruin a season. He should have been done after Washington.

-Trey Burton looks like a grandfather on the field. He has no speed, no power, and does not even give a blocking effort on the field. I am not sure what the deal is with him and the groin, but he looks like a shadow of what he was last season.

-Allen Robinson is awesome. Extend him.

-Anthony Miller finally getting something going and then pretty much ruins it all by being, guess what, an IDIOT.

Taunting 15 yards
Offside on the kickoff 5 yards
Terrible effort on the tackle, 50 yard return

-Adam Shaheen again pretty much non-existent.

-I am not even sure what to make of David Montgomery, it is pretty hard to assess when he never has single crease to run through and is getting hit in the backfield by multiple Raiders. The run game is pathetic and it is time to start pointing the finger at Nagy, Heistand, and this pathetically soft OL.

-Tarik Cohen finally having a really productive game on specials and catching the ball, again I am not offering any assessment of the RB spot in the run game.

-Chase Daniel sucks. He makes a few throws, but he is so damn limited and all 3 of his picks were HORRENDOUS decisions or throws directly to defenders.

-It would be nice if Harry Hiestand stopped cashing checks based on reputation and started to fix the OL. This group is the single biggest disappointment of the season and their play as a group has been nothing short of pathetic.

-Matt Nagy got outcoached, his team was not prepared to play. The Bears got pushed around and physically dominated and that comes back to their coach and preparation as we have seen this defense at least physically control a game. 

Defense

-I do not think I have ever seen this defense get physically destroyed off the ball like they did against the Raiders. Miami last season they were gassed and got beat in the passing game. This game they were physically moved off the ball over and over again. OLmen were into the 2nd level with little resistance. It was a pathetic effort that we probably need to forgive because of how good they are normally.

-The Khalil Mack revenge game [insert sad trombone music]. He was non-existent and totally neutralized the entire game.

-Leonard disappointingly has gone back into stealth mode. 

-When Akiem Hicks got injured the Raiders really started to bully the Bears. The real regression for the Bears this season has been in health and missing key guys.

-I thought Trevathan was solid.

-Roquan looked lost with all of Raiders on the 2nd level he was getting pin balled around a lot. I hope that he gets his head right over the bye week and can start making some impact plays.

-A game like that might be when you bring Kwik off the bench. That game was made for him.

-Kyle Fuller missing tackles against guys like Hunter Renfrow is when you know that you are not suppose to win the game.

-Eddie Goldman getting cut blocked the entire game was a very good backside plan on their zone run plays.

-RRH and Nick Williams struggled to maintain the level of play that they had against the Vikings. The Bears DL depth is getting seriously tested and I guess with backups we need to expect some struggles like that.

I disagree on the Miami game as they also got beat in the running game allowing 161 yards rushing on 31 carries.  there is going to be a drop off with guys getting injured. I also think Pagano played to much nickel and should have played more base defense. Which is the Bears defense without Hicks. The one against Minnesota or the one against Oakland.

I also think that everyone has unfair expectations on The Bears defense that they should always play a perfect game. They played one bad game and it is like everything is over. The problem with this team is the offense never plays a good game.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Why would trading for Williams light a fire under Leno? He would still get paid in Washington. Big deal. Instead ride it out and hope he goes back to 2017-2018 Leno. Anyone else think he looks fat?

Agree on Kwiatkoski. I thought they were going to come with him in the game for the 2nd half. Nope.

Everyone on the OL sucks except Whitehair.

Hopefully these injuries aren't the beginning of the end for Hicks. He's a big man in his 30's and probably only had this year and next anyway, but man seeing him limp off every week hurts.

Robinson is a beast. Miller's catch was similar to all the good he did at Memphis. His tweet postgame is sad because he evidently thinks he isn't being detrimental. Maybe less one handed pregame catches and focus on two hands, although the drop was an equally bad throw from Daniel.

Burton and Shaheen blow. Anyone want to continue to tell me that Shaheen isn't bad?

I was at the game but should Key have been called for at least running into the kicker when Pineiro went down?

Agree on almost everything else. Not sure why any OC wouldn't do exactly what Denver and now Oakland did: neutralize the pass rush with cut blocks and quick throws + some stretch runs. It shows you how awful MIN's gameplan was last week.

Saints, Chargers, @ Eagles, Lions. This season will either be finished by 3 pm week 10 or going strong. Unfortunately I fear the former.

The Chargers and Lions are beatable. The Bears defense will rebound even without Hicks. I wouldn't say Minnesota's game plan was awful. Minnesota has ran the ball on everyone except the Bears this year. The Bears were unprepared for The raiders and not ready to play. That is coaching. The Bears pass rush was neutralized against Oakland because they didn't stop the run. This defense is built on stopping the run as they are now 1-4 in games when allowing over 100 yards rushing the last 2 seasons. You only get to rush the passer after stopping the run.

