2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

To me, there's absolutely no question it's better as it is right now, than with Richardson and Wilson.  Richardson never impressed me at all, and he made the defense worse as far as I was concerned.  

He did generate quite a bit of pressure up the middle and the defense has missed that quite a bit. This years defense has also dropped off compared to last year too. I do recall Richardson falling off towards the middle of the year.

Has Barr earned his contract in your eyes?

The defense has been quite a bit better against the run this year, and a big part of that is Stephen replacing Richardson IMO.

They've been worse against the deep pass, but that's not because of a lack of interior pass rush. The CBs haven't been making plays.

Richardson hasn't been great in Cleveland. Only has 1 sack and 1 hit (though he does have 21 hurries, which is respectable). 

Barr has been just OK this year but he's still a good LB who affects what offenses do.

Barr is also a leader on the team. Richardson was not. 

9 minutes ago, Krauser said:

They've been worse against the deep pass, but that's not because of a lack of interior pass rush. The CBs haven't been making plays.

I'm not sure if that statement is based on statistics or not, but just watching the games it seems to be missing. There have been a ton of plays where one or both ends forces the QB to move, and there is space for the QB to step up and allow the deep routes to develop. Maybe that's happening because the CBs aren't forcing receivers off of their routes as often, but it does seem like the QB has time to let receivers get open. It also probably feels that way because it has been happening on critical down and distance plays over the past two games.

34 minutes ago, Krauser said:

The defense has been quite a bit better against the run this year, and a big part of that is Stephen replacing Richardson IMO.

Richardson hasn't been great in Cleveland. Only has 1 sack and 1 hit (though he does have 21 hurries, which is respectable). 

Barr has been just OK this year but he's still a good LB who affects what offenses do.

Barr is also a leader on the team. Richardson was not. 

I believe it does have something to do with the lack of a pass rush.  At least from the games that I saw.  Not fully on the interior pass rush but some? Absolutely. 

They have one of the higher rates of pressures in the league this year.

A lot of the big plays they’ve given up have come from fairly quick throws. On the slow developing ones, many of them have come from max protect packages, or else from their edge rushers losing contain (especially in the Dallas game). There have also been a couple of successful deep gadget/trick plays.

On most of their biggest completions allowed, the DBs have been in good position but have failed to make a play on the ball. That’s the problem with their pass defense right now, much more so than the interior pass rush.

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

They have one of the higher rates of pressures in the league this year.

A lot of the big plays they’ve given up have come from fairly quick throws. On the slow developing ones, many of them have come from max protect packages, or else from their edge rushers losing contain (especially in the Dallas game). There have also been a couple of successful deep gadget/trick plays.

On most of their biggest completions allowed, the DBs have been in good position but have failed to make a play on the ball. That’s the problem with their pass defense right now, much more so than the interior pass rush.

I’ve always been of the belief that if your pass rush is great, that in itself would make an even below average - mediocre pass defense look pretty good. This team is in dire need of more pass rush than they’ve been getting. Our interior pass rush being more of a focal point can only help. 

Our secondary has proven themselves to just not be very good this year. So by simple observation - though I’m no NFL coach - stressing the interior pass rush would have more effect on them than just telling them to get better  

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

I’ve always been of the belief that if your pass rush is great, that in itself would make an even below average - mediocre pass defense look pretty good. This team is in dire need of more pass rush than they’ve been getting. Our interior pass rush being more of a focal point can only help. 

Our secondary has proven themselves to just not be very good this year. So by simple observation - though I’m no NFL coach - stressing the interior pass rush would have more effect on them than just telling them to get better  

I don't have any stats...but from my perspective, it appears that big plays against the Vikes DB's occurs when the opposing quarterback is able to step up in the pocket.  That tells me the interior penetration is not effective.

Vikings passrush this year has some extreme stats....Vikings Edge Rushers (Hunter + Griffen) lead the league among all the edge rushing duos in pressures generated. On the other hand, the Vikings interior is dead last in the league in pressures created. If that Interior was atleast average, then the pass rush and thereby whole defense itself would be so much better.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

The scoring stats are still quite good, but it doesn't SEEM like the defense is still great. We'll see in the coming weeks......and in the playoffs.....just how good it is, or is not.

I really think that part of it is how dominant we are used to them being but we don't realize how much other defense also struggle at times.

I wouldn't say that they are great but I think they are still pretty good with a chance to be great yet

• Like 1

Vikings coaches focused on improving pass defense during the bye week; the team's secondary through 11 games ranks in the bottom half of the league in yardage (20th), big plays (22nd) and touchdowns (23rd).

Zimmer: "We spent a lot of time with it. Spent a lot of time in the last couple of days on fundamentals, reteaching the things that we feel are important going forward in these last five ballgames."

Rhodes: "We just got to finish, that's the key. That's our biggest thing is just finishing the coverage. You watch film, you watch our games, we're in coverage. We're just not finishing, not batting the ball, not picking the ball off."

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-coaches-focus-on-improving-pass-defense/565548212/