Hopefully, this is the plan to finish out 2019 season & beyond.

aceinthehouse

#1)Have to trade Trent Williams before the 2019 trade deadline which is Oct. 29th. This distraction has gone on long enough.

2)Have to start Haskins for the remainder of the year. We need to know if he is the QB for the future of this team, before the 2020 NFL draft. If he's not ready, than you simply the Offense. Run the ball more, if you must. Make him wear those playbook arm bands that James's Winston wears. Winning or Losing doesn't even matter at this point,  Because we will have a new coach in 2020, anyways.

3) We need to consider other trades we can make besides Trent Williams, so we can have some ammo for the 2020 & 2021 draft. I don't want to speculate who so much, but this could put our new Coach in a better position to evaluate our talent. Maybe some older guys, who won't  be around for a rebuild might be choices to consider?

There's probably a bunch more to list, but these are the 3, I would like to see happen & soon.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Just now, aceinthehouse said:

#1)Have to trade Trent Williams before the 2019 trade deadline which is Oct. 29th. This distraction has gone on long enough.

It sucks because he's our best player, but I agree.  

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

2)Have to start Haskins for the remainder of the year. We need to know if he is the QB for the future of this team, before the 2020 NFL draft. If he's not ready, than you simply the Offense. Run the ball more, if you must. Make him wear those playbook arm bands that James's Winston wears. Winning or Losing doesn't even matter at this point,  Because we will have a new coach in 2020, anyways.

I mean he should have started all year.  Yes he needs to start the rest of the season.  

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

3) We need to consider other trades we can make besides Trent Williams, so we can have some ammo for the 2020 & 2021 draft. I don't want to speculate who so much, but this could put our new Coach in a better position to evaluate our talent. Maybe some older guys, who won't  be around for a rebuild might be choices to consider?

Agreed here too, although I don't know who we have that will garner interest.  Ryan Kerrigan maybe, but that would would hurt more than trading Trent IMO.  Matt Ioannidis could probably net a pick, then we could play Payne full time at DE and start Settle.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean he should have started all year.  Yes he needs to start the rest of the season.  

Agreed here too, although I don't know who we have that will garner interest.  Ryan Kerrigan maybe, but that would would hurt more than trading Trent IMO.  Matt Ioannidis could probably net a pick, then we could play Payne full time at DE and start Settle.  

What about Norman?

Maybe a mid rounder for him, or has he sucked too bad this year.

56 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Have to trade Trent Williams before the 2019 trade deadline which is Oct. 29th. This distraction has gone on long enough.

I’m interested to find out if the coaching shakeup will affect Trent’s willingness to return to the fold. I doubt it, but it would certainly be easier to navigate the rebuild/transition to Haskins if we had LT locked down for the most part. 

Bill Barnwell suggested this very morning that a 1st rounder would still be the price for Trent. I’m skeptical, but if that’s the case, I’d deal him tomorrow. 

56 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Just throwing Haskins out there because “we have to see” is the wrong approach. It just is. You draft a QB and your goal as a franchise should be to build him into a star over the course of 3-4 years — not to throw him out there as soon as possible, regardless of whether he’s ready, with the goal of determining whether you should immediately dump him and replace him if he’s not immediately productive. 

What I would lean towards is what Andy Reid did with McNabb as a rookie about twenty years ago. He didn’t start him. He gave him a couple series per game, carefully controlled and likely well-rehearsed, to let him get his feet wet. And worked him up to the full-time starting gig around Week 10 (would be Week 11, just after the bye week, for us). 

And he was mostly awful. The roster was terrible around him on offense, and this approach allowed him to work his way up into some degree of competency and comfort, before getting the reins full-time. And he took a big step forward the next season. 

The Redskins have at least one QB on the roster that is better than Doug Pederson was (maybe two, although I think McCoy basically is Doug Pederson). And they’re going nowhere this year anyway, so I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t be a little creative and find a way to ease Haskins into the starting role. 

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

We need to consider other trades we can make besides Trent Williams, so we can have some ammo for the 2020 & 2021 draft. I don't want to speculate who so much, but this could put our new Coach in a better position to evaluate our talent. Maybe some older guys, who won't  be around for a rebuild might be choices to consider?

Kerrigan is the obvious one. Especially if they’re (wisely) going to consider drafting Chase Young instead of a QB at the top of next year’s draft. Kerrigan would have value, I’d think at least a 3rd. 

Would happily trade Norman, I still think Sean McDermott in Buffalo would have some interest. But the likely return has definitely gone down for him, and it wasn’t that high to start with. 

I would think you’d have to consider trading Scherff — I don’t really want to give him the extension he’s looking for, but you also can’t just implode the entire OL while you’re trying to develop a young QB. 

I wonder if Seattle would have any interest in getting Paul Richardson back. His contract is very team-friendly — can cut him or easily leverage him into a renegotiation — and they don’t have much at WR behind Lockett and Metcalf. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Bill Barnwell suggested this very morning that a 1st rounder would still be the price for Trent. I’m skeptical, but if that’s the case, I’d deal him tomorrow. 

Bruce just said in his presser that he will not trade Trent.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't agree with playing Payne at DE. With Allen hurt, I saw Payne exposed at the DE postion. He needs to stay at DT.

Just now, Skins212689 said:

I don't agree with playing Payne at DE. With Allen hurt, I saw Payne exposed at the DE postion. He needs to stay at DT.

That wasn’t the problem. The problem was w/o Jon Allen on our DL the opposing teams doubled Payne every play and when Jon Allen is out there, that doesn’t happen.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

That wasn’t the problem. The problem was w/o Jon Allen on our DL the opposing teams doubled Payne every play and when Jon Allen is out there, that doesn’t happen.

So Allen doesn't get doubled teamed at the DE position, but still is capable of being effective? 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Bruce just said in his presser that he will not trade Trent.  

Silly. Everyone has a price. 

A 1st rounder would be a good price for Trent even if he wasn't holding out. Which of course suggests that no one is actually offering a 1st, or anything that close, but I keep hearing relatively plugged-in people making reference to that as a reasonable price tag for him.