2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

I was looking through the snap counts a little more. Rhodes had 60 snaps and Hughes only had 19 last week. I thought that Rhodes had the most of anyone but I read it wrong at first. It really didn't make much sense to play Hughes that little. I was thinking that he was getting more playing time.

Also Irv Smith has more snaps than Rudolph this week and the same last week. I found that interesting

12 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Also Irv Smith has more snaps than Rudolph this week and the same last week. I found that interesting

That likely tells you what is to come (next year).  Although, it could be that they wanted to give him more snaps against a lesser opponent and just rest up Rudy for the more important games.  

On 2019-12-09 at 7:54 PM, vikesfan89 said:

I was looking through the snap counts a little more. Rhodes had 60 snaps and Hughes only had 19 last week. I thought that Rhodes had the most of anyone but I read it wrong at first. It really didn't make much sense to play Hughes that little. I was thinking that he was getting more playing time.

Those were the numbers for the Seahawks game. Against Detroit, both Rhodes and Hughes got 29 snaps (though both were limited by injury, which is why Hill played so much as the game went on).

On 2019-12-09 at 11:24 AM, JDBrocks said:

Interesting that Mack Alexander had the most snaps at CB yesterday. He's definitely one of the priority FAs this off season, IMO.

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but one of the changes in the defense over the past few games is that Hughes isn't playing in the slot anymore.  

Through week 9 (Chiefs game), Alexander (106 coverage snaps, though he missed one game) and Hughes (95 coverage snaps) split the slot corner duties fairly evenly. Kearse had some significant work there too, early on, when Hughes still wasn't back yet and Alexander had the elbow injury. 

In week 10 (Cowboys game), Hughes played exclusively outside, and had that rough game in coverage against Cooper. He's stayed outside ever since. In the 4 games since Dallas, Alexander has handled basically all the slot corner work -- 119 coverage snaps, compared to tiny numbers for the other corners (6 for Waynes, 4 for Hughes, 3 for Hill). 

Agree that they should extend Alexander. He hasn't played as well as he did in 2018, but he's been solid. As a pure slot, he won't break the bank. He's only 26, and should be good for several more years playing inside.

• Like 2

Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter has been named the NFC’s defensive player of the week as a result of his performance against Detroit. It’s the second time he’s taken the prize.

Hunter had seven overall tackles in the win over the Lions. He heads into Week 15 needing 2.5 sacks in order to set a new career high for a single season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/danielle-hunter-is-the-nfc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

• Like 1

For as frustrating as this unit has been to watch at times this year they're still tied for 6th in points allowed at 259 (18.5/game) and are within striking distance of #3.

1. Patriots - 181
2. Bills - 222
3. Bears - 253
4. Ravens - 257
5. 49ers - 258
6. Vikings/Steelers - 259

We're 18th in 3rd down conversion percentage at 39.7 - which has probably led to a lot of my frustrations in watching this unit.