2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

One thing that has become lot more common these days is defenders trying to punch the ball out of receiver's hands and thereby forcing the fumble. I feel like that's one area where Vikings defense isn't as aggressive as most of the other top defenses. Whenever I watch Bears play, they are super aggressive in this aspect

• Like 2

5th in yards allowed

4th in yards allowed per game

6th in passing yards allowed per game

9th in rushing yards allowed per game

5th in points allowed per game

Tied for 3rd in total sacks.

Teams ahead of them being the Patriots, Bears, Bills and 49ers in points allowed per game which is the most important.  

Not bad considering Rhodes has not played well and their starting nickle corner has been out and Hughes just started playing up to par in this last game.  Love the pass rush, love how they have used Barr as a pass rusher as well.  Kearse has had some nice moments, Harris has looked good and Wilson flashed when he got the chance.  Griffen seems back to himself and Hunter is one of the best DEs in the NFL no question about it.

Nice start to the season, would like to see more turnovers but for arguably Rhodes and Waynes not playing great, as a unit they are doing very well.  Hunter is one of the best at his position, Barr is no question one of the best at his position and same with Harrison Smith so got all levels covered.  More production at corner will be key for the units overall success.  The Patriots have the best secondary in the NFL and it is not even a question, they got arguably 8 deep there with all legit players.  Bills will be great with Edmunds at ILB at a talented DL and secondary, and the Bears are the Bears.

Sadly Vikings probably will not be better than those units just on pure talent but will see how it plays out.  Sadly take the Bills they have Levi Wallace starting at CB and he is out playing some highly paid Viking corners I feel and Wallace was a UDFA in 2018.  So the corners need to perform more based on the pay check they are getting with Rhodes and Waynes.  Both Waynes and Rhodes are getting paid more than Harrison Smith is this year and that is just criminal based on their performance and his.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I hope the defense improves once Hill comes back.

Our CB play this year seems kinda average..

We no longer have an "elite" cornerback, but once Hill is back, we have the best 1-5 CBs in the league. And it isn't close. Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, and Hill give us 5 starting caliber CBs. We've devoted a lot of draft capital to the position, but with the pass-happy offenses leaguewide, it has paid off. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

We no longer have an "elite" cornerback, but once Hill is back, we have the best 1-5 CBs in the league. And it isn't close. Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, and Hill give us 5 starting caliber CBs. We've devoted a lot of draft capital to the position, but with the pass-happy offenses leaguewide, it has paid off. 

Hopefully Hughes can develop into that shut down corner

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

What?  The Patriots have the best and it is not even close.  CB Gilmore, Jonathan Jones, Jason McCourty, JC Jackson, Joejuan Williams then at safety Patrick Chung, Devin McCourty and Duron Harmon.  That is 8 very solid defensive backs and I would take Gilmore over arguably any DB on the Vikings roster.  And corners 1-3 for the Patriots are better than any corner on the Vikings arguably as well with how badly Waynes and Rhodes have played at times this year.  

Will see if Hughes gets a chance to start because Waynes is picked on a lot, surprised Rhodes was not as well in this game.  

I thought this last year about how great the Vikings corners are.  Well that was not the case last year and is especially not this year, only reason that would be the case is if Rhodes and Waynes are All pros and no way either is an All pro much less a Pro bowler.  Alexander is nice in the slot and Hughes but both have showed only a little, they better hope they can become an boundary corner because if not they are in trouble.  Hill is a starter maybe but even he is nothing great compared to what some other teams in the league have.

The fact Rhodes is not what he used to be really matters and hurts this defense.  It limits what Harrison can do and Harris.  Harris looked great week 1 and one other game but a lot of games he does very little in terms of making plays and big time tackles.  Harrison is not around the ball a ton, still is the best safety and as good as any safety on the Patriots sure but without the CB help he is very limited in what he can do I feel.  The Vikings CB play needs to improve, obviously Barr and Kendricks cannot cover deep down field and they are being asked to do that oddly enough.  

Kendricks made some nice plays in coverage this game, but also got beat big time in coverage deep, same with Barr and that cannot keep happening.  Thank goodness the pass rush picked up late because not sure they can cover long enough in the pass rush is not on point.  

Eagles look like they are in desperation mode for a CB...does anyone think we should entertain trade offers from Eagles for Rhodes? He doesn't seem to be the same player anymore and his value is only gonna plummet going forward...with Eagles badly looking for a CB, I feel like we can get something pretty decent in return.

52 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I know the Eagles have a good roster, and we were getting some pressure on Wentz, but most of the game Philly's OL gave their QB a lot of time to throw.

We are sorely missing a UT beside Joseph. That would complete our DL and take our defense back to 2017 level.

I thought they should have addressed a interior DT spot and or DE spot in this draft.  DE is looking more solid now that Griffen is back to normal but DT I agree needs some help with a talented dominating player.  But hard to say CB is not the biggest need for that Vikings D with how Rhodes and Waynes has looked.  Hope Hughes gets a start one of these days at boundary instead of one of those two, same with Alexander to see what they have with them outside of just slot players.

Hope Hercules gets some more PT, and Odenigbo seems interesting as a pass rushing DT but year run stopping DT who cannot be moved we do not really have outside of Joseph who is on the decline.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Hopefully Hughes can develop into that shut down corner

He's played really well the past couple weeks, getting into proper position and playing the ball instead of the receiver.

This is still his "rookie year" though, with the ACL tear last year. I think he may take a huge step forward next year.  Like Jaire Alexander step forward.