2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

We haven’t added any young, or fast talent to the front 7 since 2015 and it’s showing. 

Odiningbo is showing promise as a rotational piece, but I agree. With Hunter and Griffen as the DEs, they’ve relied on filing those depth spots with high upside guys at the end of the draft. Joseph has been fantastic for years, so there was never really a reason to add another NT, until this year when age appears to be catching up. 

But UT is a bit puzzling, they’ve tried a few tweener types there and Jaleel Johnson has never really taken the next step as potential starter. Stephen was always an okay rotational piece that got propped up by Joseph playing well.

Im fine with how DE has been handled over the years, but the DT situation is a mess.

• Like 2

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

In my not so expert opinion, the scheme was ok in slowing Russel down but the D-line got manhandled by the Seahawks and Rhodes happened. Maybe they missed making some adjustments but sometimes the players just don't make the plays

I'd be curious to see what percentage of running plays Seattle had a 6th OL in the play. Of course we're going to get bullied off of the ball 6 on 4.

29 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'd be curious to see what percentage of running plays Seattle had a 6th OL in the play. Of course we're going to get bullied off of the ball 6 on 4.

the seahawks have used the most (iirc) 6 OL formations in the league, and a graphic in the early fourth (maybe late third Q) said they played the most snaps with 6 OL in any game league-wide. add another quarter to that graphic and i wouldn't be surprised if they used 6 OL about 75% of their snaps which is way more than the next highest in a game this season. EDIT: just saw that george fant played 41 snaps as a 6th OL, not sure how many snaps seattle's offense had total though.

it's smart really, we had 2 safeties high the majority of the game to protect against their deep ball, which they do really well. but that means we had 7 men in the box the majority of the night and their 6 OL lineups just ate. 

Edited by whitehops