Edited by TB 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Ryan Pace has made a bold tribute to the past.

He has remade the 2006 Bears, only with a much crappier OL and worse special teams.

:D He hired Nagy and the offense is only getting worse.

49 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

:D He hired Nagy and the offense is only getting worse.

Takes 3 years to master the offense, things are always darkest before the dawn, Chase Daniel is our quarterback, an apple a day keeps the doctor away, etc. I'm sure he will have more proverbs to throw out when he is at the podium.

Meanwhile Flip has a mediocre squad and 6th round QB outperforming any real stretch of games the Bears offense has had in Nagy's tenure.

Blocking has been a big difference, but scheming, adjusting, and playcalling has been a MUCH bigger deal. Tru was never going to be Mahomes regardless of who developed him, but Flip would have had at least developed him beyond what has happened here.

Offense keeps tanking like this and we might get a second shot at him. lol

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Takes 3 years to master the offense, things are always darkest before the dawn, Chase Daniel is our quarterback, an apple a day keeps the doctor away, etc. I'm sure he will have more proverbs to throw out when he is at the podium.

Meanwhile Flip has a mediocre squad and 6th round QB outperforming any real stretch of games the Bears offense has had in Nagy's tenure.

Blocking has been a big difference, but scheming, adjusting, and playcalling has been a MUCH bigger deal. Tru was never going to be Mahomes regardless of who developed him, but Flip would have had at least developed him beyond what has happened here.

But Flip showed when he had a poor offensive line as he did in Minnesota last year that he was not as successful.  It all starts up front.

I'm not defending Nagy here because he needs to do a better job at manufacturing offense and being more creative and less predictable but the o-line really does have to pick their **** up if this team is gonna have any success on O.

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This is a really dumb statement and flat out untrue.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This is a really dumb statement and flat out untrue.

It is not as dumb as you might want to believe. The TB outlier does skew things.

The Bears offense is a massive disappointment and our offensive genius HC does not seem to have any answers for improving it. 

Edited by WindyCity

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is not as dumb as you might want to believe.

The Bears offense is a massive disappointment and our offensive genius HC does not seem to have any answers for improving it. 

I know the answer....fire Helfrich and Hiestand and hire Flip as OC and Marrone as OL coach after both are axed after this season in Jacksonville and then try and make a move for Nick Foles.

Re-tool the o-line in the 2nd round with both picks and hope for the best.

Barring some unforeseen improvement I'm not sure I can see the offense exploding or becoming that much better this season... which is a big shame. Major improvements are needed.

Edited by topwop1

Im not as doom as gloom as everybody else.

1. We are battling a bit of an injury bug. I know Trubisky is having a down year but he did make a Pro-bowl and is are starter. Hicks also is a pro-Bowler. I also think Nichals is still out.
  2. The OL sucks. No excuse for them.
  3. Bears came out crazy flat. That's on coaching. Bears were unprepared and set themselves up for a let down game. That being said, we came back and took the lead with like 2 minutes left. Bears defense was a let down. The unit cant always be perfect but this is a defensive loss.
  4. Chase Daniels is a journeyman backup playing in London behind a bad OL. I think he played about as well as he could tbh. I dont get why the Bears refuse to get a young backup with potential at least.

End of the day I just think this was a trap game and the Bears fell for it.I also want to give credit to the Raiders. The whole AB situation took over all of their headlines but what I saw on the field was a team that deserves to be 3-2. They have some talent.

Edited by MonserinNC

50 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Im not as doom as gloom as everybody else.

1. We are battling a bit of an injury bug. I know Trubisky is having a down year but he did make a Pro-bowl and is are starter. Hicks also is a pro-Bowler. I also think Nichals is still out.
  2. The OL sucks. No excuse for them.
  3. Bears came out crazy flat. That's on coaching. Bears were unprepared and set themselves up for a let down game. That being said, we came back and took the lead with like 2 minutes left. Bears defense was a let down. The unit cant always be perfect but this is a defensive loss.
  4. Chase Daniels is a journeyman backup playing in London behind a bad OL. I think he played about as well as he could tbh. I dont get why the Bears refuse to get a young backup with potential at least.

End of the day I just think this was a trap game and the Bears fell for it.I also want to give credit to the Raiders. The whole AB situation took over all of their headlines but what I saw on the field was a team that deserves to be 3-2. They have some talent.

Using the Pro Bowl as a positive for Trubisky does not allow for an accurate assessment. He backed in and did not really have any case other than team wins and popularity for being there.

The problem is that not many teams make the playoffs with a mediocre QB and bad OL.