2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

Brett Kollman is a fan of Mike Zimmer’s defense:

Mostly about the pass rush, with a few examples of play recognition and awareness on the back end. 

The analysis fits with the observation that the defense is more effective after the first drive or so of scripted plays, and that they’re vulnerable to new looks.

• Like 5

What the hell was that against the Lions?  Getting walked up and down the field and Rhodes was just awful out there.  Did not win the 1 on 1 situations obviously and seriously the CBs on the team look scared not confident.  Waynes got beat, Alexander got beat and so did Hughes when Rhodes was out for a little bit.

I am not confident in any of those guys honestly with how they have played this season to be the man at corner for this year or beyond.  They got a big problem developing at that spot.  Could argue it is the biggest issue on the team currently, not even the offensive line is higher than that honestly.

Not sure if it is the zone off press defense they are playing but good QBs are not having issues against it at all.  Packers ripped them up when they played that off coverage and the Lions did this weekend.  Got the W and that is great but that defense if the pass rush does not get there they are in trouble, and if they get spread out they do not have the horses to cover all those guys and there will be receivers open all over the field.  Stafford is a great QB and had a great game but still.  They are lucky Mahomes is injured when they play the Chiefs, just think how much they would rip this defensive apart with the weapons they have and with the arm talent Mahomes has.

Hopefully they can figure something out but the DBs look slow and are not reacting well to the football in the air.  For a defensive guy like Zimmer I am sure he hates it, but this off coverage bend do not break thing is not working.  It is far too easy to complete passes with that type of D and they are not good enough at getting turnovers to do it honestly.  Only way you play that off consistently is if you can intercept the ball and turn them over and they have not show the ability to do that.  Alexander and Hughes seem to only be slot guys and they are just average at that, not sure any of them could be an outside corner in the league.  

Who will be the boundary and or field corner when Rhodes gets traded or cut next year and Waynes is not resigned?  Maybe it will be a good thing getting someone else in there but not sure who that would even be.  

Bryce Hall is a little too much like Rhodes in his lack of foot speed or quickness but does have arguably better ball skills, but he is out for the rest of the year on Virginia.  AJ Terrell is good on Clemson but has been getting beat more this year.  AJ Green is good but not sure he is a 1st round talent, same with CJ Henderson.  Camryn Bynum I would love in the 2nd round and he has a great mind of the game and could be an outside corner.  Okudah on Ohio State I like and would love in the 2nd round but could climb to a 1st round pick, and Josiah Scott I love his tackling and toughness but needs to show better ball skills.  Amik Robertson I love at CB, could be there 2nd round maybe also but is arguably playing as good as any CB in the nation but does not go up against elite guys so hard to tell.  Is short but at least he has ball skills and is tough and quick, could play slot or outside.  

So they got options, and sure QB seems like an option in the draft and the OL spot but CB is right up there and sadly DT as well.  Still CB is a big big time need unless some things changes and Rhodes all of a sudden gets quick tough again.

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m sure we will spend another first on a CB after losing Rhodes or Waynes.

For sure but sadly one could say safety is also an issue I guess, especially if they do not resign Harris which could totally happen.  I would not mind McKinney on Bama as a safety but he is a little more physical and similar to what Smith does but can play slot and cover and is tough.  Almost like the Vikings need more a speed/coverage safety, almost a CB playing safety, heck move Rhodes to FS might not be the worst idea.  Hell I would love Antonie Winfield Jr in the 3rd round if he even declares as a RS SOPH.  Kid can run, tackle and play the football, only issue is his injury history that he has, could be a fine next level FS if he stays healthy.  

Delpit would be the ideal but no way we get him.  Amik really looks good as a 2nd rounder though and might even be a late 1st rounder as a CB, has 5 INTs and 11 PD this season already. 

6 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

While you are right that it might not be the worst idea I can only imagine how often he would get injured trying to come down hill and blow up a play.

Very true but if his days of playing CB are done for, which looks like the case it is an option outside of cutting him which is another option.  I think he is strong and physical, and honestly Harrison can do the tackling at SS and Rhodes could be more the FS away from the line of scrimmage if we let Harris go in 2020 and I doubt we even have the money to pay Harris next year honestly anyway.  

So it would be an option instead of needing to get a new starting CB and a new starting FS moving Rhodes.  It could be an idea, clearly would not happen this year because Harris is still on the roster and not like Harris can play corner or something.  And sadly Rhodes is not quick enough for the slot so that is not an option either.  Maybe he is just injured or something but he does not look like the same player, last year was a little dip at the end of this year, this year he has taken a big step backward I think as a player.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Very true but if his days of playing CB are done for, which looks like the case it is an option outside of cutting him which is another option.  I think he is strong and physical, and honestly Harrison can do the tackling at SS and Rhodes could be more the FS away from the line of scrimmage if we let Harris go in 2020 and I doubt we even have the money to pay Harris next year honestly anyway.  

So it would be an option instead of needing to get a new starting CB and a new starting FS moving Rhodes.  It could be an idea, clearly would not happen this year because Harris is still on the roster and not like Harris can play corner or something.  And sadly Rhodes is not quick enough for the slot so that is not an option either.  Maybe he is just injured or something but he does not look like the same player, last year was a little dip at the end of this year, this year he has taken a big step backward I think as a player.  

I see them coming back to Rhodes in the offseason for renegotiation, like they did with Everson this year.  And if he's not willing to renegotiate, then they'll just flat out cut him.  I'm fairly confident that they'll resign Harris in some manner.  Either way, the defense is going to look different in 2020.  

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I see them coming back to Rhodes in the offseason for renegotiation, like they did with Everson this year.  And if he's not willing to renegotiate, then they'll just flat out cut him.  I'm fairly confident that they'll resign Harris in some manner.  Either way, the defense is going to look different in 2020.  

Can’t forget about Alexander too. He’s developed into a good slot CB and those can be hard to find. I think Alexander will be a priority over Harris.

Edited by vikingsrule

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Sometimes older players take a dip in play once they start losing physical ability but once they figure out a different way to play they bounce back and become pretty good players again. Maybe Zimmer and Rhodes just have to make some adjustments to him slowing down

I have no doubts that'll be the case, he's just going to have to play a little smarter..he'll have to bring Terence back in to help him adjust.  ;)