2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What?  The Patriots have the best and it is not even close.  CB Gilmore, Jonathan Jones, Jason McCourty, JC Jackson, Joejuan Williams then at safety Patrick Chung, Devin McCourty and Duron Harmon.  That is 8 very solid defensive backs and I would take Gilmore over arguably any DB on the Vikings roster.  And corners 1-3 for the Patriots are better than any corner on the Vikings arguably as well with how badly Waynes and Rhodes have played at times this year.  

Will see if Hughes gets a chance to start because Waynes is picked on a lot, surprised Rhodes was not as well in this game.  

Kendricks made some nice plays in coverage this game, but also got beat big time in coverage deep, same with Barr and that cannot keep happening.  Thank goodness the pass rush picked up late because not sure they can cover long enough in the pass rush is not on point.  

If you give any validity to PFF, they have Mackensie Alexander being better than Gilmore.  Also, if there is anything that the Vikings have over the Patriots is age.  Gilmore, the McCourtys, Chung and Harmon are all 28 or older.  On the Vikings' roster, only Xavier and Harrison are over 28. 

As far as Kendricks, I'm not sure that he wasn't expecting someone over the top on that play where he got beat.  I don't know the play call, but it certainly looked like that could have been the case. 

Edited by swede700

A typically exciting Eagles offense was stifled by the stout Minnesota defense. Fueled by the performances of Danielle Hunter, Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr, the defense held Philly to 20 points along with 400 total yards and forced three turnovers. The top-10 pass defense forced Carson Wentz to get flustered, forcing a slew of incomplete passes. Sunday marked another history-making performance for Hunter, who earned his sixth sack of the 2019 season (leads the team). He set the record for the most sacks by an NFL player under 25 years old (stat became official in 1982).

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-vikings-defense-stole-the-show-against-eagles?sf221456415=1

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

If you give any validity to PFF, they have Mackensie Alexander being better than Gilmore.  Also, if there is anything that the Vikings have over the Patriots is age.  Gilmore, the McCourtys, Chung and Harmon are all 28 or older.  On the Vikings' roster, only Xavier and Harrison are over 28. 

As far as Kendricks, I'm not sure that he wasn't expecting someone over the top on that play where he got beat.  I don't know the play call, but it certainly looked like that could have been the case. 

I give very little validity to PFF, just the fact that is what it says shows just how little that type of stat taking can mean.  I assume it is because it is all about averages and does not take into account one is a starter, Alexander has been injured and even when healthy is only sometimes on the field.  How can anyone compare a player who starts all the time and has played all year to one who has not even played all year or starts all the time?  

Still to even think Alexander is better than Gilmore is insane, Gilmore is a Pro bowler and 1st team All pro, could argue he is the best pure corner CB in the NFL currently.  Alexander would be lucky to be ever a Pro bowl player much less an All Pro of any kind.

Could argue Jonathan Jones and JC Jackson have done more on the field as young players than Alexander or Hughes.  Those two for the Vikings have to prove themselves and become boundary players or amazing slot corners and neither one has done that.  Alexander has improved a ton but still needs to take it to another level and Hughes is still not really proven because of the injury last year..  And I would take Joejuan Williams over Holton Hill all day long.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

No way would I say Eric Kendricks is the 2nd best LB in the entire NFL and with Zimmer, I agree with him completely PFF blows.  Give me Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, even possibly Termaine Edmunds or Devin Bush over Eric Kendricks all day long.  Not sure I would even take him over Roquan Smith either in terms of upside.  Great he is ranked that high but in no way on earth is he the 2nd best LB in the NFL.  PFF sucks man...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Sunday marked another history-making performance for Hunter, who earned his sixth sack of the 2019 season (leads the team). He set the record for the most sacks by an NFL player under 25 years old (stat became official in 1982).

just for fun i looked up hunter's contract and forgot that while he's making ~$15 million the next few years in 2023 he's set to make $12 million at 29 years old (and presumably still very much in his prime). players like khalil mack, demarcus lawrence and frank clark are all set to make about $26 million. 

now, if he's still producing like he is now then i'm sure he'll be making more via extension but it still shows how much of a steal his contract is. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, whitehops said:

just for fun i looked up hunter's contract and forgot that while he's making ~$15 million the next few years in 2023 he's set to make $12 million at 29 years old (and presumably still very much in his prime). players like khalil mack, demarcus lawrence and frank clark are all set to make about $26 million. 

now, if he's still producing like he is now then i'm sure he'll be making more via extension but it still shows how much of a steal his contract is. 

It's also a testament to the team finding and developing talent deeper (or after) in the draft.

Hunter/Griffen/Hill/Diggs/Thielen/Harris/Weatherly/Stephen

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Weatherly took a step back this year it seems. I wonder whats up with that..?

Odenigbo has stepped up at least.

For Weatherly, it is somewhat an opportunity thing with Everson back to being Everson. But I agree that he has still had some opportunities and he hasn't really been taking advantage of them this year. I have seen him on the field a bit but haven't seen him making many plays. Maybe he is a guy that does better when he is in the rhythm playing most downs. Not really sure, but yeah it would be nice to see him producing more when he is spelling the starters.

• Like 1

Through six games, the Vikings defense ranks fifth in the league by allowing 310.3 yards per game, and are sixth with 15.5 points allowed per game.

If it wasn’t already clear at this point, let’s restate: coverage matters. The Vikings have a top three PFF coverage grade in the NFL as a team, joining the Patriots and the 49ers. It has been their linebackers and safeties — Eric Kendricks, Anthony Harris and Harrison Smith — that have been most impressive in coverage. The Vikings linebackers and safeties have combined for 15 forced incompletions, which is five more than any other team in the league. Meanwhile on their pass rush, both Danielle Hunter (39 pressures) and Everson Griffen (36 pressures) rank among the top five defenders league-wide in total pressures.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-explosive-plays-adam-thielen-stefon-diggs-on-the-rise?sf221683254=1

it should be noted that Myles Garrett is currently on pace to break hunter's record, though there is a lot of time before that happens (he could slump. miss games, etc.).

he's played 33 games and has 29.5 sacks (0.89 sacks per game). at that pace he'll get nine more sacks this year to put him at 38.5. he would then have ~15 games next season (his birthday is December 29th) to get at 8+ sacks (depending how many hunter gets in the next two games), which he should without much trouble based on his career output. 

For reference, hunter has averaged 0.68 sacks a game and 0.74 if you exclude his rookie season where he was a situational rusher. 

• Like 3